Yes! finally Done

JB

Deal done, well hopefully... deposit paid on a stunning 4S. Excited, nervous and more.

will detail more in due course, just nervous until i take delivery that he's going to pull out of the deal!

Question, so i ran the VIN and the car was advertised as a 2007, however comes up as a 08. Spoke with Porsche and it's a 07 delivered car MY08. So if someone can explain why now my insurance is $500 cheaper on an 08 vs 07, and the value has jumped dramatically I'd be interested to know! i assume that i can insure the car as an MY08?

Thanks!

Jonathan.

Hi guys, picked her up on the weekend, really happy but still has not sunk in. Everyone’s been congratulating me knowing how long my passion and desire to have a Porsche has been going for (most of my life..)

Now lots to do to get her the way I want/standard I have my cars, as the closer I look the more I pick up on.

IMG_0848.JPG

so really need some help in pointing me in the right direction with contact and opinions. want to now get the car to my level of presentation. needs a few things doing but overtime its a few little projects to bring the car back up to spec.

Front calipers - need repainting as they have faded, maybe wrong chemical put on them?

Interior plastics -center console, plastic door inserts (window switches) are marked etc. Whats the popular thing to do, repaint? carbon fiber (expensive) brushed aluminium any recommendations or ideas?

radio switches - have gone sticky almost soft, need new ones is this common?

Would love the opportunity to catch up with other members, is there something coming up in Vic in the near future?

Thanks

Jonathan.

JB, sounds like all the usual 997/987 interior stuff. I actually sourced a used climate control unit on E-Bay to sort out (well make a bit better) my fan/temp switches. Radio buttons I sorted by removing and just cleaning with hand soap. I'm looking at repainting the door pulls and maybe carbon wrapping some of the scratched plastics. Look forward to catching up at an upcoming SMT of C&C. Love the car btw.

Ok, Sunday looks good, i think i can make it. (have to confer with management..) Don't know anyone but i'm not shy...

have a set of BBS's on the way and new boots to suit. car is in a vic roads next week for vic reg.

Barks , yes your right seems to be all the usual P car stuff i read up on just needs some tlc nothing major just good continual car care. A couple of bigger things that piss me off but ill either get over them or eventually fix them...

look forward to getting some advice and recommendations.

Any in the previous posts, in the meantime would be appreciated.

Cheers

All of those interior points can be replace ,,,touched up and repaired there are many DIY  threads on Rennlist about those issue,s  the heat and fan switch,s were a common problem on 997.1 as were the radio knobs and paint chips around the ignition and door handles all normal wear ,,,I had to sort those out on my 997 when I got her  ,,,just take  your time and enjoy the car ,,you will sort out those issue,s as time goes on ..........Congratulations and enjoy the drive they are a pleasure to own :):)  

Congratulations JB. Highly recommend spending some time with her and using her a bit first before doing her up.

Calipers might have seen a bit of heat over time particularly if it had seen track in WA hence the fading. Recommendation is to get them done professionally as they are powder coated from factory, but if you want to do a home job you can paint them and throw some stickers on from ebay but it won't probably last too long after some warm days with heavy braking. Otherwise you can always pick up a second hand set from someone - there's a 997 currently being wrecked in Campbellfield, that could be a winner -> http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campbellfield/wrecking/porsche-911-2006-wrecking/1082350616

Hopefully catch you down at Brighton on Sunday, otherwise look forward to spotting you around the local area.

so really need some help in pointing me in the right direction with contact and opinions. want to now get the car to my level of presentation. needs a few things doing but overtime its a few little projects to bring the car back up to spec.

Front calipers - need repainting as they have faded, maybe wrong chemical put on them?

Interior plastics -center console, plastic door inserts (window switches) are marked etc. Whats the popular thing to do, repaint? carbon fiber (expensive) brushed aluminium any recommendations or ideas?

radio switches - have gone sticky almost soft, need new ones is this common?

Would love the opportunity to catch up with other members, is there something coming up in Vic in the near future?

Thanks

Jonathan.

Interior plastics are crappy, as you have seen. James at Autohaus can quote you on replacement parts or you can search the net and also find original parts. Here;s what I know:

Radio buttons need to be replaced. ( I bought some from a UK site). Very cheap.

Aircon temp and fan switches will have peeled and be showing white plastic by now. They are not straight forward to remove (you need to take the unit out altogether). Once you've done it, www.stickynomore in the US will refurbish them...or you can buy a whole new unit. Pricey, even when 2nd hand. 

Center Console. Ashtray usually peels, and the whole unit picks up ring scratches easily. No easy fix for this, other than replacement, or buying one 2nd hand (someone is selling one here on PFA). Ashtray can be replaced separately, as can the curvy banana bar under the handbrake. 

Window switch surround. Needs replacing. James can source them for under $200

My biggest gripe about modern cars is not that they have 'too many computers' or 'have lost their soul'.

the biggest issue is the crappy plastics used in the engine bay and interior.  All the soft touch surfaces that look so great in the dealership turn to mush.  All the plastic radiators, intake manifolds, gearshift links, window winder parts, screen washer hoses etc etc just crumble after 5-10 years.  There is no escape by purchasing an expensive car - it certainly extends to ferraris and lambos, not sure if Bentley is affected as well.

meanwhile my 35 yo 911 has perfect plastic knobs, switches and even the original air box and other plastic bits in the engine bay.

is it recycling laws?  Cost cutting?  Focus on sales flash over longevity?  Don't know, but I feel for you taking delivery of a beautiful 997 and then having to deal with this kind of completely avoidable wear and tear.  The car has better paint and wheels than radio knobs and that is just bizarre.

So plastics technology hasn't improved in this millenium?

I'm with you Coastr. Even my 50 yo Mercs (with their soft "safety" switches and unburstable MB tex seats) have stood the test of time, despite living outdoors for no doubt a fair number of years.

I'd expect carbon fibre knobs , bells and whilstes in my new Porsche , no less. Though I'd have to take a second mortgage for that.

So plastics technology hasn't improved in this millenium?

I'm with you Coastr. Even my 50 yo Mercs (with their soft "safety" switches and unburstable MB tex seats) have stood the test of time, despite living outdoors for no doubt a fair number of years.

I'd expect carbon fibre knobs , bells and whilstes in my new Porsche , no less. Though I'd have to take a second mortgage for that.

The technology is there, but the desire to improve the bottom line by using sub-standard dirge-grade materials, is a strong one. There were quite a few warranty claims in the '05-08 period from owners puzzled why the interior on their $200k car looked worse than a 15 year old KIA. Quality improved after that (inside anyway). 

Same issue affects Ferraris from the mid to late 1990's. Luckily for both marques, the oily bits underneath are still up to the mark.  

My biggest gripe about modern cars is not that they have 'too many computers' or 'have lost their soul'.

the biggest issue is the crappy plastics used in the engine bay and interior.  All the soft touch surfaces that look so great in the dealership turn to mush.  All the plastic radiators, intake manifolds, gearshift links, window winder parts, screen washer hoses etc etc just crumble after 5-10 years.  There is no escape by purchasing an expensive car - it certainly extends to ferraris and lambos, not sure if Bentley is affected as well.

meanwhile my 35 yo 911 has perfect plastic knobs, switches and even the original air box and other plastic bits in the engine bay.

is it recycling laws?  Cost cutting?  Focus on sales flash over longevity?  Don't know, but I feel for you taking delivery of a beautiful 997 and then having to deal with this kind of completely avoidable wear and tear.  The car has better paint and wheels than radio knobs and that is just bizarre.

It is not a modern car only thing. My 928 has plastic radiator tanks, and after 33 years these are shot. Some other bits may need replacing soon, but rest looks ok.

My 97 Merc had plastic bits and they were all good, even the radiator and intake manifold and I imagine they would have been fine for many years to come.

I say it is part cost saving and part weight saving. New car buyers want their car to perform (being lighter) while not costing too much, it cannot all sit on the manufacturer, the consumer contributes to what is offered up.... and if one offers it or can do it cheaper then the rest follow...... not saying it is good, certainly not for used cars.....

As for the soft feel controls, that was just a stuff up all round, most cars from 10 odd years ago suffer from this..... I got to my Mercedes ones with some goo-gone (to remove the clear rubbery finish) and now they just feel like regular old plastic :)

Sadly if Porsche or any other luxury/ premium car manufacturer still made cars the same as in the 70s or 80s they would be long out of business by now...modern consumers expect everything in cars, even in the cheapest of them...

It is not a modern car only thing. My 928 has plastic radiator tanks, and after 33 years these are shot.

To be fair , it is just the glue between the end tank and the alloy that has not lasted all those heat cycles ;<)

A BMW cooling system has to be entirely replaced every , what 6 years? It is biodegradeable,  as was the case with certain Italian cars of the 70s.

Aspirational products are now built for the masses , well relative masses. I don't think you get what you pay for these days.

Interior plastics are crappy, as you have seen. James at Autohaus can quote you on replacement parts or you can search the net and also find original parts. Here;s what I know:

Radio buttons need to be replaced. ( I bought some from a UK site). Very cheap.

Aircon temp and fan switches will have peeled and be showing white plastic by now. They are not straight forward to remove (you need to take the unit out altogether). Once you've done it, www.stickynomore in the US will refurbish them...or you can buy a whole new unit. Pricey, even when 2nd hand. 

Center Console. Ashtray usually peels, and the whole unit picks up ring scratches easily. No easy fix for this, other than replacement, or buying one 2nd hand (someone is selling one here on PFA). Ashtray can be replaced separately, as can the curvy banana bar under the handbrake. 

Window switch surround. Needs replacing. James can source them for under $200

Thankyou! whats peoples thoughts on vinyl wrapping interior plastics? i think if i replace its just going to happen again, at least with the warp you can change with time? iIwas looking at that, two pak with the same color as the exterior or leather. Its just the center section tray under the aircon and the piece next to door latches. I'm not into tacky looking cars either or putting 'add ons' will keep the car as original as possible.

911sies can you remember which uk site you got them from? Have family over there so thats easy. its only the radio buttons all other switches etc are in great nick.

cheers

I don't know.  Let's be clear here - I'm not griping about use of plastic.  Of course cars are going to have to use plastic for cost and weight.

why are all the latest cars using plastic that falls apart after 5 years?  That is the question.  We say it affects 10 yo cars with the assumption that it is fixed, but I've driven a lot of new cars that have the same plastics in them - if not more.

i don't think it is a cost thing - Kia interiors seem to be lasting better due to simple plastics being used.

it might be the lightness thing, maybe  they really are choosing plastics to save grams per switch, though somehow I doubt it.

The thing is - when you touch old Benz/Porsche switchgear it has a luxurious heft to it that is lost with the modern stuff.  And tell me a modern Ferrari interior switchgear is better than old Ferrari with chrome and metal bits.

really I guess as long as it feels 'premium' for a three year lease then the manufacturers don't care.  I think they are damaging themselves long term, though.  Most 'luxury' brands were formed when durability was the difference between cheap and expensive - heirloom watches, bags, clothes.  If you let this dilute down to 'most fashoniable' you open the door to flashy upstarts to steal your lunch.

MB used to do great marketing around the durability and quality angle.  Certainly it would be better for Porsche long term if their cars continue to remain on the road and don't get turned into race cars because the interior fell to bits.

Oh sorry for the thread hijack as well.  Back to the solution and not the problem :)

The plastics/ switch gear debate will go on....... only the manufacturers know for sure.....

Further reading , recycling forces (laws) make the mfrs use degradeable polymers.

Back to quality , the old MB plastics feel cheap by comparison to the wonderful metal bits say in the 50s cars - but it was safety that dictated that. Nowadays you don't hit the dash , it's the environment that matters most.

Archived