Manual prices VS Auto prices

Do manuals dictate the pricing and thus autos are say $10k less or do autos dictate the pricing with manuals say $10k more ?

Do autos hold down the manual prices, an auto is $50k so the manual can only be $10k more in a fairness kinda approach. 996 autos, 993 autos even sporto SC,s all have a price differential  (strange as they all cost more in the beginning). Or is it really how much the market can tolerate a price level for a manual, open market pricing, and then the auto is priced somewhere below it, does anyone actually buy the autos ? There seems to always be a lot on the market, some spankingly good looking models too.

How far apart can the prices be ? How low does an auto have to go to get someone motivated to buy it ? Who's buys it, an enthusiast ? I only know of one person in my small group of contacts that owns one and that is his daily, I'm not thinking SUV's or 4 door,s just traditional 911's

Thought provoking 

I have no idea...

Both are dictated by what the market will pay.  Manuals set the price, autos suffer discounting until someone is willing to buy.  I'm sure someone has stats on auto/manuals, would be interesting to see if scarcity plays a part (particularly for water-cooled 911s).

You've asked a lot of questions, I don't think I helped.

I think it is basically that most enthusiasts want a manual for a weekend fun car. The only reason they would take an auto is if it is so much cheaper to do so, and they 'settle' for an auto. If you actually want an auto, I think you are in an excellent position because they often sit a lot longer and you can negotiate hard to get a good deal.

Personally, I would never buy an automatic sports car. It wouldn't matter how much cheaper it was.

So for me, I'd look at what the market was charging for a manual 911 and base my expectations around that. 

I wouldn't even check what the automatics and PDKs were doing.

Me neither. I don't see the point of an Automatic sports car. Half the fun is in rowing through the gears. 

Depends if you have a dicky left knee ;) 

After the weekends drive in the SC, I may have to consider a PDK. Only if I can have paddle shift though!

Depends if you have a dicky left knee ;) 

Years of motorbike racing has seen to that!

Hence for me, most times a manual is not even on my radar.... keep talking them down guys, makes them cheaper for me :)

All i can say is I'm glad my imported, left to right converted, non matching numbers car is a manual.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to give it away.

Convert it to an auto Stew and give it to me :D

You still have to change gears in a Sportomatic, and can downshift/rev match (even if there are only 3 gears) - just don't have to press the clutch pedal down.

My next car will be a Tiptronic, the luxury of flicking through the gears on the paddles for 10% of the time, whilst driving around the city in auto mode definately beats putting the clutch in/out in peak hour traffic

The manual/ auto differential seems to also be dependent on model. My suspicion is that as models age the price differential between auto and manuals increase as they transition from being daily drivers to Sunday toys. It will be interesting to see if PDKs follow this as 997 etc follow this transition or whether the whole manual thing will eventually fizzle out. Personally I enjoy the feeling of connectedness a manual provides.... and I don't have a dodgy knee!

The manual/ auto differential seems to also be dependent on model. My suspicion is that as models age the price differential between auto and manuals increase as they transition from being daily drivers to Sunday toys. It will be interesting to see if PDKs follow this as 997 etc follow this transition or whether the whole manual thing will eventually fizzle out. Personally I enjoy the feeling of connectedness a manual provides.... and I don't have a dodgy knee!

Spot on. My 993S is an auto and yes I'd like it to be manual but at the time there was a $50k price difference! Plus it's a cruiser for me so the auto actually suits. The 4 speed tip is pretty agricultural (but acceptable) but I'd think the 5 speed tip & PDK are good units. If I had a choice of a modern auto or 6 speed manual I'd go the former in this particular car. All other have to be manual ;).

I agree about the difference in uses, the typical buyer back when the 996 was new versus the sort of person that buys a 15-20 year old porsche is in most cases a very different person with very different intended uses for the car.

PDK's are pretty robust and are good tech so I can see the price difference staying closer than the tiptronic unuts but I'll be curious to watch it too.

I know when I got my 981 Boxster I tried both and just felt that the current PDK was too good to pass up, while you don't get the involvement of a manual it still gives you a satisfying mechanical 'thud' upshift in Sport Plus with the convenience of having an auto for traffic which I contend with a lot of living only a couple of km's from the CBD.

Spot on. My 993S is an auto and yes I'd like it to be manual but at the time there was a $50k price difference! Plus it's a cruiser for me so the auto actually suits. The 4 speed tip is pretty agricultural (but acceptable) but I'd think the 5 speed tip & PDK are good units. If I had a choice of a modern auto or 6 speed manual I'd go the former in this particular car. All other have to be manual ;).

If I was buying a 'modern - for me this means after 1990) Porsche as a daily driver I'd seriously consider an auto to reduce purchase price and keep driving simple. My current dd is a auto and I'm happy to be less involved in driving during the daily drive even though it's all open road touring. A 5 speed tip 993 actually sounds like a good option.. 928s also have a certain siren song for me as a dd.

Archived