Alternative ways to find my first Porsche

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/03/2018 at 9:45 AM, symsy said:

Just went to check the lobster pots , unfortunately empty because a mate just ran off with whats in one of them.. a 2.7,manual,coupe sold early 40's ..and yes it needed some love but it tells me they are still out there .   I measure whats happening mostly from the fisherman than show me their catch at the dockside and or are eating on a plate. Rarely does this stuff get to carsales if at all.

I wont say more cos it aint fair to new owners.. but just means as you are, keep looking and change bait..  You will find one.. its a softening market in some areas.. you are a man with money and vision..  Hold your money , not everyone is up for the work.. My suggestion dont just jump at the crap thats out there.

Lowball is a perception , value your money, its a question , you can be an admirer at a price that suits you , no need to be rude. Perceptions move.

Sage advice!

Thanks for the chat today Symsy and thanks for checking those lobster pots! I noticed another post on here where someone with a similar budget offering a massive finders fee! The competition is strong! Might have to upgrade those lobster pots to a big drag net! Sheesh! My budget is stretched enough! I've got my wanted ad on gumtree and for the moment, that's about as good as I get. Might be time to get creative... somehow... 

Thanks everybody for your advice so far... I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about finding a nice lobster now! 

22 hours ago, rafikdous said:

914, its a Porsche (well, sort of) and aircooled

You will get a very decent one for under $45k

I have a 914 grind cam in my Kombi.  That makes it a porsche engine, right?   :)

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-5058136/?ret=price-alert&utm_source=internal-carsales-notification-centre-price-alert&utm_medium=email

Grab this - before I do.  Seriously.  

And you will $5k left over for new tyres, a service, a dent removal dude and maybe some new door trims.

Yeah yeah it’s a little banged up, and someone may have been murdered in the interior, but if it starts and runs down the road who cares?  One year only spec, simple manual roof, original motor etc etc. Great learner car to fix and improve as you go. 

Ps.  And you know what you’re getting going in. 

IF its not a rustbucket &

IF the mechanicals are even half-decent

then it could be made a lot more attractive for not too much effort &/or money.

Sheeesh - I have a lot of those bits somewhere in my garage. but I dont have the spare time this year as USA beckons.

To my mind It would be worth getting and just driving it while you refurbish it. Bit like an A/C Californication.

You would want to check with Porsche that it's a factory convertible ... it may well be a targa that's had the rear window taken out .... not a problem if you are aware but a nasty surprise if you weren't ....

Quite a few k in bodywork hiding there.  Might be a bargain, might be a money pit.  An eyes open purchase would be required.  Need to know what top money for an SC convertible is in case of getting too far upside down.

1 hour ago, Pork Chops said:

Just cos @OBRUT has a cool cab doesn’t mean you will too. I beg to differ. I reckon it’s a turd. Run.

There is that view as well.

is there anyone on PFA who is a 911 cab owner?  Nobody ever talks about them

7 minutes ago, Coastr said:

They only lurk. The shame. The shame! Actually I think they’re under rated but for my money only a 3.2C or a 997 onwards are acceptable. Possibly a 993. Problem is if they’re a cab they’ve GOT to be a manual and that’s not an easy combo.

For that money and going cab you’d be bonkers not to go Boxrod.

3 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

They only lurk. The shame. The shame! Actually I think they’re under rated but for my money only a 3.2C or a 997 onwards are acceptable. Possibly a 993. Problem is if they’re a cab they’ve GOT to be a manual and that’s not an easy combo.

For that money and going cab you’d be bonkers not to go Boxrod.

Hmmm - I sort of agree with you but :

with a Boxster boxrod its sort of like a Kleenex tissue. You use it for what you immediately need & when finished, its just thrown away afterwards???  /sarc

Any A/C 911 has some residual value.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I’ve got three!

73E targa

964 Speedster

and

RallyCab!!!

Ps. I think a nicely modded RS style cab could be cool. 

Pared back interior, groovy seats, lowered, cool wheels. 

Maybe it’s just me...

2 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Hmmm - I sort of agree with you but :

with a Boxster boxrod its sort of like a Kleenex tissue. You use it for what you immediately need & when finished, its just thrown away afterwards???  /sarc

Any A/C 911 has some residual value.

Nothing is forever. We all turn to dust and when we do what’s the intrinsic value of your air cooled car? Boxrod, and live for the moment :).

15 hours ago, Dreamr said:

You would want to check with Porsche that it's a factory convertible ... it may well be a targa that's had the rear window taken out .... not a problem if you are aware but a nasty surprise if you weren't ....

It's likely to be a factory convertible, 83 was the first year. At that price it's not really a drama

Its crazy how the cheapest porsches always end up being the most expensive, while the most expensive porsches end up being the cheapest.

It's pretty universal unless you talk about the 911 GT and Turbo models.   The 356 speedster was a cut price special.

3 hours ago, JLD said:

It's likely to be a factory convertible, 83 was the first year. At that price it's not really a drama

Agreed that it should be .... I only pointed it out as being an '83 it's sitting right on the border of not being a factory one ...

Thanks for posting the links to the silver car! Whilst I know I said I wasn't picky... and beggars cant be choosers, etc, etc.. that one is probably outside the realms of what i'm looking for...

I'm ok with some body work and paint, but that looks like it's a little beyond my skill set, plus the 400,000kms plus are getting right up there - probably engine rebuild time very, very soon.

I have had a couple of cars of interest come to my attention. I went to look at one of them... similar price to the silver one, similar body work required although probably easier to fix. It had a bit of body filler, but unfortunately not running at all and leaking a fair bit of oil (read a bucket).  I wasn't prepared to take a 40k gamble on an unknown engine, that I couldnt test drive.

I've had a bit of a look around on this forum... was wondering if there are any buyers guide threads for A/C 911's and what to look out for?
I wasn't able to find any... I struggled finding much decent on the wider web either...

I know VW's well and would know exactly where to look for rust, what to look for in the engine bay, etc... I'm hoping to find something similar for 911's.

Archived