Getting new tyres on those u-bewt rims

Philbee

Just wondering those of you with the big gun exotics that most of us dream of... Or  those with just an expensive or beautiful set of wheel rims!!  Who and where do you go to get tyres fitted? I just spent a $1000 refurbishing me fuches  and buying new wheel nuts and I'm paranoid of getting gouged or scratched!! I had a bad experience with rough-head tyre boy changing tyres on a non-pcar of mine a few cars back, whacking the wheel wrench on my rims, scratching, gouging my rims!!  Arrghhh!!

I ripped into the poor bob jane tyre manager at the time and decided not to ever go back to a run o' the mill tyre place again.

Do you flip em a lobster (a 20)  and say "be careful mate" or ask for the manager to do the work and not the rasta-haired tattooed hulk with the wheel wrench between his teeth?

We were always told by customers and manager that they're new or repainted rims, and to be more than careful. Maybe Bob Jane if they still have the same quality of work? I know I used to use plastic tips on the tyre levers many moons ago. A local tyre shop 18 year old won't give a toss, coz they're Porsche rims and 'He can afford it'. 

I'd go straight to the manager, tell them they cost $3000 so be careful, or........

I certainly don't have a big gun exotic but......Traction Tyres in Rowville.   I have been going to them for 15 years or thereabouts.

Motor sport orientated, and just great at what they do.

They are a YOKOHAMA agent but they will do all tyres.

Let them know obviously, before hand what you would expect, but they are very professional.

I'd be very surprised if they couldn't do the job for you.

http://www.tractiontyres.com.au/

I certainly don't have a big gun exotic but......Traction Tyres in Rowville.   I have been going to them for 15 years or thereabouts.

Motor sport orientated, and just great at what they do.

They are a YOKOHAMA agent but they will do all tyres.

Let them know obviously, before hand what you would expect, but they are very professional.

I'd be very surprised if they couldn't do the job for you.

http://www.tractiontyres.com.au/

nice one @Niko, thanks, might give them a go. Not too far away from me...

I use Tucketts Tyre Power in Hastings (Mornington Peninsula in Victoria).  Rob Tuckett is the best and will aways look after your rims.  A real professional.  I have been going there for many years

thanks...LP. good to know but Hastings is a fair way south for me. Others down peninsula way could get onto this...

I go to a Beaurepaire store locally, I have bought many sets of tyres there and know the manager. When I took my 928 in for a wheel balance and alignment I told him exactly what I wanted and for him personally to do it, also my wheels have an anodised coating and they normally use an acid based cleaner on wheels. I said no to that as it would most likely damage my wheels and you cannot replace these wheels now or get them recoated, he handled them properly, but I would only trust him to do..... find one and test out with a "lesser" car first maybe?

I do wonder, but wouldnt Porsche be able to do it at the dealership? How much can fitting and balancing really differ in cost? But at least youll know that they have someone there that understands the value of them. Wonder if you can bring in your own tyres?

I do wonder, but wouldnt Porsche be able to do it at the dealership? How much can fitting and balancing really differ in cost? But at least youll know that they have someone there that understands the value of them. Wonder if you can bring in your own tyres?

depends on the dealer - some have outsourced it to tyre fitters close by

Donellans in Collingwood is also someone of note that I trust in Melbourne - place looks like Osama Bin ladens cave but they know Porsches and do good work. They are typically backed up with Porsches and Bentleys - they do work for PCM and others also I believe

I'm in Syd but I got Porsche to quote on my new set of Michelin's they were only just under double for the exact same there from Kmart tyres!! Went to Kmart and saved enough money to do a drive weekend with the wife, stay in a hotel and eat at a nice restaurant!

Good point mate... might give them a call. I know PCM as @Ozvino said, use a tyre joint in collingwood... but PCB down my way... interested to see where they might send me or do it themselves. Seeing I don't have a brand new 991 or 997, they might just send me on my way.... Nothing to see here, young man, move along!!

I'm in Syd but I got Porsche to quote on my new set of Michelin's they were only just under double for the exact same there from Kmart tyres!! Went to Kmart and saved enough money to do a drive weekend with the wife, stay in a hotel and eat at a nice restaurant!

What a porsche dealership over-charging? That's ridiculous!  But a great save on your behalf. Well done. I bet that bed and meal were really great too!!

Traction tyres at Rowville......do a great job, fitted yokohamas to mine a while back and very happy with them.... and were cost effective. I think they used to ( and may still) support PCV members as well.....

I always have a chat to the manager first and ask who is going to do the job to make sure I am happy with the guy. I ask that the most experienced guy works on the car as a condition of giving them my business. I also ask how they tighten the wheel nuts on an old Porsche and if they say "with the gun", I take my business somewhere else.  I also inspect the wheels with the guy before he does any work to make sure he knows I am looking. I stay there with the car until the job is done.

I am lucky, the manager of my local tire place had a 911 before and likes old Porsches. They do tires for all of my cars for years now. 

I always have a chat to the manager first and ask who is going to do the job to make sure I am happy with the guy. I ask that the most experienced guy works on the car as a condition of giving them my business. I also ask how they tighten the wheel nuts on an old Porsche and if they say "with the gun", I take my business somewhere else.  I also inspect the wheels with the guy before he does any work to make sure he knows I am looking. I stay there with the car until the job is done.

I am lucky, the manager of my local tire place had a 911 before and likes old Porsches. They do tires for all of my cars for years now. 

good points Andrew, love the gun suggestion cos that really rips into my nuts ! (Wheel)

Stuckey Tyres, they know how to handle any kind of wheel properly as they're used to dealing with some extremely expensive race metal as well as road cars. Fixed up the OTLW's leaky Michelin last Monday before we had to board the ferry no problem ?

• 4 months later...

Now that we've discussed the "where" and recommendations on the "what" ?

What brand of  tyre do you guys recommend - a good road tyre, not for track, occasional SMT & spirited run to the milk bar. Or do I just follow the $$, i.e. The more the better? Bridgestone, Michelin or Pirelli...seem to be the big 3, right?

i have std 16" fuch  rims, 7 and 8's.

What widths and ratios?

Suggest you don't over tyre the front particularly despite the assertions of the hipster, plattster, stanceters types.

RE003's would be perfect and there is usually a 4 for the cost of 3 special every few months so they end up being very affordable. 

I have Hankook Evo on the SC. 205 and 225 on 7 and 8 inch 16in rims. Not an all out sports tyre, yet for quick hills driving they have plenty of grip and good in wet weather. Think they were $160 per tyre

You can't go wrong with your manufacturer choices and all the tyres mentioned are premium quality. Just get the one of the below that best suit your budget ;) 

Bridgestone - RE003

Dunlop - Direzza

Michelin - Pilot Sport 4

You can't go wrong with your manufacturer choices and all the tyres mentioned are premium quality. Just get the one of the below that best suit your budget ;) 

Bridgestone - RE003

Dunlop - Direzza

Michelin - Pilot Sport 4

Have to be PS3s with the Michelin, PS4 not in 16s ...... agree with your choices other than that :)

And @Peter M!! "I won't mention the RE003's ever again but you're welcome to join our club anytime.....:)  "

Edit: they do make PS4s in 16s, just not sizes to suit a 928 :( will a 205 suit a 911?

Also for you Bridgestone fans, where does the S001 sit in relation to the RE003? It would appear to be higher up the list (cost wise anyway)?

I've got Dunlop Direzza Z2's on my Carrera. 17" rims. Excellent tyres. Got them at Stuckey's.

Are these a more track focussed tyre? 

You just need some aftermarket rims ;)

Nope the forged originals are just fine :P

Archived