Low km car - what needs changing?

m1dl1fe

Ive just bought my first ever Porsche a 2002 996.2. It has only done 37k km.I could be the happiest person in Oz right now!! I am going to get the ims bearing upgraded and I was wondering what else would be a good idea to get changed/inspected on a car with such low kms at the same time ?  Thanks in advance

midlife i reckon that car has been babied and ticks all the boxes... check the service records and see that they are up to date...

oil is cheap and i change that yearly or at 5000klms......its usually yearly....i suggest if books are good then just drive it for a bit....

AND  i reckon you should change your name.....owning a great car is not a midlife thing , its a because you F###### can and you appreciate motoring artworks..

just saying

Thanks guys. Service book isn't bad but been a while since the last one. So i'll get a major service and ims upgrade done and maybe leave it at that for now. Unless theres other things that should be done as the car obviously doesn't move very much -- and I'll check out pelicanparts today .

cheers

Apparently the air-oil separator dingle-bob can give problems because it's an engine out job in a 996.  So if you're getting the IMS bearing done it might pay to put it on your list.  Just what I've read from researching buying a 996 myself. 

Air-Oil Separator Dingle-Bob Replacement

Air-Oil Separator(Dingle-Bob)

Is it a good idea to replace the water pump?

The water pumps are a known failure, they start to leak after a few years like most modern plastic gizmotrons, if you are working in that area replace it.

Drive it well and get above 5,000rpm, I just had my car serviced by Porsche today and thats what they keep telling me! Love itttt

They were also telling me that the cars that dont get driven well are the ones that develop problems

Enjoy

So a bit of an update ... went for the upgrade ims bearing - new clutch - new water pump - major service including spark plugs and break fluid and new tensioners and pulleys. Picked it up today from Hamiltons , the car looks like its two years old and couldnt be happier. Next going to put the aux input cable in and in the future maybe a louder exhaust but in the meantime going to add some kms !!!!

Archived