PHOTOBUCKET 3rd Party Meter on my posts

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stumped up for the Photobucket plus20 account, felt as though it was the least I could do after using it for free for a few years.

No problems from my end, cost was $35/year

Just watch out for fuskers,  if you have anything "private"

My photo's are all still in photobucket but they want a shedload of cash from me, that ain't happening.

So all the hosting sites are watching to see what happens, they have just picked up millions of new customers overnight, do you think it will be long before they do what photobucket have done? I don't.

Typical of big business I imagine. It just takes one to start the ball rolling, then it's a domino effect

Some can't see the value with paying forum memberships, yet the money to be able to run it has to come from somewhere, yet $400 is a bit rich

yep, I agree Lee, it takes money to run those sort of set ups, and I can understand them trying to have financial members.

A little bit of pre warning re shutting the door on 3rd posting would have been acceptable.  

Plus taking down the photos already posted on forums without warnings........Very disappointing  and will only lose people from signing up.

No doubt the other FREE sites will soon be charging as well.   And...that's all fair enough. 

but as 9er said, I have also used photobucket for yonks and I would be happy to pay a reasonable fee but $400.   no I don't think so

The plus 20 account might be ok for a normal library and sharing, but from what I can see it doesn't cover posting to 3rd parties ie forums, once you reach your limit.  

So not an option.   Looks like that one is only available on the $400 agreement

Plus... if it was an option does that recover the photos and reinstall them to the various forums etc involved.  

Their terms and conditions don't mention any of that.

If you have a gmail account Google offer free unlimited photos, they will compress very large images over 16MP. This has worked great for me consolidating all our happy snaps in one place and having an easy way to link people to our pics.  (I don't have a phone/camera that takes pics larger than 16MP)

Worth a look if you already have a gmail account. I haven't tried linking a photo in a forum but would hope that would work similar to sending links to friends. Can anyone confirm Google photo links work for forum photos?

https://goo.gl/photos/9TdZLT6YYkZcZsDs8

Perhaps not so great, I can only see a way to include a link to a photo not include the image itself.

I just trialed my google image account for postings pics using the iPhone,  Copy the image then paste worked OK in the edit screen. hit "save" and it disappeared. wtf?

Also just tried vgy.me    Copied BB code on Iphone but it doesn't paste properly on the forum.  Works Ok on the desktop PC though.

Trying to insert Google image using "Insert other media" without any success on my phone or laptop.

From my laptop I was able to right click and copy image, then paste into this post successfully. Tried a few different ways from my Android phone without finding one that worked.

om8mECqbmFhmZ5zpRNAusf2tvJqxKWhrh6N14DLr

If you have a gmail account Google offer free unlimited photos, they will compress very large images over 16MP. This has worked great for me consolidating all our happy snaps in one place and having an easy way to link people to our pics.  (I don't have a phone/camera that takes pics larger than 16MP)

Worth a look if you already have a gmail account. I haven't tried linking a photo in a forum but would hope that would work similar to sending links to friends. Can anyone confirm Google photo links work for forum photos?

https://goo.gl/photos/9TdZLT6YYkZcZsDs8

Perhaps not so great, I can only see a way to include a link to a photo not include the image itself.

u can actually use the image.. just need to share and grab the link...

Cant remember how, but i did it on a previous post.

aHeLPYaHeLPYI've said it before I'll say it again, this is the ONLY forum I've ever used that you cannot upload directly to.  As has been pointed out many valuable PFA threads will no doubt have been lost now, with no guarantees it won['t happen again with the next provider.  Easy way to take control and do what the rest of the world was doing 10+ years ago and set up direct uploading.  I don't know technically what's required or about the cost but if everyone else offering a free forum can, why can't PFA where we pay?

...and I'm trialing SmugMug, Postimage, and Flickr.  I can't make any of them do what I want from both desktop and iphone.  Given this is a fairly collective problem perhaps those who have found a working solution posting from desktop and smart phone can make some suggestions.  Consider that some images will be our own and not on a web page too.

If I find a way of making any of the above sites work I'll post up.

SmugMug test. Copied link from the iPhone app direct into the post

https://porkchops.smugmug.com/PFA/i-cR2FWh3

Didn't work. I'll try using the insert other media box.i-cR2FWh3

As you can see it didn't work.  As far as I can see there are no other options from the iphone to copy a link.  The desktop offers lots of options per the below image which is posted below by pasting the BBCODE directly into the thread.  By far the easiest way as you don't need to use the insert into other media box.  Pity you cannot select this option from the App as at least 50% of the time this is what i'll be doing.

SM-XL.jpg

This is direct posted from the Flickr iPhone App

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152503503@N05/aHeLPY

And now using the insert other media box from the Flickr iPhone App which does not work.

And now using the BBCODE from the Flickr desktop browser.  Works fine but you need to delete the second line of code before posting if you don't want all your details along with the image.  Like SmugMug this code can be pasted directly into the thread so is convenient.

35696052261_5d1e596a0a_b.jpg

I only ever upload from my computer, not as tech savvy as you Mr Chops, and I do this from my own domain which I pay for (it is not as straight forward as the free hosting ones but it is how I do it and I have total control over it and who sees it), free stuff will always have issues.

and here is Postimage copied directly into the post but from a desktop browser.

406379_BA-019.jpg

free stuff will always have issues.

I get that, but even on a paid service (SmugMug) uploading to this forum cannot happen from an iphone (I won't say a mobile device as I can't speak for android users).  Perhaps the forum is the issue and not the photo hosting site.  Or we could always upload direct...Just an idea.

I know you're an old fashioned guy Adam but us city slickers spend all day on our mobile devices as we're so damn upwardly mobile so no phone solution is no good.

Who's got a solution that works?

406379BA-019-L.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/PFA/i-cR2FWh3/0/6eb1433d/L/406379BA-019-L.jpg

%5Burl=https://porkchops.smugmug.com/PFA/i-cR2FWh3/A]406379BA-019-L.jpg

OK the above successful image was inserted from a browser on the smartphone from SM.  I had to use the insert other media option.  Interestingly the BBCODE that works on the desktop does not work from the iphone browser.

Thar be ya problem then wiper snapper, get out and drive :D

Cannot you upload it to Instagram and then just share that into PFA? I know means you need to upload all to Insta, but....??

NO.  Instagram is for granstanding, not photo hosting or sharing.  Also you can only upload 1 image at a time to Insta.  Secondary to the first point tho...

I know you're an old fashioned guy Adam but us city slickers spend all day on our mobile devices as we're so damn upwardly mobile so no phone solution is no good.

Who's got a solution that works?

Thar be ya problem then wiper snapper, get out and drive :D

Cannot you upload it to Instagram and then just share that into PFA? I know means you need to upload all to Insta, but....??

Plenty seem to do it?

Also highlights the fact that they have butchered my account as well! So you don't need to go over they just get you!!

All images on Insta can go on the forum but not all images can go on Insta. Only those that make you look like a mega champ. See the difference?

Now you are just messing with me, so Insta images can go here....

So how did you get images on Insta then... :Chuckle2:

Any images can go on the forum it's a matter of how much of a PITA it is to get them there.  The issues with Insta is you don't want to clutter your precious feed / page with anything but your good stuff.  An example is below of what you do not want on there.  This is an ugly shot of some metal fabrication for my hotrod.  Hardly Insta material so I don't want it there but it is part of the story of the refurb of this car.  Also I got 20 similar shots from the fabricator and I do not want to caption and upload individually each and every image.  Insta simply isn't the solution to image storage and sharing.  So it's a matter of vanity and practicality.

IMG_6913.jpg

Further to my summary of alternatives to PhotoAssholes, Smugmug have confirmed you cannot use their iOs App to paste images off your iPhone onto the forum.  You therefore have to use a browser on your phone.  Not ideal but not the end of the world I suppose...

Lastly, I cannot figure out how to use the Flickr App to upload images from your phone, so am going to assume it can't be done.  This is a major PITA as many of the images I capture are on my phone and also texted to me.  You can upload images really easily from the SugMug App, so despite the fact there is a nominal fee for the account I'm going with SM.  Should have listened to Tiian 6 months ago when PB started playing up.

Postimage has no App and is free so I'm just nervous about how big it is and how long it will stick around for.  That said it's really simple and easy to use from the desktop.

Fail.  Hit the share button, choose image size, select BBCODE, click on the link, copy and paste directly into the thread.  See if that works for you as it does for me from my desktop.  Works from iphone too but essentially you're replicating the desktop as you're using a browser version of SM.

1-M.jpg

2-L.jpg

Thanks Pork Chops. I missed one step. 

From desktop:

IMGP4118_zpsml5q3ngb-L.jpg

from iPhone:

%5Burl=https://diamond911.smugmug.com/Porsche-911/i-BwCCFBm/A%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://photos.smugmug.com/Porsche-911/i-BwCCFBm/0/0685a98a/L/Diamond911-L.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

hmmm.....replicated the desktop process via iphone browser and it seems to be struggling with the [square brackets]?

Archived