996-7 Turbo, GT2 appreciation thread.

Fraz

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I can just hear it, pretty frightening at that speed. Plus there's no nannies in that car, you're on your own when something goes wrong..

Its a shame about the engine and not good to hear you had some saga with Fitzy.

How are you liking the GT4 ?

Yep SC/TC might be considered soft for GT cars but ill take it every day versus fear of being spat into the trees.

re Fitzy and the journey, happy to discuss with anyone who finds themselves in the predicament of needing a new engine and pass on what I learned.  Not fair to air my laundry here for everyone to form an opinion.

Wrong thread to reply to your question but...........NA all the way, GT4 is awesome.❤️  Down on outright power and speed, up on engagement, sound and accessible thrills. a keeper (until I grow impatient for the next best thing  ?)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Peter John said:

Sounds like the turbo guys are still on holidays? Any others care to share for some eye candy and excitement?

From my experience most blogging etc is done during work hours. 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:33 PM, 901er said:

Anyone ever owned both 996tt and 997tt? I'm pretty keen to hear what they are like back to back. Didn't think I would ever say this, but I have really fallen in love with the 996 in the last  year or so 

owned a gen 2 997TT and once drove it back to back with a 996 gt3. Such different animals. The 997tt is such a well planted car and very easy to drive. Gen 2 PDK is insanely fast - to be honest too fast for normal driving and so felt under utalised most of the time.  The 996 gt3 was so much more skittish and I certainly had to back off a bit. There was quite a big step up in power/times from gen 1 to gen 2 997tt's and of course the 996tt's. At now around $100k for a 996tt this seems pretty good value now, but you sense both 997 and 996 are now on their way further down. Hard to deny that the 997 is a better looking car, but once the 996 hits $50k... 

On 07/01/2018 at 7:07 PM, Jimmy said:

TurboT

IMO there is no way 996T will fall to 50's, have you been on the turps mate ?

As you know not all 996tt's are alike. Went for a spin in you ex car.  Got a good 10 to 15% extra butt  dyno go over my slightly tweaked 996tt which I reckon has a good 10 to 15% more butt dyno go over a stock one.  Bit of inspiration to push along getting delivery of Kevin's special  wheels and apply some of his magic on an old school bosch ecu box. Compared to a messed with 996tt,not convinced you can easily get a 997 tt spooling hard in the 1xxx rpm to 3500rpm range (996gt3's excel at that rpm range right) to make the car more streetable whilst at the same time monstering a stock 997tt on a dyno based on a more like for like budget.  But yes the 997tt is a better car in stock guise, but who buys and enjoys  stock boosted twin turbo's. Me reckons your ex car with tune and exhaust would outrun a stock 997tt series 1 or 2 and plenty of cash leftover in the pocket. Fits my definition of good value for money or bang for buck both in terms of dollars and butt dyno experience.

PS Turbo T' s senses have  indeed been affected by the Turps and he appears to have done a massive u turn.  E.g. called me out two years ago for saying its non sense to be able to pick up  a clean 996tt for 100k and would need circa 150k.  Now saying best to get out now and offload my car for 6 figures whilst the going is good and break even (personally reckon it would take north of  125k even to have a inkling of  an itch to selling  mine.  Eg advertised price of 100k for a 996tt  to tyre kicking to adding up what's it going to take  to get the car up to scratch doesn't land you at a 6 figure advertised sticker price for those in the know and have tyre kicked a 996tt in recent times.  Now in two years time  two 996tt's for essentially 5 figures? (perhaps non runners)  E.g. cost of a good 996tt will be a similar cost to  a well rebuilt replacement mezger motor for a 996tt.  +1on a Turps call.

Here I was 3km in my circa 3000km hike to work on Sunday and was pleasantly shocked to come across a  glimpse of a black 996 carerra with what appeared to be a gt3 rear wing on the side of the road with a big cardboard box sign with what I read as  41k taking up the entire  front windscreen and thinking that seems cheap  starting with a three number (circa 2 bitcoins) with some argy bargy and worth a tyre kick being so close to home to report back on.  Got to love old school advertising.

2 hours ago, smit2100 said:

As you know not all 996tt's are alike. Went for a spin in you ex car.  Got a good 10 to 15% extra butt  dyno go over my slightly tweaked 996tt which I reckon has a good 10 to 15% more butt dyno go over a stock one.  Bit of inspiration to push along getting delivery of Kevin's special  wheels and apply some of his magic on an old school bosch ecu box. Compared to a messed with 996tt,not convinced you can easily get a 997 tt spooling hard in the 1xxx rpm to 3500rpm range (996gt3's excel at that rpm range right) to make the car more streetable whilst at the same time monstering a stock 997tt on a dyno based on a more like for like budget.  But yes the 997tt is a better car in stock guise, but who buys and enjoys  stock boosted twin turbo's. Me reckons your ex car with tune and exhaust would outrun a stock 997tt series 1 or 2 and plenty of cash leftover in the pocket. Fits my definition of good value for money or bang for buck both in terms of dollars and butt dyno experience.

PS Turbo T' s senses have  indeed been affected by the Turps and he appears to have done a massive u turn.  E.g. called me out two years ago for saying its non sense to be able to pick up  a clean 996tt for 100k and would need circa 150k.  Now saying best to get out now and offload my car for 6 figures whilst the going is good and break even (personally reckon it would take north of  125k even to have a inkling of  an itch to selling  mine.  Eg advertised price of 100k for a 996tt  to tyre kicking to adding up what's it going to take  to get the car up to scratch doesn't land you at a 6 figure advertised sticker price for those in the know and have tyre kicked a 996tt in recent times.  Now in two years time  two 996tt's for essentially 5 figures? (perhaps non runners)  E.g. cost of a good 996tt will be a similar cost to  a well rebuilt replacement mezger motor for a 996tt.  +1on a Turps call.

Here I was 3km in my circa 3000km hike to work on Sunday and was pleasantly shocked to come across a  glimpse of a black 996 carerra with what appeared to be a gt3 rear wing on the side of the road with a big cardboard box sign with what I read as  41k taking up the entire  front windscreen and thinking that seems cheap  starting with a three number (circa 2 bitcoins) with some argy bargy and worth a tyre kick being so close to home to report back on.  Got to love old school advertising.

Time to bolt on that collection of goodies onto your car , I mean its worth bugger all,  better add some value ;) Maybe you will get a few JDM trades for it .

On 7 January 2018 at 9:39 PM, turboT said:

Hard to deny that the 997 is a better looking car, but once the 996 hits $50k... 

If this ever happens I will gladly have 2 in my garage.  A mate of mine sold his 964 Turbo in 2001 for 89k.  Same car recently changed hands for over 500k. 

Go figure ! ... who knows where prices will go with these amazing machines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a car worth watching, I test drove it and it’s the one responsible for me ending up with a Turbo. With a few unknowns as to the work required, she was a bit too “driven” for me but very cool at the same time, having said that it’s a race car with an extensive history.

This car is an animal with a built motor, big turbo’s, with boost that hits like a sledge hammer. 

Bit more info from my investigations.

http://joelstrickland.com.au/blog/tag/porsche-996-turbo/

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/speeddemon/garage/2001-porsche-996-turbo/

Latest outing. 

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5235231/praise-for-new-look-event/

Two years in, and still absolutely loving my 997.1T (Manual, Cab)

Only mod has been Cobb access port tuning module running the stage 1 tune. Dynoed at 300+kw at the wheels. 

Came from factory / dealer when new with short shift.

Prices on these cars seem to have stabilised at $150k. Mine is unlikely to ever be sold.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Have to share this Mr @symsy in around 2006. :D

9DDA933E-3A63-46F1-917B-081F94FC169A

Ahead of the curve mate , you guys take a long time to catch on !!!   Water cool and Boost will enter my Aussie garage one day mate I promise

2 hours ago, Jase11 said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-4366154

Wow...I remember seeing this come up then disappear last year while I was looking. He’s either had a change of heart shortly after posting this morning or sold it within hours. 

What was the asking price this time around ?

On 19/03/2018 at 11:03 AM, Jase11 said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-4366154

Wow...I remember seeing this come up then disappear last year while I was looking. He’s either had a change of heart shortly after posting this morning or sold it within hours. 

The surgeons car that was advertised initially for half the price last year to that  high 2 number. 

Just a view but as a seller do you take any offer subject to finance on a second car seriously without taking to your bank a non refundable deposit.  Interesting advertising strategy of memoralising  9 false starts previously.   Nicely tweaked, but seems strange sprouting   a vmax of 320km and 0 to 200 in 11 sec but  that its been driven conservatively relatively speaking.  

Archived