PHOTOBUCKET 3rd Party Meter on my posts

aHeLPYaHeLPYI've said it before I'll say it again, this is the ONLY forum I've ever used that you cannot upload directly to.  As has been pointed out many valuable PFA threads will no doubt have been lost now, with no guarantees it won['t happen again with the next provider.  Easy way to take control and do what the rest of the world was doing 10+ years ago and set up direct uploading.  I don't know technically what's required or about the cost but if everyone else offering a free forum can, why can't PFA where we pay?

So this change means the majority of prior posts are now devoid of photos?  what a disaster. A forum without photos is pretty bland.  I too would like to see forum architecture that allows photos to be posted directly, just like Facebook.  It would make it far easier and you're far more likely to see interesting content from a wider group of contributors, even the technologically challenged.  All the solutions above seem a pain in the arse so only a small number of members will bother.  Make it easy for everyone.

caveat: I am hardly tech savvy with this stuff so I have no understanding of the implications of such a change.  I assume storage capacity might become an issue?  Hugh just built a new garage, plenty of space for a few mega terra gigabytes?

and Photobucket, what a bunch of tossers.  More than happy if they want to introduce PAYG but how about a bit of communication.........instead they are trying the gun to the head approach, yeah thatll go down well with your customers....?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this change means the majority of prior posts are now devoid of photos?  what a disaster. A forum without photos is pretty bland.  I too would like to see forum architecture that allows photos to be posted directly, just like Facebook.  It would make it far easier and you're far more likely to see interesting content from a wider group of contributors, even the technologically challenged.  All the solutions above seem a pain in the arse so only a small number of members will bother.  Make it easy for everyone.

caveat: I am hardly tech savvy with this stuff so I have no understanding of the implications of such a change.  I assume storage capacity might become an issue?  Hugh just built a new garage, plenty of space for a few mega terra gigabytes?

and Photobucket, what a bunch of tossers.  More than happy if they want to introduce PAYG but how about a bit of communication.........instead they are trying the gun to the head approach, yeah thatll go down well with your customers....?

Correct on every count. Not only boring but also useless in many cases.

IMG_1687.JPG?dl=0

IMG_1687.JPG?dl=0

Cool!

Test 18010216_1490703834294148_58838663278193

Well that is a fail

18010216_1490703834294148_58838663278193

And so is that 

Not a total fail. I love random number sequences.

Would you fellas be prepared to pay modestly higher membership fees for photo hosting on the forum?

(I ask this with zero control or influence over PFA budget...so grain of salt etc)...

I'd have to say no myself, and this is not a dig at any non financial members, but you would then have the FM members paying for something that everyone uses? Unless you made it a user pays system, you want to upload you pay..... maybe lose members? No easy solution. 

I know what my personal 25gb costs me, but how much would it be for large scale storage?

Both good points gents, and I suppose until we find out if it can be done first, and then maybe like other forums a price structure that works for membership level.

I'm thinking is we could resize the photos off your own computer before then posting,  then that would cut down on the storage base required

ie: full membership, allows posting of photos and access to all forums.  

Basic membership... no posting of photos.... no access to certain forums....but allowed to comment on the accessible forums .

Free membership.......Look at certain forums but no posting of comments or photos.

Don't know, but it is a shame we can't successfully work out how to now post up photos.   Especially when there may be a lot of photos from an event.

A POX ON.... PHOTOBUCKET

Imgur.com is what i use. I don't use it as storage though - you don't even need an account, you can just chuck photos up and link to them. I don't use online storage, I used to run flickr but then yahoo bought it and made it shit. This is what inevitably happens on the web, you're better off keeping them local and just use a service like imgur for sharing. Or buy paid hosting.

Changing the fee structure on PFA probably isn't a good idea, images consume so much space and costs are usually based upon how much is stored and how much is transferred. Hugh's new garage would quickly look like Hugh's old garage if we did that...

20130511013_a7867b3e4c_h.jpg
upload picture

imgbb.com test, they have bbedit codes that i know you guys love... has that shit upload pic link appended though

Both good points gents, and I suppose until we find out if it can be done first, and then maybe like other forums a price structure that works for membership level.

I'm thinking is we could resize the photos off your own computer before then posting,  then that would cut down on the storage base required

ie: full membership, allows posting of photos and access to all forums.  

Basic membership... no posting of photos.... no access to certain forums....but allowed to comment on the accessible forums .

Free membership.......Look at certain forums but no posting of comments or photos.

Don't know, but it is a shame we can't successfully work out how to now post up photos.   Especially when there may be a lot of photos from an event.

A POX ON.... PHOTOBUCKET

Whilst I'd happily pay a reasonable amount for hosting, I only have 32 pics up with them, solely to link to forums. $400, c'mon.  I would be much happier to contribute a greater membership fee to PFA to directly upload pics.   And since the world is going that way anyway (pay for), and pretty soon it'll be inescapable, let's get on the front foot.  Surely the uploading process could incorporate an auto image resizing function?

Niko's idea of differing levels of access, depending on m/ship level, makes sense. 

I give up. :PissedOff:

I have tried your instructions Barry, RE .....IMGUR right click on image and copy then paste on forum.

four $#*&%+* seconds....    Fifteen minutes later........

doesn't work for me I must be holding my tongue in the wrong position.

I hate change........

I have tried your instructions Barry, RE .....IMGUR right click on image and copy then paste on forum.

I hate change........

Niko. When you get older it takes all night to do what you used to do all night.

I use Postimage. Tried Imgur and didn't like it

I will have a look at that one, thanks Lee

Can we upload directly yet?

nope... nothing heard on that front

Crew, Kerry is traveling.  We aren't likely to see any changes on this front till he's back.  It will take a bit of consideration to get right.

I hate change........

Worked for me, 4 seconds and BOOM, loaded.

I will have a look at that one, thanks Lee

nope... nothing heard on that front

I just found it easier to use mate.

Sign up, then start uploading. When you want to post here, select the photo and 'share , then scroll down to use 'hotlink for forum's then paste here. If I can do it anyone can

I just found it easier to use mate.

Sign up, then start uploading. When you want to post here, select the photo and 'share , then scroll down to use 'hotlink for forum's then paste here. If I can do it anyone can

I wish you hadn't have put that last bit in....:ConfusedGeek:

Archived