show us your other rides

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a 1600?

Think we may be talking classic Japanese "Rice Burner' technology...............ROTARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget the German origin though...............WANKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that a 1600?

Sure is. 71 with a rare 72.5 grill and BRE carbon flairs and front lip.

By the way Uncle. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Toto. I've been floating around for a while digging though threads trying to gain some more knowledge. I've known the infamous Q for a quite a while on another forum I'm on. I've only driven a few 911's for a short time each time but enjoyed every time.

perephiral port rotary's have to be one of the loudest and best sounding engines IMO

I agree J.J. That motor was as big as you can make a P.P with with the exhaust port sleeves removed. Here is a little vid of the first start after 2 years in the build. Its quite loud with the exhaust only running to the back wheels..

Great looking Camaro by the way. Defiantly my favourite mussel car.

Is that a 1600?

Douglas, we older Datto people actually call that one a 510

Hey uncle, wondering if you have you come across my old red 180B SSS now owned by Norm WISE from Bathurst.

He gets it to wakefield every now and again. Also have my old 2 door 510 I built back in 73 as street class racer, for waneroo, then converted to a sports sedan. I believe that one is also in your neck of the woods, it appeared down here at the island about 3 years ago?

No sweeter sound than a rotary in full steam (save for a flat 6) and PP makes even more desirable. Thought I saw reg plates on it - how drivable this would be in traffic I wonder. BTW what's the life span for a PP , 10-15K before a rebuild or is hat a myth?

Awesome ride.

JJ I love the Camero and nice photography. Must have been a hard decision to part.

yeah was i didnt want to sell it, but had no room, so i put a silly high price on it and it sold within a week, i couldnt believe it. that car got so many looks, thumbs up, beeps it was crazy..

Guest Nick987

this was my 69 Camaro, had to sell it due to garage constraints..

Wow! LOVE it JJ, sad you had to let it go. One of the best I have seen. Def my fav muscle car too. They ain't cheap, and one choice as this must have gone for a bag of pretty pennies! Do you have any vids of it? Would love to hear the sound.

Guest Nick987

I sold this to put toward the 911 fund.

All built by me. Mazda factory Peripheral port big brakes full cage etc.

Sounds great. Love the tough look, flared guards and wheels. Revs out to heaven! Looks like alot of fun to drive. How is the balance? Is it tail happy?

Douglas, we older Datto people actually call that one a 510

Hey uncle, wondering if you have you come across my old red 180B SSS now owned by Norm WISE from Bathurst.

He gets it to wakefield every now and again. Also have my old 2 door 510 I built back in 73 as street class racer, for waneroo, then converted to a sports sedan. I believe that one is also in your neck of the woods, it appeared down here at the island about 3 years ago?

Funny you should say 510. I mostly don't use the 510 tag to most people as they just look at you blankly until you say 1600. It's a little like telling people you have a 964. They just don't get it. I've seen pics of the 510 sports sedan but can't say I know of the 180B SSS.

No sweeter sound than a rotary in full steam (save for a flat 6) and PP makes even more desirable. Thought I saw reg plates on it - how drivable this would be in traffic I wonder. BTW what's the life span for a PP , 10-15K before a rebuild or is hat a myth?

Awesome ride.

Yes the car was 100% legal but took A LOT of work to get it that way. The EFI made it much better in traffic but still with a 4 puck brass button clutch and a motor that idles at 2,800rpm and is not all that happy under 7,000rpm it was a very once in a while type thing. That motor was built to the same spec as the old Group A RX7's so yep 10k then pull it down for a freshen up or once a year it's a track car like it was. Good insurance to do the freshen up for 2k as the short block build alone is close to the 10k mark to replace everything and be built by a quality builder. A normal well kept regular largish ported motor should last 100,000klms if looked after and not over reved.

Sounds great. Love the tough look, flared guards and wheels. Revs out to heaven! Looks like alot of fun to drive. How is the balance? Is it tail happy?

No not that tail happy unless you wanted it to be. The whole point of the rotary in the car was to move weight back and down as far as I could. I "adjusted" the firewall to umm.. help with that.

I'm happy to post a couple of build pics but don't want to whore the place up.

This is next on the chopping block to make more room.

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9787.jpg

I've still got to get rid of the 300+RWKW XR6 turbo after the Jeep :P. I don't plan on anything all that nuts. I'd be happy with a 3.0ltr S.C I can drive everyday, do the odd track day and clearly tinker with.

I had no idea you could EFI a PP with the ridiculous overlap etc. I once considered putting a 13B bridge port in my 120Y and was told it was hard to EFI. Back then we were playing with Micro Tech V1 (not digi) which was tuned with a philips head - state of the art technology. When I put the FJ20Turbo in and ran a EMS off a lap top it was like James Bond sh*t.

Sure the neighbors were happy to see it's tail lights when you sold it as exhaust / mufflers and PP didn't mix well.

No you got a bit of a bum steer there. You can do an EFI conversion to any ported or stock rotary.Just add throttle body's and electronic dizzy . I remember a mates 13b bridge with a Microtec V1 was a weekly tune job for me as the vibrations from the road would move it out of whack.

Not to mention the green vacuum light that flashed on and off.....was like driving around in something like TRON.

Just thought of something funny; used to remove the vacuum line on the EMS when pulling up at the lights ... Would result in a lumpy cam / bridge port like idle which turned heads.

Ridiculous .....

Do you live near Castle Hill Uncle? I used to live there before moving up to the goldie 2 years ago. I know the guys at Castle Hill Exhaust/Performance. Dave & Dale (ratbags!) do a great job, their commodore is ripping it up at the strip regularly. I will throw some pics of my other money pits in here soon :)

I did, I now live in Newcastle. Yep I know them well. I used to make their fibreglass OTR's for 5.7lt Commode's to supplement my drag racing habit. The inlet manifold off my old motor is now on the faster of the two blue cars.

Dave,Dale and myself built my old motor in Dales shed. 6ltrs of GT42R goodness.

Ute113.jpg

You might recognise my old ute? I always intended to paint the silver bits but spent all my cash going faster..

-210107LS1drag154.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is my '72 LJ GTR XU-1, I have had this since 1979. Every time I get into this and go for a run I'm taken back to my younger days and ways.These photo's were taken at the Phillip Island Classic this year as part of the 40th year anniversary of the LJ XU-1. If any forum members will be going to the Shannons CMC day at Eastern Creek this coming Sunday, come and say hello, I will have my car on display in pit-lane.

Regards...Dominic.post-683-0-28239800-1344688318_thumb.jpgpost-683-0-79468500-1344688188_thumb.jpg

Archived