[VIC] SMT APRIL 30TH 2017 - Revised START TIME (Pls read!!)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, definitely a possibility ... We can decide on the day at maccas and discuss with my chief navigator (@fraz)...  A drive through a town hosting a classic car event certainly has some appeal.

My only concern would be that the drive may get a bit too long aS some of us need to get back to home for afternoon events... 

Accorrding to Google Maps the trip from Tecoma via the usual route and then off to Healesville, via Marysville, is 2hrs 30min.

If we leave on time we should be in Healesville by 9:00. 

Accorrding to Google Maps the trip from Tecoma via the usual route and then off to Healesville, via Marysville, is 2hrs 30min.

If we leave on time we should be in Healesville by 9:00. 

Really like this suggestion Theo. I think it's the go. And we'll be a lot closer to Melb too, so those who need to scoot off early can be back in time for other commitments.

I'm in and will have hopefully another 3 cars in tow !! Please keep this thread updated and clear as to the plans. Very pumped. 

:o... What, the wife and kids drive p-cars too? Love your work, Steve, your have a passionate p-car tribe!!

I'm in for my first run; another p car is tagging along with me.

Great to hear from you @Mala.... 1st post, 1st SMT. 

Suggestion - large numbers so two Tours. Keep the date avoid Marysville.

Group 1 north to Kilmore meet Maccas Corner Blackburn and Doncaster rd. Group 2 east to Noojee.

Have been East often enough so happy to lead G1.

Don't ask time of tours just peel off if you want to get back early.

Would have to nominate which group.

Yes or No on this idea PHIL ?

Just confirming, that's a NO on the split groups to other parts of VIC.  Maybe next time....

Sticking with original route!

STOCK TAKE as of 25/4:

A good day to run some numbers while it rains outside... I just did a count which includes about 8 I'm not sure about as they've just posted comments only.

Current number is 48 !  :o   That's gonna be one long conga line! 

Here's the coffee shop in healesville (Mocha & Lime @ 11 Green St):

mochalimecafe_map_zps79ohdyod.png

Here's a street view for the spatially challenged non map-readers:

mochalimecafe_streetview_zpszkysfxhz.png

Philbee (Tour Group organiser, one show only)

PS. I've just called & emailed the shop. Waiting to hear their confirm to receive such a civil respectful bunch of refined gents (& ladies)... B)

REMINDER: Any form of hooning or unnecessary revving of the machinery in the area is not a good look  :angry:. Slow cruising only through the township please. Please read the SMT rulebook for first timers.

Just a thought, is there ample parking nearby? 

Yep... 50m further down the street past the cafe there's a parking lot to the left and the street opens out and has parking on both sides.

only a few spots right out front of the cafe....

I'm thinking a departure of 10-12 cars at a time with a 5 min or so interval in between maybe worth considering. 

With such a big group I was about to suggest the smaller group thing as well with the quicker guys first to leave to minimise bunching up. Also ensure everyone knows where they are going as there are not many places you can pull over 50 cars and regroup before heading off again

With such a big group I was about to suggest the smaller group thing as well with the quicker guys first to leave to minimise bunching up. Also ensure everyone knows where they are going as there are not many places you can pull over 50 cars and regroup before heading off again

Sounds all good to me too. My only proviso is that the first group also contains those with urgent afternoon events. That way, we'll arrive first and be able to get back to base earlier after scoffing a coffee and having a yak. (this is me, unfortunately... so would good to be in the first group too)

Will try to get along to at least some of this drive as well :)

49 !!

I'm thinking a departure of 10-12 cars at a time with a 5 min or so interval in between maybe worth considering. 

Good call Hugh. 

Sounds all good to me too. My only proviso is that the first group also contains those with urgent afternoon events. That way, we'll arrive first and be able to get back to base earlier after scoffing a coffee and having a yak. (this is me, unfortunately... so would good to be in the first group too)

49 !!

Phil, based on previous experience there is a good chance that although the groups often start separated they can meld together towards the end on the drive. Nothing goes like clockwork on these drives mate so don't stress too much about grouping people on when they need to get there. I reckon everyone will arrive within 30 minutes of each other anyway.

That also presents some serious passing opportunities around part way into the run.  I was always enjoy a bit of ROG action!

just kidding (sorta ...)

Let's also consider a Le Man (pre Ickx) start.  If that gets a gong, I'm bringing something LHD as I want to be period correct ...

Still sorta just kidding. 

With such a large group, a reminder of SMT etiquette is in order.   If you find yourself sitting behind a slower car, a quick high beam flash to announce your presence, wait for the driver in front to pull over or wave you through when SAFE.  Please be patient, the pace will be down with so many cars.  Maintain your spacing, especially when approaching intersections and stops. The concertina can close up real fast!  There have been a few brown moments in the past.  

Above all, enjoy the company of others and go home smiling.

Alert notice, Mrs.Philbee may be a last minute inclusion as chief navigator and 'senior screamer' on those fast corners.... stand by for update and confirm... :wub:

Late scratching alert - Mrs.philbee has pulled the pin.  

Wow! Huge entry number.

When you are all finished why not drop into Sandown to have a look at the PCV Sandown 240 Relay event. 35 teams entered.

Wow! Huge entry number.

When you are all finished why not drop into Sandown to have a look at the PCV Sandown 240 Relay event. 35 teams entered.

Northern Burbs.......

On the remote chance that anyone is travelling from the Northern suburbs......happy to meet at somewhere on the way.

Not holding my breath though!

Archived