Dirty Converted Import

So as people know, i use my car as an example of how you can buy an "undesirable" car and be happy. Some have asked for pictures, so here are a few.

IMG_3226_zpsclqzdl0y.jpgIMG_3710_zpsksphrixy.jpgIMG_3711_zpssqe0fmvq.jpgIMG_3723_zpsdo2s3pnz.jpgIMG_3721_zps9qzus1ej.jpgIMG_3714_zpsj0dsrrkm.jpg

The car has a few nice little bonuses such as an LSD from new and the last of the 915 boxes with the additional oil cooler.

To date, I have done some minor cosmetic work to the exterior and made a few things work better. Outside, you can see the rockers have been removed, an X-Faktory rear deck grill has been fitted and the car has been lowered and spacers fitted. The suspension has been set to fast road/track and corner weighted. I have rebuilt the a/c with new condensors, evaporator, compressor and evaporator fan. Finally, I fitted the obligatory Prototipo and was luck to find a period correct one with some patina. As can be seen, it hides too much of the speedo so i will be one of those rotating the speedo for a better view.

I have plans for a few more subtle styling features and then I will put it on a bit of a diet. Other plans include finding more power and better throttle response. I have recently changed my target figures, but i am still looking for 300bhp per tonne. It would be great to do this without more capacity, but it depends on how the diet goes.

I dig it! Very nice.

We are a multicultural society aren't we?  

Isn't rejecting every 911 bar original Aus delivered the automotive equivalent of...

0000%200%20fuck%20off%20full-500x500.jpg

This typical Strayan delivered 911 owner is being questioned about his claims Strayan delivered cars are the only ones worth having after riots broke out...

291kvt0.jpg

Do they get around with Southern Cross stickers on their Aus Delivered cars?

Gettin-a-sick.jpg

Oh wait!  There IS a Southern Cross Porsche!

IMG_6742.jpg

That's basically my car @SimonN.  I like the fact that my car cost me just under 30k, and I can drive it as much as I want.  It still has the original LHD Frosch Fachmann waterslide dealer decals on the rear windows.  Now that it's RHD should I remove them?

That's basically my car @SimonN.  I like the fact that my car cost me just under 30k, and I can drive it as much as I want.  It still has the original LHD Frosch Fachmann waterslide dealer decals on the rear windows.  Now that it's RHD should I remove them?

Nah…it'll drive the purists nuts :D

Nah. Peel it off and put inside the rear window.

Pfft that is nothing!  Mine had foreskins, big back bumpers and a California spec engine with cat converter!  And it's brown/brown!

Apparently undesirable because nobody else turned up to look at it!

what are foreskins on a porsche?

Oh i know now.. those US headlight surrounds. Yeah they suck.. what's with those ugly bloody things!?

U.S. dot regulations - the largest killer of design aesthetic in the 20 century.  Who knows how long we would have had chrome bumpers for if it wasn't for those meddling idiots.

us delivered cars had to have 'sealed beam' lights, which meant the bulb was sealed in with the reflector.  It dated from the '30s because back then the reflector would corrode and dull.   So while the rest of the world went to halogen lights us cars were stuck with round sealed beam lights.  No wonder so many cars invented pop up headlights.

Same goes for the horrid bumpers - this was supposed to reduce the incidence of damage in low speed impacts.  They staggered on from 74 to 80-something - you can thank Ronny ray-gun for killing off most of the horrors of DOT regulations.  Mind you the Porsche bumpers didn't quite complate the job - they had to jack up the ride height to get the bumper at the right height as well.  

The unique design of the 928 is the answer to the question of 'how can we make a good looking car with high plastic bumpers and these stupid round lights?'

I have never looked at the regs back then, so how much of it was poor design solutions to the regs and how much was it just poor regs? As you comment at the end, there does seem to have been some decent design solutions to the problems thrown up by the regs.

• 4 months later...

Import or original Delv if it has a Porsche emblem on the Bonnent has a flat 6 and says made in Stuttgart that's enough for Me i no which one id be buying for a 30%! Discount  and hot roddin it.... 

Archived