Dyeing seats

LeeM

Been contemplating getting back into some original seats after I reluctantly had to sell my sport seats, and fitted some Sparco race seats, though they're just getting annoying now. Wanted some original seats like George has for sale, yet sadly they're just a bit too expensive for me with freight ontop. I scored these nice seats that have been set up to suit a 911, (many thanks again Zander @ boys own garage), yet I want to dye them black to suit the SC interior. Any recommendations from experience for which brand of spray dye cans to use? 

20170613_154223.jpg

Clean , light sand , dye , rub excess off when dry , sealer. <$100.

It really is not rocket science and relies upon ancient technology (assuming you are dealing with real animal skin & possess some elbow grease)

I have done this and can concur it's a matter of elbow grease and and attention to detail, not hard per se.

I have successfully used the Leatherique products.

Same as the comments above. Condition/clean, sand, prep clean, dye, wax.

I ended up using a sponge for the application.

Good luck Lee!

Yes these products get my thumbs up too 

Any idea if these work on vinyl seats? Also will it rub off on my Miami Vice white suit?

Some blokes on Youtube say its fine Don Johnson. Though shouldn't you be in a Testarossa? 

• 2 years later...

Doing a bit of research into dying of vinyl - seats and dashboard 

Some of the products for vinyl appear to be more the paint and some people allude to using a product that tend to bond or seeping into the fabric itself.

So anyone here had recent experience and success?

My passenger seat still looks great with no wear marks at all. The drivers seat resembles a Friesian cow! (The patchy black n white ones)

I went from tan to black, yet didn't do a very good job with preparing them, and havent had a passenger 😁

I have seen what a pro seat repairer/colourist can do, and it looks great with very minimal wear marks after a year or so of near daily driving

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

My passenger seat still looks great with no wear marks at all. The drivers seat resembles a Friesian cow! (The patchy black n white ones)

I went from tan to black, yet didn't do a very good job with preparing them, and havent had a passenger 😁

I have seen what a pro seat repairer/colourist can do, and it looks great with very minimal wear marks after a year or so of near daily driving

Products sir and a pic of your Fresian ass 

1 hour ago, michel said:

Products sir and a pic of your Fresian ass 

VHT vinyl spray. Will try n get a pic later

I probably didnt prep/sand the seats very well, so the dye was/is just on the surface and not in the pores of the vinyl