Hi Jason congrats on your new baby, I love my 944, they are older cars so, repairs come hand in hand, my wife loves the car but in the first month I had the car I spent more than I earned on it, & have been told to hold back for a while on the spending. But we both still love the car. It's an 10/86 n/a car, so the value maybe will not increase that much, but I purchased it to enjoy & every time I get behind the wheel it makes me smile. :):):)

that's the idea of it all , big big smiles 

Hi Jason congrats on your new baby, I love my 944, they are older cars so, repairs come hand in hand, my wife loves the car but in the first month I had the car I spent more than I earned on it, & have been told to hold back for a while on the spending. But we both still love the car. It's an 10/86 n/a car, so the value maybe will not increase that much, but I purchased it to enjoy & every time I get behind the wheel it makes me smile. :):):)

Be great to maybe catch up with you & Tingy when I come through whenever I get the S2 up & running.

And perhaps someone can assist with the less complicated repairs for a smile and a beer or two?
Once sorted you will have a very solid fun reliable car.

My costs for the past 3 years have been [oil+filter] x3!

Hey Jason I would be becoming firm friends with Rob, I hear he has a hoist:D

Hey Jason I would be becoming firm friends with Rob, I hear he has a hoist:D

i spoke with Rob today.  I wish i had half his skills mate. He aid he was wanting to throw it up on his hoist when I get it home- can't wait to get a look underneath!!

Edited by Jason E
correction

Quick question for you all re window tinting.  I normally have all my cars fitted with a highly heat reflective metallic window tint to (obviously) keep the car cooler & to save the interior from the furnace like effects of the Qld sun.  Anyone have any experience of thoughts on the best films to use?  I normally just go to the local tint mart & use the (I think) Infinity 35 & it makes a very big difference to the amount of heat entering the vehicle.  Anyway any thoughts/ suggestions greatly appreciated.

Quick question for you all re window tinting.  I normally have all my cars fitted with a highly heat reflective metallic window tint to (obviously) keep the car cooler & to save the interior from the furnace like effects of the Qld sun.  Anyone have any experience of thoughts on the best films to use?  I normally just go to the local tint mart & use the (I think) Infinity 35 & it makes a very big difference to the amount of heat entering the vehicle.  Anyway any thoughts/ suggestions greatly appreciated.

Good question. 

I'm looking at tinting my white 944 as I think black tint will look awesome with the black cookie cutters.

However it seems tinting a Porsche it's frowned upon??

Jason

Hopefully you're on good terms with your window tinter.  I was chatting with a tinter when I had my 968 and he said he wouldn't look forward to tinting the hatch glass on a 968 (or a 944) because of the tight compound curves in that glass.  I'll be interested to see how you go, as my 944T remains un-tinted...

Good question. 

I'm looking at tinting my white 944 as I think black tint will look awesome with the black cookie cutters.

However it seems tinting a Porsche it's frowned upon??

I suppose it is that old originality thing again.  

My 0.02 cents worth would be - unless your car is some super rare or collectible thing do whatever makes it more user friendly.  To that end I am fairly sure that removing tint (professionally) would be akin to applying it.  Not an irreversible process I would think.

Jason

Hopefully you're on good terms with your window tinter.  I was chatting with a tinter when I had my 968 and he said he wouldn't look forward to tinting the hatch glass on a 968 (or a 944) because of the tight compound curves in that glass.  I'll be interested to see how you go, as my 944T remains un-tinted...

I see what you are saying Rob.  I suppose you would just have to say "How much?" to find out how much he isn't looking forward to it-haha.  I will have to look into that.

Tinting is reversible, anyway. I had a tint on the hatch glass that started to bubble, and I got it professionally removed by a tinter -- he used a hot air gun to get it to come off.

I was considering getting a new piece put on, I was quoted about $300 for the hatch alone because of the labour. That was using a good quality 3M film, as I recall. I just thought I'd see how I go without the tint. The hatch glass is slighty tinted, anyway (at least on my s2). I would say the visibility is noticeably clearer out the back now without the tint film, which may be a consideration for some.

Edited by Plugger2

Honestly, I think you're only going to see values of exceptional front engine P cars increase with time. 

And by exceptional, I mean all the same credentials you look for in an exceptional 911: Aussie, full provenance, desirable model to begin, colour, manual, non sunroof etc, classic P formula if you will. 

You can end up sinking a lot of money into a good front engine trans P car and even more into a shit box one and at the end of it you'll have more in a junker than if you had paid up for a nice one. There really is a lot of Junkers out there! Especially 924s

To me, 944 still seems to be relatively good buying, especially S2 & Turbo at the right money.. its a good technical package. 

It will be interesting to see, like we always say, if someone wants it badly enough........ But surely around $40 - $45k is the right price for that car????

The 944 is so cool, it's a genuine 80s trademark that can't be replicated - so yeah I reckon it's worth that.

Was driving mine on the weekend and I heard a kid yell "look daddy, a Ferrari!!!" to which the father responded "that's a Porsche son".

So cool.

Edited by 88mph

It will be interesting to see, like we always say, if someone wants it badly enough........ But surely around $40 - $45k is the right price for that car????

priced high? Only if you are Looking for entry level machinery  ... can spend big as edgy says above ... all becomes more $ than you intended 

priced high? Only if you are Looking for entry level machinery  ... can spend big as edgy says above ... all becomes more $ than you intended 

As I am quickly learning - truer words were never spoken.  I am certainly sinking a bit more cash than I would have hoped initially to bringing my S2 back from the brink.  I hope 

I'm going to love this car (I bloody better- haha).  I suppose the only consolation is that I now know EVERYTHING is done & it should (fingers crossed, touch wood etc etc) give me some trouble free motoring. 

WOW

Jeeeez thats up there!

How often does a 944 like this come up?

The last one came up for sale in Brisbane for $45k, I'm betting it got close to that, it was equally as nice as this car, more power though.

This will be interesting for sure.

Honestly, I think you're only going to see values of exceptional front engine P cars increase with time. 

And by exceptional, I mean all the same credentials you look for in an exceptional 911: Aussie, full provenance, desirable model to begin, colour, manual, non sunroof etc, classic P formula if you will. 

You can end up sinking a lot of money into a good front engine trans P car and even more into a shit box one and at the end of it you'll have more in a junker than if you had paid up for a nice one. There really is a lot of Junkers out there! Especially 924s

To me, 944 still seems to be relatively good buying, especially S2 & Turbo at the right money.. its a good technical package. 

Edgy is dead on here, how much has everyone on here spent on fixing up their 944 including me, lots. Spend the extra if you really want a special car.