I've sold my 911 project, and I have been considering selling the Hamiltons delivered '86 944 Turbo as well to consolidate my garage into a running 911 in good condition. Although it has 380,000 kms on it now, it has a very detailed service history and a full engine rebuild from Weltmeister 90,000kms ago (the receipts for the rebuild totalled $20,000+!). Repainted in original Slate Grey Metallic, interior is nice and the front seats have been retrimmed. It's in great condition aside from a few niggly bits that I plan on fixing.

What do you guys think its ballpark value would be in the current climate?

17991126_10156057368210558_7063203143389

The 944 market seems to have settled a little at the moment (though good cars still move).  A turbo recently sold around the 40 mark here in Qld while a others languish in other States.  A couple of S2s haven't moved lately (though the Cassis Red S2 advertised recently in the 40s left carsales in less than 48hrs for an unknown price).  The turbos still seem to be pulling plus 35k if they are good.  Then again what would I know??  I'm pouring money into my shitter like a broken tap...........

The S2 add is a scam if ever I've smelt one Justin.  No photos, no info, asking to message for more info.  Steer clear my friends, steer clear........

Gumtree scams usually don't have telephone numbers, only the ability to message

Yes while I would be cautious I would also give the seller the benefit of the doubt. In my experience some gumtree sellers can be very lazy and just want a quick sale, but often the product involved is still genuine. In the case of the S2 the seller says the body is rough so perhaps he thinks photos won't aid his sale. He does have another separate product listing with photos...

Thanks for posting Jonathan. Definately looks a bit unloved cosmetically. The paint looks dull, body dents, rear bar cracked and wheels have seen better days. Could be a good project for someone though. I love seeing neglected cars returned to their former glory.

Thanks for posting Jonathan. Definately looks a bit unloved cosmetically. The paint looks dull, body dents, rear bar cracked and wheels have seen better days. Could be a good project for someone though. I love seeing neglected cars returned to their former glory.

The problem is when they are Porsche's you need deep, deep pockets..... Parts are very expensive...................

The problem is when they are Porsche's you need deep, deep pockets..... Parts are very expensive...................

A-fricken-men.  I am certainly learning that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

I'm curious about the 993 Speedster in the background! The seller of the S2 is a Porsche mechanic btw

Again my mistrusting nature says that if a Porsche mechanic is moving a car on like an S2 then it probably needs a LOAD of work.  Surely if anyone can get the parts for the right price & do the labour it would be a Porsche mechanic........of course I am a glass half empty person at times............

I am quite conflicted, I would love to find a beautifully kept & cared for S2 in the right colors (for me) & buy it & give it lots of love.  I have brought my car such a long way that I have really fallen for these cars pretty hard.  (I wish I had the guts to own a 928 they are just the absolute business).  I would move mine on if the right car came along though.  

I still love the look of a 911 but every 944/68 owner I speak to reinforces my view that these cars are just brilliant value as an everyday driver - especially the S2.  

A-fricken-men.  I am certainly learning that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

Again my mistrusting nature says that if a Porsche mechanic is moving a car on like an S2 then it probably needs a LOAD of work.  Surely if anyone can get the parts for the right price & do the labour it would be a Porsche mechanic........of course I am a glass half empty person at times............

I am quite conflicted, I would love to find a beautifully kept & cared for S2 in the right colors (for me) & buy it & give it lots of love.  I have brought my car such a long way that I have really fallen for these cars pretty hard.  (I wish I had the guts to own a 928 they are just the absolute business).  I would move mine on if the right car came along though.  

I still love the look of a 911 but every 944/68 owner I speak to reinforces my view that these cars are just brilliant value as an everyday driver - especially the S2.  

he tells me it's mechanically perfect. That could be plausible if it lives outside it would deteriorate in Sydney.

by the way, absolutely no affiliation with the seller, but he should be paying me a commission lol

he tells me it's mechanically perfect. That could be plausible if it lives outside it would deteriorate in Sydney.

by the way, absolutely no affiliation with the seller, but he should be paying me a commission lol

Well certainly for the right price an S2 is a great thing if the mechanicals were sorted ...........

you sound like you've spent a million dollars on this S2. How deep in are you??

Feels like a million bucks but mightn't be quite that much (I just love grizzling).  Total spend so far.............

I purchased the car in a very neglected state for 10k.  I spent $16400 at Buchanans & they did a very comprehensive job getting the car ready & reliable as a daily driver.  They had it for about a month all up.  This included reconditioning & making some enhancements to the A/C (I live in Satans Anus aka Brisbane).  This sounds like a lot but they did just about everything you can do to one of these cars.  Sadly it had been very neglected.  

Since I got hold of it I have (with the help of a very generous PFA member here in Brissy) done a complete clutch replacement, new clutch master/ slave cylinder & a few other smaller bits & pieces - lets say about $1500 for those parts.  

Koni Yellow Sports suspension all round = $1000.

I have just bought a torque tube out of an 88 turbo to rebuild in order to replace the standard S2 split seam TT which appear to be so problematic.  Plus I have bought about 2k worth of bits & pieces to start to bring the interior back up to scratch.   The TT was pretty cheap but the bearings & bits will be about $1000.

I reckon all up I'd be just kissing 30 grand.

I still have to refurb the D90's (about $200 per wheel???)  Retrim the front seats & some interior pieces $1000.  Minor body work $1000 quoted.  The radio is cactus $600.  Some paint correction would be nice $1000.

I reckon 35k will pull it up & make it a nice car with everything sorted short of a flash new paint job.  Many would say I should have just bought a well cared for well sorted car & I would absolutely agree.  The only problem is being here in Bris & the predominate amount of good cars that come up for sale being in the Southern states I just found I kept missing out or got snaked for the good cars.  So when this came up I jumped on it.  The old adage that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche is so very true.  However it has been fun getting to do some of the work myself (with direction from those with an actual clue).  I am hooked on these things & will certainly keep my eye out for a well sorted S2 when the time comes.  Until then I will drive this bad boy like I stole it - (on my daily commute thru town......sigh). 

Edited by Jason E

Feels like a million bucks but mightn't be quite that much (I just love grizzling).  Total spend so far.............

I purchased the car in a very neglected state for 10k.  I spent $16400 at Buchanans & they did a very comprehensive job getting the car ready & reliable as a daily driver.  They had it for about a month all up.  This included reconditioning & making some enhancements to the A/C (I live in Satans Anus aka Brisbane).  This sounds like a lot but they did just about everything you can do to one of these cars.  Sadly it had been very neglected.  

Since I got hold of it I have (with the help of a very generous PFA member here in Brissy) done a complete clutch replacement, new clutch master/ slave cylinder & a few other smaller bits & pieces - lets say about $1500 for those parts.  

You forgot to mention the Koni Sports suspension...;)