show us your other rides

Bet you don't miss those blown diffs on the old Pinto powered Escourts - found myself helping to change a few back then. Only really weak point on what was a brilliant car.

Hilux LSD with Mitsubishi Scorpian rear disc conversion was a good cheap improvement, short of going to Quaife LSD and Atlas axles which is the big bucks upgrade.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for a run across the Black Spur the week after buying the car. Just got over the other side all the warning lights come on (great). Pull over, engine rattling (even greater). The crankshaft pulley had worked its way off (relief). I managed to get it back on (difficult as there isn't much room, its a double pulley ie. one for the fan, one for aircon.). Ever since then I constantly check to make sure it's still tight (and it has been).

Yesterday I went for a squirt with SMT boys, got to the twistie bits and heard a rattle, pulled over and the pulley was coming loose.Obviously backing on and off at higher revs creates enough reverse torque to loosen the bolt.

Any suggestions. Locktite? Spring Washer?

Thanks John

not saying he is not great, but why didnt he make it as a rally driver if he is so good??

There are better rally drivers, there is only one Ken Block :D

Don't get me wrong....Ken Block is a bloody good driver, and i love what he's done to raise awareness of the sport to the mainstream...but,

He basically bought his way into rallying with his profile on the back of making video clips with his DC shoes money. His clips, just like skate videos are made up of dozens of takes at nailing one trick/one corner repeated over and over till you get it right so an editor can put together an awesome clip. While this certainly has helped hone his car control skills it is just not the same real competitive rally events where you cover about 120kms of competitive stages. While you do get to pace note the course at low speed during recce, you don't get to practice it till perfect.

He brings massive $$$$$ in sponsorship to the team and therefore gets to drive ahead of some far more talented drivers, but thats the case across a lot of pro motorsport...

To get a run in the WRC usually takes a couple of years of PAYING a few to several million a year to get a drive in a factory team. They don't start paying YOU millions till you get good enough to get results. Most run out of cash/funding before proving themselves...It takes speed AND consistency. Consistency comes with experience. It won't cut it if you're fast but crash a lot.

Ken would not be there without DC shoes and Monster Energy Drink.

That said, he's livn' the dream and i'm jealous as shit! :D If i had the dough i'd buy my way into the WRC too! Heck, even the ARC would be good. Done a few rounds of that but not the whole championship.

Ahhhh I should have started a street wear company....

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am bored with not much to do today so I thought I would chuck some photo's up of past and present rides.

My weekend Sunday morning toy. WR450 with stuff.

IMG_9430.jpg

d9af7724.jpg

The old daily.

clubsport009.jpg

Death machine 2.0 Foes DHS mono.

Worldchamps084.jpg

Was a handy thing.

09-06-28Awaba425.jpg

Death machine 1.0 Foes DHS mono.

09-06-28Awaba065.jpg

Julypics117.jpg

You do know the soft foam bit is where you are supposed to sit on and the hard metal bit where you fill gas. Seems to be a bit of confusion on your end with this in your last photo.

Hope this helps with your conering.

great photos.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd show off my daily drive. 2007 VE Clubsport M6. I've mainly had Holdens and HSVs (other than the '86 Carerra and a Skyline) This is my 5th HSV and I've found it a lot more enjoyable to drive than the previous models. It's lowered on Pedders springs and has Pacemaker headers with a custom 2.5" exhaust. Everything else is standard but the car is fully optioned with leather, sat nav and sun roof. The Clubsport is really a do it all car for me. Fits the family comfortably on long trips, tows the boat brilliantly, fits my mountain bike in the boot, handles well and is rather quick in a straight line. So here's my other pride and joy.

P6150415_zps69ea3eb1.jpg

This is a car I am building, my kids think it's hilarious my daily is a 911 and my toy is "only" a Commodore, although tecnically its a Senator

Doing pretty much everything myself except paint. Should be 700hp when done, and a lot of fun..

CompPic_zpsdbfd7c5f.jpg

IMG_5048_zpsb5a5b1ee.jpg

2012-12-02165358.jpg

IMG_5024_zps7a41b2e6.jpg

Do these count as other rides?

IMG_1663b_zpsa10d9632.jpg

The old Caballero deck.  I had one of those, but in white.  Somehow it got tossed in a charity drive or garage sale somewhere along the way.  Most depressing.

I still have my bike I used to ride to school on.  It's not in such great condition any more, but still goes.

This is a car I am building, my kids think it's hilarious my daily is a 911 and my toy is "only" a Commodore, although tecnically its a Senator

Doing pretty much everything myself except paint. Should be 700hp when done, and a lot of fun..

CompPic_zpsdbfd7c5f.jpg

IMG_5048_zpsb5a5b1ee.jpg

2012-12-02165358.jpg

IMG_5024_zps7a41b2e6.jpg

Nice.

What injection are you going to use ?

They're actually all reissues. I first bought the Schmitt Stix to ride with my daughter while she rode her scooter. I then decided I wanted one from each of the major brands back in the day to have as sort of art work in the man cave. I love riding them though. I was never that flash when I was a kid so Im probably better at it now than I was back then.

Thanks, the engine is a crate GM Performance LSx454.  So its got forged internals, high volume oil pump etc all as "standard".  They are hand built in a separate factory, a bit like M for BMW and AMG for Mercedes.  They don't go into any regular car, you can only order them as a semi long motor, they are fully internally assembled but come without any ancillaries, water pump, alternator etc, and also no induction, exhaust or sump.  Believe it or not they are rated to handle 2000HP.  So you can go supercharger, turbos, nitrous, but even NA just a cam change and tune and some heads and you can be pushing 8-900HP, and massive amounts of torque.  They are a beautifully designed engine, nothing like an old "small block"  Physically they are almost identical to the current V8 found in a regular Commodore, but the LSx like mine is cast iron block to handle the power and has unique heads with 6 bolts per cylinder to handle the pressure.

Archived