Challenge Bathurst

Snowman

I know a few PFA's were at Challenge Bathurst. Was great to meet a few new ones. Awesome fun event and I was even fortunate enough to get a big shiny trophy for winning Class A (standard road cars) in the sprint. Here's a vid of my lap.

15241832_10155489835077564_2243387551652

Epic track, epic car and lovely smooth lap, top job!  Was that nearly 260 into the chase ?

do you know if they'll be running the event next year?  I was tempted this year but couldn't make it. 

stacks of cars entered so I'm keen to understand how the weekend played out, how different it was to a normal track day in terms of rules, scrutineering etc and how much track time you had.  Long way to go to be pinged in scrutineering and/or sitting around all weekend waiting your turn.  But it has to be done once.

Scrutiny for road cars was dead easy. Took all of 3 mins. As long as you had a fire extinguisher and a valid helmet they didn't stress about too much else.

The event was run flawless. It's Bathurst so there was semi regular carnage to clean up. But other than our 1st session getting cut short due to a red flag I got all other 7 sessions as full 8 flying lap sessions. There were only 3 groups so you were on track for 20mins every hour. But they provided a timed breakdown of when your sessions were supposed to run and it ran to schedule pretty much both days (actually 1.5 days. So 5 sessions on Day 1 and 3 on Day 2. It was over 350kms on track and it was plenty enough).

It's on again next year and I'll definitely do it again. 

Very cool. That was a great lap and very smooth. Do you think it was  a 10 10ths lap or perhaps a little more measured? There was some really interesting data being shown there. What was your peak lateral g and where was it generated? The car looked awesome across the top of the mountain. 

Very cool. That was a great lap and very smooth. Do you think it was  a 10 10ths lap or perhaps a little more measured? There was some really interesting data being shown there. What was your peak lateral g and where was it generated? The car looked awesome across the top of the mountain. 

So the short answer is no it wasn't 10/10th. 

But it is 10/10th for a lot of it. In this car I was never 10/10th into Griffins (T2 - I could brake later/harder but I preferred to roll into it a little in this car. The time difference wouldn't be much). Over the top Sulman I'm still learning. The Cutting and Reid Park I feel is as fast as I can go, and I feel I'm better at McPhillamy than I am Sulman. Skyline to the Elbow is pretty 10/10th as well. Again like Griffins I don't brake 100% that I can into the Elbow in this car. But the chase is 100% for me although I stuff the exit on that lap as I was paying too much attention to the falcon and what he was doing rather than where I should be driving. But my Sector 2 time (Green mark from Reid Park to the start of Conrod) was a 38.7 which I'm pretty damn happy with and quicker than a lot of cars that were doing under 2.15)

Bathurst_track_map.png

So the short answer is no it wasn't 10/10th. 

But it is 10/10th for a lot of it. In this car I was never 10/10th into Griffins (T2 - I could brake later/harder but I preferred to roll into it a little in this car. The time difference wouldn't be much). Over the top Sulman I'm still learning. The Cutting and Reid Park I feel is as fast as I can go, and I feel I'm better at McPhillamy than I am Sulman. Skyline to the Elbow is pretty 10/10th as well. Again like Griffins I don't brake 100% that I can into the Elbow in this car. But the chase is 100% for me although I stuff the exit on that lap as I was paying too much attention to the falcon and what he was doing rather than where I should be driving. But my Sector 2 time (Green mark from Reid Park to the start of Conrod) was a 38.7 which I'm pretty damn happy with and quicker than a lot of cars that were doing under 2.15)

Bathurst_track_map.png

please don't get me wrong as I am in know way at all criticising your commitment. The lap looked pretty sweet and at a pace you and your car could keep up for a long time. I was pretty impressed by the lateral g you were pulling at Sulman and also saw 1.5g at other places and was thinking that might be the limit shown on screen but the actual data might have been higher. As countless people have proven, there are very few, if any, second chances through Sulman (I think that it is why it is my fav). Awesome driving in an awesome car. 

Very impressive - Have you changed the exhaust or is that the sports system that comes with the GT4?

Sounds mega!

I have a set of Cargraphics catted headers just for the sound. They sound great stock but sound awesome with the headers.

Great driving mate, and nice to meet up at the event, you've proven to me what I've suspected for a while now, that the GT4 package is damn fast in the right hands, to date I've not seen anyone quite commit in one (possibly as they are still quite new and dear to their owners)

Cheers

Robert

Sadly yes. And on his very first lap in a rumoured 1 week old car.

I thought so.....

I was picking up my repainted wheels at Ron Goodman's today and he said, come and have a look at this.

It was the McLaren in a pretty bad state on the Jig. The left side was badly damaged with kitty litter all through the car.

Not a pretty sight....:( :( :(

They were pretty confident they could repair it.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I know a few PFA's were at Challenge Bathurst. Was great to meet a few new ones. Awesome fun event and I was even fortunate enough to get a big shiny trophy for winning Class A (standard road cars) in the sprint. Here's a vid of my lap.

mate.......you are living the dream in that blue banger.:D

• 1 month later...

Archived