Shed Thread

Pork Chops

Whoever just liked this thread, your forum name is . ?

Profile says he's located in Brisbane and from one of his original posts, it appears his name is Mike.....

It's a crazy world when one can be reduced to being simply a space and dot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Profile says he's located in Brisbane and from one of his original posts, it appears his name is Mike.....

It's a crazy world when one can be reduced to being simply a space and dot

Most mysterious man on PFA for sure.  I think he's IS infiltrating :ph34r:

If you don't have a bunch of services between your home switchboard and shed, a buried cable fed from your main switchboard will be much simpler than a solar option. If your shed is like mine and predominately used on the weekends, the pay back on electricity savings will probably take a while if you install PV.... and you have the hassle of maintaining it which will also absorb some of the running cost savings.

I would build the shed high enough to put in a proper hoist, they don't cost much and can be moved in your reorganise (presuming slab is suitable).

+1 on installing vermin proofing around edge of shed.

^ now we're talking.  Let's get a pissing contest going :P.  Best shed / man cave on PFA!  Being serious that's amazing.  Floor is regular concrete with a grind and a satin top coat?

Yep. Got them to put a lot of ag in it for that effect. 10mm grind.

And to think it could have been yours a couple of months ago.

Good tips in this thread.

Here's a clip of my shed being built.  I'll echo everyone else's comments that Ranbuild were great to deal with.  Some of the other companies were unable to give me quotes without a lot of prodding.  One of them designed the plans wrong and placed the doors on the wrong wall.  When I pointed it out, they said the price might change if it was moved.  They made me wait a few days for a revised quote!

I agree with the others that your design, is over complicating things and also costing you a crazy amount more. My shed is 7 x 12 x 2.7, and I had Ranbuild do the whole thing, dealing with council, levelling the block, pouring the slab, the lot. From memory the total was around $22k. I know my dad got his shed from Stratco, pretty much the exact same as @JND72 . 12 x 12 x 3.6 with 3 big sliding doors on the front. Supply only (he stupidly put it together himself) was, I believe, about $32k.

Get a standard A frame style shed and go from there. I would also think building a taller shed if you can and put a loft style accomodation on a mezzanine above would be much cooler idea. Then you can be looking out over the cars the whole time.

I might also add, make sure you get a double width roller door so if you want to get a car trailer, etc, in and out it is easy.

I typed a damn good response at lunch time and ended up shutting the browser before posting.

Poo.

Another supplier you can get a price from Pork is  http://www.jhstephenson.com/garages-steel-kit.html (Laverton)

I am just about to erect a custom 25m x 4.3m x 6m at the back (think 5 car garage with L return on the back).

Gal Steel portal frame, bricks on the 3 sides you see, hipped roof, carport, and 25 degree pitch to blend in with the house.

I built one of their  10m x 12m at the last place, and I like their spans, purlin sections and general strength.

They will customise for you, and provide the eng drawings.etc. We are currently at the footing stage, and are erecting it ourselves, due to their erectors being booked out until after Christmas. Saved 5K in doing it, 2 walls are colorbond on boundaries, and will be clad, then erected, then trusses, and other walls. Plumbing has all been dug.

We need strip footing (700mm deep) (about $5,500) and infill slab for a garage of this size is about $6500, if that helps.

If you do an infill slab (pouring after the walls are clad) which is common and good for sealing up, keep in mind that the concrete is very alkaline and will eat up colorbond (actually they wont warrant the sheeting if theres no barrier).

I'm also tossing up about the hoist, mainly to aid in resto work, and have 3m walls. The infloor lifter looks like my preferce though, as I think a trad 2 post hoist is likely to get in the way a lot of the time

If anyone has more tips on concrete sealing, I was just going to use an Epoxy paint like Berger jetdry,  but a sealer would be ok too.

We are in Victoria and I'm debating   insulation or not?

Bathust ads must have grabbed my attention as one of these is going in too:

http://www.bnd.com.au/products/accessories/auto-lock/bnd-auto-lock

I've run out of 'likes' for today fellas but many thanks for all the input which is really valuable.  Seems Ranbuild are a quality outfit and given they're close enough to the property might be a good bet.  I'll see if I can find an alternative to ensure pricing is reasonable.  I'll also look into DJM's suggestion on prefab trusses and stud frames, but that option will require a lot more from me as I've got to PM the whole thing and be an owner builder.  Might be fun, might be a pain, but if the quality is better then might be worth the effort.

We settle 5th Jan 2018 so I've got a bit of time to get my head around this.  We'll spend about 10 days on the property after we get the keys so will be able to ponder location, and therefore design and with luck have it all done by mid 2018.

Some photos for reference, seems there may be interest. But some of the other shed/garage shots are a cut above!

35542272303_7826143a12_b.jpgSite prep, lots of rock walls and the extra hole in the middle is for the concrete reinforcing for a hoist. 

35542000763_2641412ee6_b.jpgSlab done. 

36213053421_3540498afc_b.jpgFrame up

35952509770_ba29b6404d_b.jpgFinished product. 

36348907705_b885b1bd3c_b.jpgInside with sealed concrete - 2 coats. 

2 post hoist to be installed (Bendpak 4.5T) - just need a free weekend!

36938049075_8d7cd51143_b.jpg

Been giving this some thought and thing this would work well.  You'll have to excuse my non technical MS XL drafting skillz.

• 20 x 10 rectangle.  Simple
  • Single skillion roof sloping down to the back
  • 3 rollers doors
  • 3 sets of bifold doors
  • Deck
  • 5m deep driveway apron
  • Plenty of space for cars and other stuff like work spaces and spares

Shed-L.jpg

Nick, I’m sure you’ve thought of this already but making the roof high enough for hoists means that 6 car garage can become 12 relatively cheaply. If we knock our house down I’m planning a garage tall enough to turn 3 car spots into 6, including being able to get my Range Rover under a hoist that has a car on top of it...

I’d also echo the shelving. Jeeze I could do with more of that

You can never have enough shelving for storage. 

Agreed.

Nick, I’m sure you’ve thought of this already but making the roof high enough for hoists means that 6 car garage can become 12 relatively cheaply. If we knock our house down I’m planning a garage tall enough to turn 3 car spots into 6, including being able to get my Range Rover under a hoist that has a car on top of it...

I’d also echo the shelving. Jeeze I could do with more of that

Agreed.  If you look carefully there are 2 levels of cars at the back of the shed ;).

do you have any plans for a boat, racing trailer/truck ,or  caravan maybe?

My last garage had about a 6m+ roller door which was very handy at times, although it did flex.

Maybe 1 double width door and a single?

Any  way to shut off 'dirty/dusty jobs from the rest of the garage, depending how you pla to use the shed.

Tv, shower and dunny, and then you'd never need to leave.;)

Any  way to shut off 'dirty/dusty jobs from the rest of the garage, depending how you pla to use the shed.

Seen plenty of people welding/grinding on one side and the spray going acroos the shed and over clean stuff on the other side. I have a welding/grinding booth in one corner with its own extraction fan.

Don't forget a big fan and or a dedicated exhaust extractor. You can open doors but if the wind is wrong it wont help much. 

Archived