FINALLY !!! I GOT IT !

Steve88

Finally, that’s all I can say.

An adventure that started two and a bit years ago has finally come to an end.

The hardest deal I have ever struck

I can now say I am the proud owner of a 1980 Porsche 911 SC.

Guards Red, Tan interior, Sunroof, Tea Tray Spoiler with a periscope taillight.

It came with the manual and original delivery info and full service history.

Car was delivered to Hamilton’s of South Yarra Jan 1981.

I will be the cars 3rd owner I`m pretty sure, I was able to look at the service intervals and locations and have worked backwards.

It presents in solid condition with a full re-spray taking place 10 years ago.

At this time the interior was also refreshed. The car is visually impressive a good polish and interior clean and it will be even better.

This is the first Porsche I have ever owned and I`m still in a state of shock as I had written off the dream of buying an air cooled due to the global demand and the constant battle of rising prices on these gems as I had booked a test drive in a 996 for around the same price.

But it happened and I`m glad I did. I was not entirely ready to pull the trigger but it was very much so a case of the quick and the dead (or the quick and the other guy who missed out on a Porsche).

I had to somewhat pass on this car 2.5 years ago as life saw me build a house, plan a wedding, save every penny that I had and a lot I didn’t. This was a large regret and hadn’t really slept a full nights sleep since.

To my great fortune as the car had been sitting un-used for so long a mechanical failure led to it being serviced. At this point I couldn’t sleep another night without it being mine. Fresh back from a partial service and some serious hardball I`m glad to say its mine and sitting humbly in my garage. I paid a hell of a lot more then what I could have paid 2.5 years ago, but happy with that as times change and just grateful its mine.

The next few things for me to address are the small issues I have found in the last day just whilst driving it home but ill post that in my next thread.

Steering is heavy. I think it’s the tire pressure. What should the pressure be?

Small leak from the rear left behind the wheel arch. It could be oil ? Could it ?

Brake pedal about 2 inches higher than the clutch

Down on HP. I haven’t driven another SC before but I would say there is some lack of HP. Not too sure what I can do about this

Sounds like a Prius. Exhaust is whisper quite .

If anyone has any advice on how to remedy this current list please chime in.

Also I will be looking for a service in the very near future I`m located in Melbourne’s North but would love to know of some good garages to take it. Good by the means of knowledge, customer service, experience.

Don’t really care for the manicured gardens and espresso machines as I have both of these at home so don’t want to pay for someone else’s ; )

Only the one photo for now  . More to come when i get some time . regards Steve

IMG_7293.JPG

congratulations.

steering might just be heavy, have you driven a lot of SC's?

with regards to the oil leak, it could be the oil thermostat which is in the right rear (lol - not left!), hopefully just an o ring and not the thermostat itself. Although if it's behind the wheel it's probably triangle of death related (top breather, pressure sender, oil cooler)

might 'open up' over the next few weeks of ownership, i'd drive it for a bit before you make any exhaust/engine changes aside from servicing

clutch pedal might mean the clutch needs replacing - i'm not the best person to comment as i don't have a 'normal' sized clutch

congratulations.

steering might just be heavy, have you driven a lot of SC's?

with regards to the oil leak, it could be the oil thermostat which is in the left rear, hopefully just an o ring and not the thermostat itself

might 'open up' over the next few weeks of ownership, i'd drive it for a bit before you make any exhaust/engine changes aside from servicing

clutch pedal might mean the clutch needs replacing - i'm not the best person to comment as i don't have a 'normal' sized clutch

Thanks heaps . Yeh oil leak rear right . It has been sitting in-active for some time  thanks again . First SC i drove i purchased lol

Congrats on the patience and finally owning your P-Car!

Can't help with your specific SC issues but I happily take my car to Phil and Darren at Auto Coupe in Eltham. no frills but they know what they are doing, great service and well known. Fair prices too.

I'd be looking over the basic things first, your regular tune up items like plugs, leads, etc. Get all that sorted and see how it runs.

Congrats on the patience and finally owning your P-Car!

Can't help with your specific SC issues but I happily take my car to Phil and Darren at Auto Coupe in Eltham. no frills but they know what they are doing, great service and well known. Fair prices too.

I'd be looking over the basic things first, your regular tune up items like plugs, leads, etc. Get all that sorted and see how it runs.

At Poli I live out in Doreen So thats Perfect!!

Steve. Noice!

1. Yep, steering is heavy.  But you get a nice road feel, and arms like Popeye.  Higher air pressure helps a bit.  I run 32 psi in the front & 36 in the rear.
  2. If the oil leak is on the left side of the car it could be just a valve cover leak.  If it's on the right it could be the, DAH DAH DAHHH - Triangle Of Death
  3. Sounds like the clutch plate might need replacing.  Mine was a bit like that til I had a new clutch fitted.  Plate & bearing cost me $200 + labour
  4. 1980 3.0 was 180 hp, compared to the later 204 hp (81 to 83).  I've not driven a 180 hp car so I can't comment on the difference between it & mine.
  5. Re the comparison to a Prius, I feel sorry for you because people are gonna stare and point.  You gotta do something about that. :D

Nice one.

ps that is a carrera tail not a tea tray.  Tea tray tails have turned up edges like a, well, tea tray

Steering should be firm but doable at parking speeds. Might depend on what you have been driving.

i suggest blowing the cobwebs out before deciding low on power.  They don't leap off the line like a commodore, but do keep on winding and winding up.  Even a 180hp one can rocket along once you learn how to get the best out of it.  But thy are

no tyre frying muscle car.

Steve. Noice!

1. Yep, steering is heavy.  But you get a nice road feel, and arms like Popeye.  Higher air pressure helps a bit.  I run 32 psi in the front & 36 in the rear.
  2. If the oil leak is on the left side of the car it could be just a valve cover leak.  If it's on the right it could be the, DAH DAH DAHHH - Triangle Of Death
  3. Sounds like the clutch plate might need replacing.  Mine was a bit like that til I had a new clutch fitted.  Plate & bearing cost me $200 + labour
  4. 1980 3.0 was 180 hp, compared to the later 204 hp (81 to 83).  I've not driven a 180 hp car so I can't comment on the difference between it & mine.
  5. Re the comparison to a Prius, I feel sorry for you because people are gonna stare and point.  You gotta do something about that. :D

WHAT THE FK IS THE TRIANGLE OF DEATH ?????FEELING ILL

Nice one.

ps that is a carrera tail not a tea tray.  Tea tray tails have turned up edges like a, well, tea tray

Steering should be firm but doable at parking speeds. Might depend on what you have been driving.

i suggest blowing the cobwebs out before deciding low on power.  They don't leap off the line like a commodore, but do keep on winding and winding up.  Even a 180hp one can rocket along once you learn how to get the best out of it.  But thy are

no tyre frying muscle car.

Very valid . Great advice thanks heaps 

Another 1980SC on the forum.  Welcome to the club. 

Steering is heavy. I think it’s the tire pressure. What should the pressure be?   32psi frt and 36 rr usually works well for road tyres. Adjusting the castor on the front can help.

Small leak from the rear left behind the wheel arch. It could be oil ? Could it ?  Triangle of Death, rocker covers or oil return tubes. New seals are cheap, labour to fix is not...all pretty common for SC's

Brake pedal about 2 inches higher than the clutch   Clutch pedal position can be adjusted via the cable linkage

Down on HP. I haven’t driven another SC before but I would say there is some lack of HP. Not too sure what I can do about this Learn to carry your speed in corners and avoid an embarrassing head to head drag race with a Prius.

Sounds like a Prius. Exhaust is whisper quite .  Windows down-revs up.  Sounds angry close to redline  ;)

Another 1980SC on the forum.  Welcome to the club. 

Steering is heavy. I think it’s the tire pressure. What should the pressure be?   32psi frt and 36 rr usually works well for road tyres. Adjusting the castor on the front can help.

Small leak from the rear left behind the wheel arch. It could be oil ? Could it ?  Triangle of Death, rocker covers or oil return tubes. New seals are cheap, labour to fix is not...all pretty common for SC's

Brake pedal about 2 inches higher than the clutch   Clutch pedal position can be adjusted via the cable linkage

Down on HP. I haven’t driven another SC before but I would say there is some lack of HP. Not too sure what I can do about this Learn to carry your speed in corners and avoid an embarrassing head to head drag race with a Prius.

Sounds like a Prius. Exhaust is whisper quite .  Windows down-revs up.  Sounds angry close to redline  ;)

Perfect thanks heaps . Ive realised the leak is rear RHS not LHS . I think its oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold thoughts ????

Perfect thanks heaps . Ive realised the leak is rear RHS not LHS . I think its oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold thoughts ????

That's what it'll be -- it's about the most standard 911 oil leak there is. Working through to work out what's causing it is relatively straight forward, but may involve a partial engine drop to get in and see. If you google 'Porsche 911 triangle of death' you'll get the process to work through, plenty of good threads especially on the Pelican Parts forums. 

Gaskets and seals are mostly cheap, I had to replace two oil lines which ran about $100 each I think. The standard advice is that if you're going to dig in there, replace all the gaskets and seals. If the car's been sitting for some time, that'll contribute to the leaks and doing them all in one go is better than having to drop the engine again in six months.

Steve, the Triangle of Death, as is commonly referred, is the leaks caused by the Oil Thermostat O Ring, Crankcase Breather Gasket and Hose, and the Oil Pressure Switch.  You need to drop the engine down a bit to get to them easily.  Also consider doing the Oil Cooler Seals (the cooler on the engine) and check the S shaped hose on the cooler, vacuum lines, and if you are doing the clutch, check the rear main seal for a weep. 

Also, while you're in there, check the rubber bellows on the intake, check valve clearances, change the spark plugs,

and,

and,

and.....

You might be lucky and find it's just a loose (or cracked) breather hose.   the book 101 Projects For Your Porsche 911 is a good investment.

love this thread... I think you had better buy waynes book "101 projects for your porsche"... or something like that.. great book. Check out the pelican parts forums too.. so much good info.

Porsche guys are generally really helpful and fairly bright.... yep, we are!

It could be from a number of places. Easiest to fix is the rocker covers.  Remove them, check the gasket face for flatness and fix if necessary, fit new gaskets and DON'T over tighten.   Next up it could be from the oil return tubes.  They are a simple tube with O rings at each end and can only be fitted when assembling the cam housing to the heads. However, they can be replaced with the top end in situ with telescopic tubes.  More difficult to fix is a leak from the rocker shafts.  Usually factory fitted rockers don't leak.  If the rocker shafts have been removed at any stage it's common for the bores to get scored and result in a leak which could drop onto the exhausts.  Seals are available for the rocker shafts which usually cure the leaks.  Leaks from between the heads and camshaft housing require a proper top end reassembly to seal it up again.  Also possible is a leak from between the chain box and cam housing at the rear of the engine.  Again, this is a more involved to fix.

Give it a good clean and try to trace the source. With any luck it will be one of the easier fixes.

You guys are fantastic . Thanks heaps . Really do appreciate the help but can anyone tell me what I'm missing here it looks ugly as sin . Please tell there is something missing guys ???

IMG_7304.JPG

Looks about right.  I've seen worse.

Archived