And so it Begins...the GT4 Profiteeeering.

roders

Yeah I agree I can't see how he's going to get that.  You can almost pick up a 991 GT3 for what he is asking.

Porsche did still have an allocation of Spyder's a few month's back as well... I expect with all the hype and focus on the GT4 there are probably allocations still available.

Porsche have released a further round of allocations for the GT4.  Plenty of people on the wait list in the US have received the call up in the last 24 hours or so with confirmed allocations, so it'll be interesting to see how many they build when production ceases. 

WTF :wacko: You would have to be stupid to pay that for a 3.8L Manual Porsche - I paid 1/3 that for my 997.1 3.8... it's manual, it has carbon buckets, sports chrono, sports suspension, GT3 body kit etc...  Far out, people get misled with marketing hype. Collector car, whatever! - all Porsches are collectors if you look after them.  

WTF :wacko: You would have to be stupid to pay that for a 3.8L Manual Porsche - I paid 1/3 that for my 997.1 3.8... it's manual, it has carbon buckets, sports chrono, sports suspension, GT3 body kit etc...   

We may just have to agree to disagree................:)

WTF :wacko: You would have to be stupid to pay that for a 3.8L Manual Porsche - I paid 1/3 that for my 997.1 3.8... it's manual, it has carbon buckets, sports chrono, sports suspension, GT3 body kit etc...

Having a (far off) clone is very different to an actual GT Porsche in many countless ways - Just cause it looks the same doesn't mean it is the same..... I would suggest you try to experience them to understand the fuss :)

There are reasons why people buy these cars. It's not a fact of marketing because we all know that Porsche doesn't particularly need to advertise their top tier cars for sales

Having a (far off) clone is very different to an actual GT Porsche in many countless ways - Just cause it looks the same doesn't mean it is the same..... I would suggest you try to experience them to understand the fuss :)

There are reasons why people buy these cars. It's not a fact of marketing because we all know that Porsche doesn't particularly need to advertise their top tier cars for sales

Yes, there are reasons to buy a GT car - mainly to track it.  If you're not going to track it, why go that expense - as in $289k for a GT4... you'd be better off getting something softer  - or as you say it - far off clone.  If you are going to track, why not get a 997 cup car on a trailer for 1/4 the cost of that GT4.  

On the streets, I would argue the fun factor is how you drive... a $15k Boxster driven hard will get you in as much trouble as a $289k GT4...  Yes, on the track it's a different story. 

I've driven plenty of GT3s to know the difference - but I needed a daily driver and a GT3 would be left over every speed bump and driveway all over town.  My car goes to the track and the shops, and it was way less than that GT4. 

Yeah, nah.  GT cars have a certain Aura that will always attract a premium.  Common sense doesn't apply, it's about passion and potential not usable performance. 

Looks like we have the first one in country for sale at $100K over MSRP.

Someone had to do it......

http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-cayman-2015-27513446?ref=RecentItem

Not even with LWB's......

Apparently it does a 4.2 0-100 so the premium must be due to it being a special 'limited edition'. :)

Porsche have released a further round of allocations for the GT4.  Plenty of people on the wait list in the US have received the call up in the last 24 hours or so with confirmed allocations, so it'll be interesting to see how many they build when production ceases. 

In the US they are getting more, but I wonder how many more we will get in aus.  I suspect the total build number is going to stick to the original 2.5k number.

Yes, there are reasons to buy a GT car - mainly to track it.  If you're not going to track it, why go that expense - as in $289k for a GT4... you'd be better off getting something softer  - or as you say it - far off clone.  If you are going to track, why not get a 997 cup car on a trailer for 1/4 the cost of that GT4.  

On the streets, I would argue the fun factor is how you drive... a $15k Boxster driven hard will get you in as much trouble as a $289k GT4...  Yes, on the track it's a different story. 

I've driven plenty of GT3s to know the difference - but I needed a daily driver and a GT3 would be left over every speed bump and driveway all over town.  My car goes to the track and the shops, and it was way less than that GT4. 

You could say the same for an mx5, but here we all are buying Porsches.  Drive one on the street back to back with a S or a GTS and you will then appreciate the price premium.  The GT4 is an awesome daily driver.

Buyers of GT cars are not making rational economic decisions (albeit they do have a habit of anti depreciation).  Most guys who track a GT car would do so a few times a year and want to be able to spend a lot more time enjoying it on road.  that is in fact the brilliance of these cars - can be cruised around town or flat out on track.

If you are looking for something to comfortably negotiate speed bumps and driveways, I agree a GT car is not for you.  Probably an SUV with comfort mode or knackered dampers could suit better.

Looks like they have just released 2nd round of production allocations.

Another 1000 for the US market which had 600 in the first round.

Given AU had 70, you would thing that means around 70-100 more for Australia? Given the same ratio increase.

Not sure about impact of marketing.  Product development is the key.  The cars get rave reviews from the Chris Harris's and EVO's and others and so enthusiasts want what they've read about and demand steadily grows with each new offering to market that surpasses the last.  The cars sell themselves on their greatness.

;)  down to brilliant marketing by Porsche...

They need not do such a thing. The publicity and the so called "marketing" it gets is purely generated through the car's ability to speak for itself, thus creating the countless positive reviews it receives...

Not sure about impact of marketing.  Product development is the key.  The cars get rave reviews from the Chris Harris's and EVO's and others and so enthusiasts want what they've read about and demand steadily grows with each new offering to market that surpasses the last.  The cars sell themselves on their greatness.

that's marketing...

As much as the GT4 is from all accounts a brilliant vehicle..at $290 ish thats a 911…GTS , s/hand….  but who i am to throw stones. If I could get in line I would for the 911 R.. now that will be marketing hype at its best !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived