Looking for a 911

Gsaps

hello to the forum and a thank you to Kerry for getting my membership sorted 

im looking for an air-cooled 911, I'm new to the car scene but have loved the classic 911 shape since I saw one take a corner when I was 10... and that was a while ago 

my budget is what it is, the wife would skin me alive if she knew what it was but I know that it's a modest one given the prices I've seen

I've trawled the Carsales website so know I can get something but I also know that a car bought from a form member will have a better history and will have been cherished and taken care of

coupe/targa/convertible.... has anyone got something in the 50-60 k range.

i need saving before I resort to an abomination of an American muscle car 

thanks folks

Thanks Scott, that's a lovely car and just what im after... but I'm really not sure about the LHD thing.

I took to it ok in Europe but I was driving on the right hand side and I wasn't changing to RHD all the time, I think adapting every time I drive it would be an issue

I also know that a car bought from a form member will have a better history and will have been cherished and taken care of

Hi Gsaps, welcome and good luck with joining the hunt of the other 80% ... your above words, Why would you think that?

True of some members cars that are for sale or they would sell but we are all just the general public and certainly people here own cars in various states of history / repair / beauty / maintenance , or lack of all of that. Also, most members here you will probably find, are really or reasonably honest with their intentions, descriptions and manner but like anywhere, there are the disingenuous and the odd pirates here n there and skullduggery afoot!

Buy the best you can afford.

Buying from a member means that other members probably know the car and the character.  So it is less likely to be able to hide something.  Just look at my 993 for sale.  All the old members know ALL about that one.

and LHD rocks

sorry @LeeM

I have never own a LHD car, however my older brother has been importing USA cars for years and his view is that a RHD car is a safer car in AUS. That said he also replaces things like drum brakes and lap seat belts. For me RHD, sorry James

Thanks for the replies guys

i know there are no guarantees with this sort of thing but apart from possible history on the forum of the car (before it reaches the for sale stage), some forum members have a reputation that they wouldn't jeopardise by selling a dodgy car

i intend getting all the opinions I can get from people who know way more than I do and sort of expect it to take a little while

pm coming symsy, thanks

HI Gsaps  like any other purchase in life  do your research and learn as much as you can before you buy ,I would hate to hear that your dream car purchase became a nightmare and asking around this forum is a good start,,,there are sadly some pretty ordinary 911,s out there for sale , you only have to look on car sales ,,,,,buying and owning a 911 should be one of life,s great pleasures ,not disappointment ,,I hope a member can get you onto a good buy :)  

hello to the forum and a thank you to Kerry for getting my membership sorted 

im looking for an air-cooled 911, I'm new to the car scene but have loved the classic 911 shape since I saw one take a corner when I was 10... and that was a while ago 

my budget is what it is, the wife would skin me alive if she knew what it was but I know that it's a modest one given the prices I've seen

I've trawled the Carsales website so know I can get something but I also know that a car bought from a form member will have a better history and will have been cherished and taken care of

coupe/targa/convertible.... has anyone got something in the 50-60 k range.

i need saving before I resort to an abomination of an American muscle car 

thanks folks

LHD 911sc is the way to go in that price range, reliable & bulletproof... feel free to give me a call number is on the add 

Driving a LHD Porsche is very easy you won't even think twice the second time you get in it 

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10710-911-sc-for-sale/#comment-206322

+1 on LHD

It'll be second nature after 5 minutes at the wheel

I've got both and switch between them and there is no difference, no issue, no problem - just a cheaper buy in. Sounds like just what you're after.

Thanks Scott, that's a lovely car and just what im after... but I'm really not sure about the LHD thing.

I took to it ok in Europe but I was driving on the right hand side and I wasn't changing to RHD all the time, I think adapting every time I drive it would be an issue

you'll be fine.  It's all in your head.  Nothing to worry about.

there has not been a single person on this forum who bought a LHD car then turned around and sold it straight away because 'can't deal with LHD'

on the contrary, there have been several members who have gone on to put their RHD cars up for sale and buy a second LHD for the collection.

You should at least try and think about it it out if budget is restricted.  You'd hate a dodgy RHD for longer than you'd worry about LHD.

LHD 911sc is the way to go in that price range, reliable & bulletproof... feel free to give me a call number is on the add 

Driving a LHD Porsche is very easy you won't even think twice the second time you get in it 

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10710-911-sc-for-sale/#comment-206322

He's right. I drive mine without any issues. Some traffic situations need a bit more attention but 98% of the time it's a doddle. 

Thanks for the advice regarding LHD, I'll certainly give it some thought.

I guess my concern is being new to the classic car/Porsche world is daunting enough without adding the unknown element of a left hand drive.

if it makes you feel any better that is where I was at - couldn't find the right RHD for the price and found a LHD that suited me.  First Porsche and first 'intentional' classic.  There is truly never a time when I drive it and think 'wish it was RHD'.  In fact it rarely enters my thoughts.  You use a different door to get in and that is that.   The first drive takes some brain recalibration but after that you'll be fine.  It's like getting a new fridge with a different door opening.  Grab the wrong handle once or twice until the brain rewires itself, and then you're grabbing cold beers like second nature.

Archived