FINALLY !!! I GOT IT !

Steve88

Congrats sir, you sound like you are super wrapt, I've had my guards sc for  3 years and it still takes me breath away every time open the garage door... Not many cars still do that to me years after Buying them. Chris at Weissach Sports in Coburg looks after my car, pedantic dude and a good mechanic In my opinion. Love the colour combo too.

Well done Steve - Congrats

Re: Oil leak by right rear tyre, I would start by tightening the 7mm nuts holding in the oil level sender (they were loose on mine) factor in a $10 gasket for your next oil change, that way you can change that then

Re: Noise. The cheapest method is a muffler

Re: God awful wiring. Spend some time rerouting the wires properly. I invested in some velcro mesh that I placed around all the wires and subsequently cable tied to appropriate places to hide all the wires! NOTE: be careful not to pull out the brown earth wires from the body points.

Re: Servicing. Look into AutoArt in Preston, I can recommend them as no BS service and advise

See you out on the streets and one of the SMTs!

Great to see another red SC in Melbourne.

Phil and Darren at Auto Coupe in Eltham are the guys you have to get to know.

I suggest you do the minimum as a new owner - just get it going & get used to it, dont get too overenthusiastic & paint yourself into a corner with ambitious upgrades &/or fixes (they can come later!!).

But heavy steering doesnt sound right - my 78 SC has a smaller Momo wheel and its not heavy. Get that checked out as 911 steering is really simple.

RHS engine oil leaks are common, fix them incrementally.

Clutch has a few extra springs & adjustments (compared to a Corolla), you can gradually work through this too. 

Some power may come back with a simple tune. That passenger well wiring labyrinth is probably a combination of 2 aftermarket stereos and a burglar alarm - proceed with great care. Normal 911 under dash wiring is a weak point.  

In my opinion the SC 911 has many remnants of 1930's car design (good ones!) and is usually infinitely adjustable because of it

One last suggestion is to find out where the fuel pump relay is ( red relay in fuse box ) as it will fall out of its plug & let you down at the most inconvenient time. It has happened to all SCs that I know of  - use a band-aid of duct tape to hold it in. 

Good luck. Peter

Another congratulations, Steve!

And another endorsement for Autocoupe in Eltham, although there's only a Darren there now, as Phil's retired (I live in the SE suburbs, but happily travel the distance for someone who knows more about the aircooled models than just about anyone else).

The ultimate praise that I can put onto Darren, is that he loves the cars as much as we do (eg - how many other mechanics will replace a rusty screw in the dash because he sees it there, without you asking!)  

Fantastic advice guys thanks heaps . You have all made this so much easier . 

Last night first night of ownership pretty much it didn't start . So i jumped it and found it was the immobiliser sucking the juice . 

Had a rough idle on start up so we filled it up with premium as it was 1/4 full with that lead additive . Drove it around for about 30 mins and no more rough idle . I think the fuel had been in there for about a year at least . 

Steering ended up being the PSI in the tyres . They were about 15-16 all round so attended to that quick smart. 

Next move is bringing it down to Auto Coupe in Eltham and getting the small leak fixed and what ever else may need changing . 

Then to hide the ugly wires and remove those stone chip stickers . 

That should do me for this year . Maybe santa can help with a few small bits too

Thanks again guys really do appreciate really he advice and tips  .

Was considering buying the Porsche side script decals for the side instead of the stone chip stickers . Understood though.  Conflicted 

This is one of the reasons I love these cars so much.  There are so many ways to make it your own.  Perhaps clear film stone guard instead of the black would suit better.

You guys are fantastic . Thanks heaps . Really do appreciate the help but can anyone tell me what I'm missing here it looks ugly as sin . Please tell there is something missing guys ???

IMG_7304.JPG

get that car straight to a shop and don't drive it!!!

The steering wheel and pedals are missing!

If you mean the black "shark fins" consider that this is a German car and function before form design mantra means they are there for a reason. 

You can actually buy from the US,  'magnetic' ones that just stick on. So depending on how the mood takes you - they can be easily on or off. 

Glad your steering issue has been solved by a simple fix. A lot of your other concerns on your list will end up being the same.

At Poli I live out in Doreen So thats Perfect!!

Also vouching for Autocoupe.  You'll be talking to Darren there as Phil has retired from full time work.  Darren works on my cars and built me an awesome engine for the SC.  You won't be unhappy with his workmanship.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.  I've got a few contacts and sources of bits and pieces that might be helpful.

Archived