Stupidest thing you've ever done to your Porsche...

Inane topic but had to laugh at risk of crying yesterday when I backed my Turbo into a concrete parking delineator.  The moment was made worse by two key factors:

1. it was at a child care centre and all the kids playing out in the yard came out to see the car just before the scrape happened (stopped me from swearing at least)
  2. only recently had a reverse camera installed but didn't have the infotainment system switched on so missed it (should have seen it anyway with my own eyes!)

Got me thinking as to what other stupid things people had done with their Porsche - either by accident or on purpose and only after the fact you thought to yourself, now why did I just do that?!!!

For example....https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/globe-journalists-son-crashes-180000-porsche/article4320602/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Parked it in a school car park next a school oval, surrounded by soccer moms in SUVs.

Next blooper was parking near another soccer mom at an athletics carnival. As I may have mentioned before , her first words were "that's the 2nd time my reversing alarm hasn't worked".

Trust no-one , they are all out to kill your nice car, and they certainly couldn't care less. It's a Porscha.

Sorry Porschas I'll try not to be so stupid again. At least there's only 2 days of school left , ever.

There is a short rubber hose that runs from the top of the water pump to a steel coolant line in a 944 on the exhaust side. This little hose is about 90mm long and is right beside the oil filter, it is so close to the filter that the only way i know how to remove the filter is to use the self adjusting claw type oil filter remover and you can only turn it about 15mm at a time or it fouls on the rubber hose and rips the hose.

Well i have done it twice in 2 separate cars now, the first time i ordered 2 new hoses. The last time i did it was the night before a fairly big drive and i decided to change the oil about 6 in the evening. When i went back and put the oil filter on it was late and i had been out for a couple of cold ones, easy as oil filter on, sump plug in, fill with oil go to bed. I spent the next 2 hrs replacing the little hose after i snagged it with the oil filter tool and it is a PITA job, I  got to bed at nearly midnight that night, i won't do that after several beers again.

Good thread.  I know it's not right to laugh at others misfortune but...

As for me, I discovered a tradie up a ladder drilling into the work garage concrete ceiling right above the rear of my car.  I politely suggested I'm happy to move the car out of the way which of course was met by a grunting/shrugging sort of response then back to work.  Stupid thing I did was joke "fair enough, just don't drop a hammer on it".  Don't think it was a hammer, but something has landed on it.  And that happened today! :PissedOff:

STUPID RETARD ME was replacing the battery on my 997 easy Job done it before on the Pcar an many other cars etc ....... using a 1/4 inch ratchet bar and a short extension to comfortably get to the terminal nuts to undo them ........was undoing the positive terminal side and the ratchet bar touched and earthed out on the aluminium hard AC return line adjacent to it and blow a small pin hole in the line resulting in loss of all the cars AC gas and the yellow AC lubricant going every were ....:wacko: 

After a period of swearing and cursing ,,,I covering the hole with some tape to direct the oily mess down the cars drain holes in that area,,,, I got online and tracked down a replacement used line from an online Porsche wrecker in Germany $150 AUD posted to Oz 2 week postage time ....when the line arrived ,,,fitted the replacement line and then got a local AC guy to come the following week  and regas the cars AC system,,, cost $170 ..........total extra cost of battery change $320 ,,,,,,, not having any AC for a month PRICELESS............:D

Lesson learned from this always use  rubber or plastic insulated tools when playing with the positive side of the battery to avoid arching out on any thing ..........No brainer but I managed to mess it up ,,lucky it was my car banghead.gif

There is a simpler way.... always undo the earth first (and completely remove) when removing battery and put on and tighten the positive first when installing before you attach the earth, never get an arc/ short that way :)

The most stupid thing I have ever done is SOLD them. Luckily I have only made this mistake twice and I still have one or two lying around 

The other slightly less stupid thing, I never tracked my first Porsche. Don’t make the same mistakes as I did. 

Track your P car at least once and don’t sell it - simple ?

not a Porsche but you can insert substitute version.

My first car I bought at age 18 was 71 Ford Capri 1600 (still have it). FF 20 years later and I was told of a registered and running 71 V6. GT Capri that was for sale locally.

Bought it for $300, drove it home, went like a rocket. I just wanted the V6 bonnet, rostyles, console, etc to put on my 1600.

Took the bits off, and onsold it for $300 a couple a weeks later.How good am I?

FF again a year or so and I'm contacted by the new owner about it. Turns out, what I sold was a limited edition, one of 30 or something, Bob Stillwell cars that was a  'special' edition high V6, 165BHP output. I checked the VIN, and skimmed through the owner manual and saw a special sticker saying this is a special 165HP and now worth 2 motza's........idiot.

Ultra stupid in that I DIDN'T buy a 1960s 356 speedster when they were ordinary cars and ordinary old car prices & I stumbled across it - just a bit unprepared.

The car was OK but a bit shabby for a 10+ year old car, but I could have kept running it easily for years. What scared me off was the primitive 'homemade' level of conversion from LHD to RHD when I was told this was a Melbourne delivered when new car. (Liars!!! I thought)

A few months later I went to a Porsche concours & saw a few speedsters lined up & they were all the same as the one I saw & so I had been stupidly wrong. 

By this stage the Dutton boys were buying them all up, so I knew I had missed that boat. 

PS: most stupid thing I have ever done while working on a non P. car that I owned was fixing something on petrol tank & locked myself in the boot!!!

Lost control.............a few times...........but I'm getting better. :rolleyes:-_-

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." Ferdinand Porsche

Or do you mean more with the spending... $$$ :D

PS: most stupid thing I have ever done while working on a non P. car that I owned was fixing something on petrol tank & locked myself in the boot!!!

Did ya get out? :o

Lost control.............a few times...........but I'm getting better. :rolleyes:-_-

You learn by your mistakes so I'm told. Long as you are not doing it at the same corner each time Hugh.

Archived