Advice Wanted: Shipping Wheels Interstate

Occasionally I see a set of wheels that I might like.  I'm in Melbourne and for some reason all the wheels I like seem to be from sellers based interstate.

Does anyone have advice with shipping interstate?  Costs?   How to pack to minimise damage etc? Best freigh companies?

Thx in advance, Doug

e-go couriers are by far the cheapest I have come across, good web page that will give you an accurate price, best packed into wheel boxes.

I got 4 wheels from Melbourne to Hobart for about $60 or there a bouts.

not much dearer for elsewhere. Price was depot to depot too

e-go.com.au

cheers

Edited by ANF

e-go I have used them for many sets of wheels. 

At first they where so cheap I was scared, but they have never failed.

I cut out cardboard discs and tape them on to protect the front face of the wheels.

Gives a good spot to stick the con note.

This, every time. Boxes not needed, especially if the wheels have tyres on them

Great feedback.

At first I wondered whether the weight and bulk of the tyres would add considerably to the shipping cost, but given how economical it is, it is worth keeping them on for the extra protection of the wheels.

I like the idea of the cardboard discs.  It looks too easy.

doug e-go are good and i use them for all sorts of things - an option if without tyres, is to get the seller to pick up some boxes from the local tyre shop. if they have tyres at same place for 20-30 bucks theyll take the tyres off. easy shipping

aother altenrate is to use freightseek

ive also got a wheels to ship from WA and SA

Edited by michel

• 4 years later...

Dredging up an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Purchasing 2nd hand rims and tyres interstate (Newcastle) to me in Perth. Tried the quick quote on the e-go.com.au website but it keeps giving me a quote of $400-$570 depot to depot. 

They are 5 x 4WD rims and tyres 265/60r18 on steel 18x8" rims.  (I need the tyres as well so can't separate them from the rims)

Reading the above quotes between $50-$105 I must be doing something wrong! Help!

I was hoping the gent I'm purchasing them from would just have to print out a con note and place it on each of the 5 rim/tyres rather than have to worry him about a pallet etc.

What am i doing wrong?  Thanks

What is the overall weight/ size of each wheel/ tyre combo?

You should be able to just wrap them, say in cling film, and put label on each one.

Guessing weight of say 20kg each I can get $267, all depends upon the overall size?

Last time I got wheels, last year, their prices had gone up though.....

44 minutes ago, ANF said:

What is the overall weight/ size of each wheel/ tyre combo?

You should be able to just wrap them, say in cling film, and put label on each one.

Guessing weight of say 20kg each I can get $267, all depends upon the overall size?

Last time I got wheels, last year, their prices had gone up though.....

Is that $267/wheel or overall?  I think the volume is more important that weight though. Would love to know how you got $267 if that is for all 5 wheels. I assumed 20kg per wheel as well but used dimensions of 78cm x 78cm x 27cm per wheel.

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Try transdirect.com.au for an alternative quote. I’ve sued them for several wheel sets over the years.

Be careful when filing in the forms in terms of number of items and weight per item etc. 

Their service must have been pretty poor if you had to sue them! 🤣

Thanks, just checked them out.

cheapest I can work out is $350 Newcastle to Perth (using 5 x 20kg, 77cm x 77cm x 26cm)

2 hours ago, Diamond911 said:

Is that $267/wheel or overall?  I think the volume is more important that weight though. Would love to know how you got $267 if that is for all 5 wheels. I assumed 20kg per wheel as well but used dimensions of 78cm x 78cm x 27cm per wheel.

I under estimated the overall size.

As @spiller mentioned, larger wheels... I got 4 x 17 inch wheels only from Newcastle to Hobart 12 months ago for $156.