New 718 to have GT3 Motor

k0nz

I'd bet my left testicle the next Spyder / GT4 won't have the GT3 4.0L. It doesn't make any sense.

Plus the spy shots of the test mules point towards them being a a turbo - specifically in reference to the split exhaust outlets, and the extra side intakes.

80-aie_718_1_9d6261632ee7c9e24a1d6ea13ff

b8a77d1e_8f4d_4f8a_be01_edcba1aac033_773

The NA cars have always had a center exhaust. (GT4, GT3)

porsche-cayman-gt4-rear-bumper.jpg

Image result for 997 gt3 rear

Turbo cars split (991 GT2)

2018-porsche-911-gt2-rs-rear-view-look.j

996TT

Image result for 996 turbo rear

Ok so the 718 has a center exhaust and is a turbo 4 to ruin my logic. But my guess is the Spyder and 718 GT4 will use the 3.0TT from the 991 911S (following the concept of the last cars using the Carerra engine).

I hope I'm wrong and it has the 4.0L N/A. But I'd still get one with a 3.0TT - but probably not if it has a worked 4cyl.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The problem with the turbo 6 is the size. If it won’t fit it won’t fit so turbo 4 or NA 6 are the only real options and who would buy a turbo 4 GT car? Not me. And it is on the record that GT cars will remain NA. I wouldn't read anything into the exhaust location as its the sound comming from it that matters. ? The location move could also be due to the addition of a rear defuser as per GT3

The GT cars must be NA rule already fails with the GT2. I personally think that rule only applies to the GT3. The whole "on the record" thing came from an interview about the series 2 991 GT3 before it was released. As far as I know it's never been stated for the GT4. 

My testicle is still on it being a 3.0TT (admittedly I've already got 2 kids and have had the snip so it's quite surplus to requirements these days anyways). They'll be able to make it fit if they want to I'm sure and I still think it is the ideal option for them in the product line-up spectrum.

They won’t make changes to the structural body as its just to expensive as in mega $$$$. Even the GT3 RS only gets pannels/skins etc. I would also rule out the 6’s turbos being moved out the back as there is just about everything wrong with doing that. Based on the engineering alone I would rule out seeing the 6 turbo in this gen 718 because of the $$$ involved. 

On the other hand they have all the parts ready to go for a detuned 4L 6cyl NA with PDK and Manual options so not much in the way of engineering cost other than cosmetics and any other non core/structual additions they want to add such as diffusers. This is the max return for minimum outlay and would keep way more people happy. 

Of course they could be really stupid and use the 4cyl turbo so I guess we will have to wait and see. ?

OK, my interest lies with the 718 Spyder - I have just placed a $2500 deposit for an "expression of interest" in a 2018 718 Spyder. Deal breaker for me would be a 4cyl engine. Whilst Porsche wont speculate on the engine the only info I could get from PCM was that the 718 GT4 and 718 Spyder would share the same powerplant - read into that what you may, whilst my heart says the cars will have a flat 6 I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche releases a 4cyl GT car if not only to demonstrate the potential of the engine and draw more people into the 718 Boxsters and Caymans. Lets not forget they can wring the life out of a 4cyl with big hairdryers and make it batshit crazy fast, so it wont be about raw speed - its all about soul....

Lets see, hopefully around Feb the details should be solid

4 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche releases a 4cyl GT car

More than likely I suspect most (if not all) of the new models moving forward will be 4's, its a sign of the times. They (like all new Porsches) will be better than the last but us tragic's will most likely remain trapped in the past wanting 3 pedals & 6 cylinders. 

In the sports cars at least, Porsche keep the one configuration engine across the board, ie - same number of cylinders, and has done so pretty much in the past (a couple of exceptions). History is not on the side of adding 2 cylinders to the special models..... but who knows!

The German website Auto Motor Sport just did an article stating the car was going to be a 4cyl. And they are usually more correct than most internet "journalists".

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/erlkoenig-porsche-boxster-spyder-2018-daten-infos-marktstart-preis-662625.html

I still think it's all a guess at this stage.

If it's a 4.0L NA I'll sell mine and get one. If it's a 3.0TT 6 I'll keep mine but also get one of these as well and then see which one I like more, but if its a 4cyl I'll just keep my old one and not bother with the new one - even though I really rate the 718S.

13 minutes ago, Snowman said:

The German website Auto Motor Sport just did an article stating the car was going to be a 4cyl. And they are usually more correct than most internet "journalists".

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/erlkoenig-porsche-boxster-spyder-2018-daten-infos-marktstart-preis-662625.html

If it's a 4.0L NA I'll sell mine and get one. If it's a 3.0TT 6 I'll keep mine but also get one of these as well and then see which one I like more, but if its a 4cyl I'll just keep my old one and not bother with the new one - even though I really rate the 718S.

Thanks for the link, interesting article - car sure does look the goods, I love the styling; lets see, fingers crossed on the six. Regardless, I am sure that its a fantastic car, just need to convince myself its worth the extra coin over say a GTS if its sharing the same engine essentially

7 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

testicles not lost - just Retractile  pending donk choice

Yuck, too much information.  Having to yank a 4 cylinder out of your groin is simply gross.

It'll be a 4 cyl turbo, they need to bolster (create) a halo effect for the littlest hairdryers.

Don't forget, they're a marketing company that happens to produce cars...

9 minutes ago, KGB said:

Yuck, too much information.  Having to yank a 4 cylinder out of your groin is simply gross.

It'll be a 4 cyl turbo, they need to bolster (create) a halo effect for the littlest hairdryers.

Don't forget, they're a marketing company that happens to produce cars...

Lets see what materialises

I can always buy a Red 964 - no expression of interest deposits required on those. Either a 964 or an Audi A1 Quattro - same BHP output and all......:ph34r:

^^ That said I still think the driving force behind what the final configuration is will be influenced by what they believe is the best option for their next gen GT4 race-car is.

GT4 racing is experiencing a boom and sadly the current gen Cayman has a rep for being "ok at most circuits but great at none". With Ginetta, Ford, GM, BMW, Merc, Audi, Mclaren and KTM all coming out with new cars in the segment that importantly all have a lot of  development room in their current cars - I expect Porsche to produce something that that will be more competitive than the current car. The problem they have with the current car is they can't really extract any more out of it. They did the "MR" package which was just some lighter doors and a plastic windscreen but it didn't net much in terms of lap time gains. The KTM for example carries 400kgs of ballast to meet GT4 BOP - remove that at Phillip Island at the car is 4s / lap faster. The BMW M4 has "power sticks" - a USB plug in at determines the amount of HP the engine produces. The car apparently has lots more speed in it with updates to these.

The GT4 and Spyder road cars do come from the motorsport division after all so they will have some say in it's design.

5 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

I can always buy a Red 964 - no expression of interest deposits required on those. Either a 964 or an Audi A1 Quattro - same BHP output and all......:ph34r:

'Cause 265kw was all too much?

Let's reconvene in early '18 and see who was closest to the pin.

1 hour ago, hugh said:

More than likely I suspect most (if not all) of the new models moving forward will be 4's, its a sign of the times. They (like all new Porsches) will be better than the last but us tragic's will most likely remain trapped in the past wanting 3 pedals & 6 cylinders. 

Gotta say that listening to the engine notes of cars going past at Sandown on Sunday, the 718's that PCB had there sounded woeful compared to the 6's.  And of course, the burnt orange GT3RS sounded best of all :)

2 hours ago, Snowman said:

Is there a translation tab anywhere, I don't spik Tzerman.

6 minutes ago, JimTT said:

Is there a translation tab anywhere, I don't spik Tzerman.

Open it in a chrome browser and you can auto translate - its 95% accurate

Translate option appears in top right corner of browser, the generative software that Google has developed to do this is the most advanced in the world - it learns more about the language after every translation (nerd fact)

1 hour ago, KGB said:

'Cause 265kw was all too much?

Let's reconvene in early '18 and see who was closest to the pin.

I forgot your daily driver was a Mini - an Audi A1 would be way too butch and too much car for you to handle

But I did notice that a lot of A1s seemed to ship in RED

Archived