Shed Thread

Pork Chops

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you have any plans for a boat, racing trailer/truck ,or  caravan maybe?

My last garage had about a 6m+ roller door which was very handy at times, although it did flex.

Maybe 1 double width door and a single?

Any  way to shut off 'dirty/dusty jobs from the rest of the garage, depending how you pla to use the shed.

Tv, shower and dunny, and then you'd never need to leave.;)

I don't have any of those items but who knows.  Is there any reason that you know of I can't have a double width roller door?  I've got plans from Ranbuild and they've chosen to put the roller doors and my bifold doors within their modular bays.  I agree, it's much better to have a single wider opening in both cases.  I'll ask them as they're calling today.

Question re concrete.  They're saying grinding and finishing the concrete is a '$20k job it's self' for all sorts of reasons I've been half told.  Doesn't seem to gel with DJM's comments and not sure why they're making a fuss about it.  If it's normal agg there is nothing special about that, it's just the labour (and coating) to grind back and finish 250sqm.  I'll get more details today but be good to get a comment from those that know.

There is a 3 bay machinery shed so all the dirty stuff will happen there.  This shed is exclusively the Porsche-Mahal.  And yes, I'm only a few steps away from building a house to move into and as my wife has pointed out execute a divorce by stealth...

Seen plenty of people welding/grinding on one side and the spray going acroos the shed and over clean stuff on the other side. I have a welding/grinding booth in one corner with its own extraction fan.

Don't forget a big fan and or a dedicated exhaust extractor. You can open doors but if the wind is wrong it wont help much. 

I'll have to learn to weld and grind before that becomes a problem ;).  Maybe I'll check out a tafe course and become a little more practical that my current suburban self.

PC I deal with a lot of Solar companies as we fund a bunch of residential installs across the country.  The coolest capture, storage and monitoring I have seen lately is by Evergen.  They are using CSIRO to build their systems for efficiency and they have a very good app program that uses some machine learning to monitor and set your system so it knows your usage and when to feed in or off the grid based on how u use your power.  They have done a lot of testing with the CSIRO of current storage options and they believe the current Tesla battery is ok but not great. Next gen Tesla due in 2018 is apparently the better version.  Have a look at their website as there is a lot of info there on the FAQ section.

My 2 cents on the build is if h have the space and the funds design for the future as u can never have too much space.

steven.

I'm in the shed market as well, have been chatting to Eureka Sheds and Melbourne Sheds in Hastings. Both seem approachable, accommodating and cheaper than Stratco.

Tip I was given was to over engineer the structural side of things then you will minimise issues when you want to line the inside to create shelving etc.

So this design is simple per Jad's suggestion.  21 x 9m box.  Single skillion roof at 5 degrees rake.  Tall part of the roof is 3,550mm and the short part 2,745mm.  I think this includes a 10 x 5m apron, non structural partition wall between garage and studio, fully insulated, power roller doors, a delux shed I'm told, all for $90k.  Round figures that's $450 / sqm and excludes excavation, retaining wall, water tanks, landscaping, deck, bifold door costs, any interior fitout stuff in either the garage or studio. That compares to Jeff's sqm rate of $262...making mine a whopping 72% more.

The 9,200 dimension is problematic however as it's not really 2 car lengths and needs to go to 10m minimum, possibly 11m.  That being the case their engineering guide says I need a 120mm slab so costs start going up.  They can however do 7m bays (in place of the 3.5m) so I can have a double roller door and the openings for my bifold doors can be 4.5m (5 x 900mm).  

They've been really good to deal with and extremely responsive.  Accordingly I'll get a 3rd set of drawings through in the next few days along with a more accurate costing.  They're owned by Bluescope so are vertically integrated but will have overheads to cover so be interesting to see how they compare to the next guys price wise.  Other than the fear I'm being gouged on price I'd be very happy to use them based on my experience to date.

Shed%20Plans-L.jpg

Can you just go a gable roof instead? That can easily span the 10m and although it is not as trendy as a skilion, it would probably be a whole heap cheaper. You definitely want at least 10m, as you want to be able to park 2 cars end for end and still comfortably walk between them.

I also noticed that you were planning on 2.7 at the back where the hoists are. I know that my 2.7 eaves are too low for most hoists I have looked at.

Can you just go a gable roof instead? That can easily span the 10m and although it is not a trendy as a skilion, it would probably be a whole heap cheaper. You definitely want at least 10m, as you want to be able to park 2 cars end for end and still comfortably walk between them.

Agree about the 10+m.  Not sure why a gable is any cheaper than a skillion but at $90k I'll be looking to save some $$ assuming these guys aren't taking the piss pricing wise and someone else can do it for way less.  I'll get some competitive quotes and see how they vary.  It's got to look right though, after all it's the Shed Mahal.  Did they ask about the cost on the Taj Mahal?

Agree about the 10+m.  Not sure why a gable is any cheaper than a skillion but at $90k I'll be looking to save some $$ assuming these guys aren't taking the piss pricing wise and someone else can do it for way less.  I'll get some competitive quotes and see how they vary.  It's got to look right though, after all it's the Shed Mahal.  Did they ask about the cost on the Taj Mahal?

I am guessing the gable would be cheaper as then you are looking at say 2 x 5+m spans, as opposed to one 10+ span. Even though the batons holding up the roof sheets of my shed are just folded sheet metal, you can still walk on it. Imagine how strong the roof beams would need to be, to stand in the middle of a 10m span.

Well things have escalated quickly from my tin shed...to...

A certain member of PFA has a really really massive shed that's going under the wrecking ball early 2018.  Went to visit the other day to investigate saving the saw tooth part of it for my shed.

IMG_1502-L.jpg

This is the other part!  Wife and bank account says no .  More than likely the neighbours too.

IMG_1500-L.jpg

Stumbled across this the other day.  Not bad at all...

IMG_1530-L.jpg

Finally love this look...car and shed (thanks Tony ;))

IMG_1570-L.jpg

Went to see the property and do some trespassing yesterday.  This is the current machinery shed that is approx. 12 x 6 plus the canopy.  1 bay is full of machinery, 1 bay could be used for cars and car stuff (2 cars max unless a stacker is used), and the last bay is a shed, so hence the need for another!  I think the colour works well an am surprised how a larger landscape swallows up a shed like this.

IMG_1585-L.jpg

IMG_1586-L.jpg

IMG_1587-L.jpg

Well things have escalated quickly from my tin shed...to...

A certain member of PFA has a really really massive shed that's going under the wrecking ball early 2018.  Went to visit the other day to investigate saving the saw tooth part of it for my shed.

IMG_1502-L.jpg

This is the other part!  Wife and bank account says no .  More than likely the neighbours too.

IMG_1500-L.jpg

NOW we're talking!!

Polished concrete will be more expensive due to thicker reinforcing being needed and they should also use a stronger grade of concrete, as well as the need for control joints, but then again a slab that size will need control joints anyway. Why do you want such an expensive finish to a shed?

A gable roof will be more expensive than a skillion, unless they are forming the gable into a portal frame to cut down the steel member size, otherwise they are both spanning the same distance and cost for steel framing will be the same, but more work is involved in making a gable roof over a skillion.

A wider roller door may flex but 5m wide should be fine. I have a panel lift on my home and they have ribs on the inside of the door, zero flex but they do take up roof space when open.

$100k.  So may as well explore building something myself.

Sheda-L.jpg

Polished concrete will be more expensive due to thicker reinforcing being needed and they should also use a stronger grade of concrete, as well as the need for control joints, but then again a slab that size will need control joints anyway. Why do you want such an expensive finish to a shed?

A gable roof will be more expensive than a skillion, unless they are forming the gable into a portal frame to cut down the steel member size, otherwise they are both spanning the same distance and cost for steel framing will be the same, but more work is involved in making a gable roof over a skillion.

A wider roller door may flex but 5m wide should be fine. I have a panel lift on my home and they have ribs on the inside of the door, zero flex but they do take up roof space when open.

It's not a shed with dust and spiders and tools.  It's a shed to store beautiful objects so needs to be finished accordingly.  Gable is cheaper for the reasons you've outlined.  I'd forgotten that you draft ;).

Mate my man cave is 100 square meters and cost me $60 K to do my self ( licences builder ) any building work is going to cost a substantial amount these days materials alone cost and arm and a leg let alone labour my biggest cost was getting out of the ground eg excavation and concrete was $25 K 

Pork Chops - I think you need to go back to what you originally wanted and rework it based on your learnings from your further investigations (including this thread).  It won't be cheap but it doesn't need to cost the earth either.  The basic rules of multiplication apply here. As the area gets bigger, the cost gets bigger.  It doesn't matter that something is 'only $30 sqm', it becomes $30 x area.

Based on what I can glean from this thread, as an example.... https://www.sheds.com.au/industrial/warehouses-factories/#product93 is a full span industrial use shed which you could start with as a base.  It is 20 x 9m, has 4 large roller doors, skillion roof and ranges between 4.9 and 5.8m tall.  Plenty of room for hoists and perhaps some mezzanine area.

The concrete slab can be poured first and 'helicoptered' which will make it very smooth.  Sodium silicate mixed with water can be the first coat on the slab which will seal it.  You could leave it at this if you want.  Or you could add a vinyl laminate for the floor, and as time goes by change it to meet the fashion of the day, or alternatively, an epoxy floor coating suitable for forklift use is approx $55 sqm for a basic colour ($10k for this space), or $77 for something with flakes etc.

The gaps between steel walls and slab edge can be readily filled with any number of products that are DIY.

Insulation and plasterboard are easily fitted and can be painted as fashion dictates or damage repair.  Insulate the roof where possible and even fit some fans to circulate air.

Winter heating can be achieved using a wood heater and a water jacket with hydronic wall panels in other parts of the shed.  High ceilings will hurt because heat rises but insulation and ceiling fans will reduce the impact.  For summer, I'd think about adding some almost ceiling height awning styled windows that you can open to quickly reduce the built up heat (and positioned to allow cross ventilation from your cooling breezes).  Whirly birds do a similar thing but can't be easily made winter proof.

Windows, glass sliding doors and translucent roof sheeting will provide plenty of natural lighting without needing to always have the roller doors open which then reduces the wind entry if you don't want it in the shed.

Movable dividers can be used to demarcate spaces but I reckon you should start without these so you can get a better feel for the space and how it can be used. 

Pallet racking systems are a great way to store stuff, and reasonably cheap (tip - buy second hand, it lasts forever) and use something like yellow tongue floor sheets for the shelves.  Cheap but perfectly suitable.

Wire for power using walls as well as some hanging from the roof (or similar) for the areas you need power or lighting.

Water (a couple of plastic 22k litre above ground tanks are a cheap way to store water), toilet, hot water and portable or temporary power are also needed.   Consider any external water needs such as lawns, fire fighting, washing etc etc.

Cooking can be achieved by a BBQ and supplemented if you want, with a basic hob. A sewer system could be installed depending on your needs but they are living system so they need to be used regularly to keep them functional.

Archived