Outlaw and Frisky Mongrel values

With all the talk of rising values of matching number, aussie delivered, etc ect.

Are cars like the two below "worth" the asking or still open to real negotiation.

I would not consider them an investment, they are toys. I have built a few cars, you will never get what you spend on a modified car.

Both have been for sale for ages.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1970/SSE-AD-2766704

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-3135336

Personally I love a modified car, I want to enjoy it and not be scared to do so because it has appriciated too much or be bound by originality.

Interesting isn't it. I also love the idea of an outlaw (rather than a purely replica car as I think these are trying to be). Outlaw to me isn't trying to be original. They have their own take on a 'new/old' P-car and can be very cool. Magnus walker outlaws with a lowered suspension, momo steering wheel, a couple of stickers, fatter wheels and some holes in his door handle. Must cost him $5K over the donor car cost :)

Go RS4 Autohaus direction and you will be paying $200,000++, and or course Singer at $$$$$$$$

I think it is all about the personal dream of making a personal P'Car, and that journey is worth a lot.

These 'replicas' - not for me. Mind you saw an original RS 2.7 this morning that had just sold for $950,000 so I certainly get why people do this

Well said Turbo.

See I don't care how much money a buyer has, driving and truely enjoying a 911 that cost $950K just can't be done.

A car like that come with a certain amount of responsibility as a caretaker.

For me it's about the car, and driving it like it was designed to be driven.

Guess it's an outlaw for me then.

Well said Turbo.

See I don't care how much money a buyer has, driving and truely enjoying a 911 that cost $950K just can't be done.

A car like that come with a certain amount of responsibility as a caretaker.

For me it's about the car, and driving it like it was designed to be driven.

Guess it's an outlaw for me then.

I'm on a search for a donor at the moment :) 

Hey Fraz,

I believe there is probably a good reason as to why both those cars have been sitting on the market for so long. The obvious reason is that they are over priced but the bigger question is why?

Both cars have potential it's just at what price I guess, cars like these seem to be hard to shift as the fresh paint and body kit can hide a lot of sins.

Hey Fraz,

I believe there is probably a good reason as to why both those cars have been sitting on the market for so long. The obvious reason is that they are over priced but the bigger question is why?

Both cars have potential it's just at what price I guess, cars like these seem to be hard to shift as the fresh paint and body kit can hide a lot of sins.

Probably a case of the owners trying to get back what they put in (or more likely a fraction of what they put in :) )

Lee,Same blue, different cars though. I reckon the one on PCNSW is the pick of the backdates at the moment: http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/DDAEA216911E543BC1257CFA0007C660#pagetopIt's been for sale for a while. Could be sold by now actually.

Oh no, Why you show me such things.

Anyone personally know the car or owner.

Probably a case of the owners trying to get back what they put in (or more likely a fraction of what they put in :) )

Why?

Optimistic sellers!

I'm sure the blue one was $53k on a Porsche club website not that long ago

Sorry, I should clarify that I don't necessarily see them as being over priced but obviously the market does (due to the fact they have been on the market for so long and not sold).

So in saying that my question was aimed at suspicion of deeper issues as they both appear to be priced ok on face value.

Or that potential Porsche buyers want more originality?

True though Hugh, unless one has the experience to see what problems are a potential costly nightmare, people are reluctant to buy a modified car.

My dad had an old saying. 'Buying a modified car, you're buying someone else's problems'! He was usually right too

I was a buyer when these and others were listed in oz. I did not want a LHD to rhd conversion. As Lee said.....someone else's problem. As soon as I saw the word conversion in the ad, I would have to move on.

That white RS clone has been on the market for months and months. The rear number plate panel looks odd, as has been noted prior. How much? Problem is that it's not a 71e anymore, it's not an RS either. It's market is purely a hotrod, and(guessing here) many hotrodders would want to build their own perfect replica.

The value of these cars remind me of the problem with 356 speedster clones. Such a small market, and no matter how well and how many original parts are used, it's still a replica and very difficult to sell.

Check it out, a real Singer for sale in oz!!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Singer-Gazelle-1966/SSE-AD-2355248/?Cr=0

....Ok, maybe not the one we are all hoping for

that will be the true test of the value of an 'outlaw' when we see a second hand Singer for sale :). Magnus has certainly proved he can add value (still wished I had been in the market when his 930 was on ebay last year)

I was a buyer when these and others were listed in oz. I did not want a LHD to rhd conversion. As Lee said.....someone else's problem. As soon as I saw the word conversion in the ad, I would have to move on.

That white RS clone has been on the market for months and months. The rear number plate panel looks odd, as has been noted prior. How much? Problem is that it's not a 71e anymore, it's not an RS either. It's market is purely a hotrod, and(guessing here) many hotrodders would want to build their own perfect replica.

The value of these cars remind me of the problem with 356 speedster clones. Such a small market, and no matter how well and how many original parts are used, it's still a replica and very difficult to sell.

i wonder how much of a job it would be to get it back to a E 

i wonder how much of a job it would be to get it back to a E 

Looking at prices for original spotlights for my T, I would have to answer your question with LOTS $$$$$$$$$$

It would be a huge undertaking, and then it would be grandfathers axe.

I would leave it, drive it, enjoy it and then sell it - $40k would be my price.

The thing is with modified cars...if you're going to start from originality, you want to do it yourself. So for me, I'd rather buy a project and finish it my way. Or, if I found one exactly the way I would do it myself, then it would be worthwhile.

So that's why I think they take so long to sell. Tiny market of buyers.

My mate is building a 67 912 with a 6 cylinder in it. Converted car too, yet I dare anyone to find a problem with the conversion without putting it on a jig.

He knows the completed cars value wont be anywhere near an original car, nor what he has spent on it, yet knowing him and seeing the car in the flesh a few times, the level of quality he is achieving would far surpass a standard car attracting big dollars.

Whether a purist would like it remains to be seen.

I much prefer a RHD car, yet I havent had the opportunity to drive my lefty very far to do a comparison.

I love modified Porsches more than a stock one (race replicas especially) but thats the beauty of these iconic machines. There are no rules, and thats what I like

Archived