Alternative ways to find my first Porsche

1 hour ago, TrevMcRev said:

Do these things not have power steering?

Is that why the dude has some of those forearm/grip exercise things handy?

cp5544673531227212897.jpg?pxc_method=fit

Door is opening too far.  Probably broken the weld inside the door that holds it shut.  Suppposedly hard to fix.

The strength thing might have been a getto fix for a door spring.  Or maybe flexes it to punch the next person who declares it a 'hairdresser car'

G-series interiors are pretty amazing.  Look at the treatment of that door card, yet I reckon it would clean up OK if you got rid of the race tape and gave it a good scrub.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody else experienced the joy of placing a 'wanted' ad on gumtree? If you haven't, you should try it. :)

One bloke sends me a photo of a car... the photo was taken with a potato... and asks me how much I would pay for this particular blurry car.
Next bloke sends me a few photos of a project car - looks good from the thumb covered photos I saw - he gave me a price and I asked for more details... didnt hear back.

Another guy sends me a message about a targa which isn't running, I go have a look... the bucket of oil dripping from the bottom of the car is a slight turn off... the fact that the guy is a mechanic and tells me it's been sitting in his shed for 5 years and all it needs is a fuel pump replacement - but he guarantees it's running. If he gets it running for me, it's an extra $5k.  Geez - expensive fuel pump and 30 mins of labour! Pass.

Then there are the endless pointless messages, telling me that I'm dreaming... helpful.

1 hour ago, AdRock said:

Has anybody else experienced the joy of placing a 'wanted' ad on gumtree? If you haven't, you should try it. :)

One bloke sends me a photo of a car... the photo was taken with a potato... and asks me how much I would pay for this particular blurry car.
Next bloke sends me a few photos of a project car - looks good from the thumb covered photos I saw - he gave me a price and I asked for more details... didnt hear back.

Another guy sends me a message about a targa which isn't running, I go have a look... the bucket of oil dripping from the bottom of the car is a slight turn off... the fact that the guy is a mechanic and tells me it's been sitting in his shed for 5 years and all it needs is a fuel pump replacement - but he guarantees it's running. If he gets it running for me, it's an extra $5k.  Geez - expensive fuel pump and 30 mins of labour! Pass.

Then there are the endless pointless messages, telling me that I'm dreaming... helpful.

It's not called Scumtree for nought my friend.  For every genuine add placed by a genuine seller there is a plethora of chancers, wankers, dreamers, deadshits & scammers............

Having said that I have bought great gear & sold good gear through Scumtree & been satisfied with both.  As you say it is an experience that must be weathered.........

2 minutes ago, Jason E said:

It's not called Scumtree for nought my friend.  For every genuine add placed by a genuine seller there is a plethora of chancers, wankers, dreamers, deadshits & scammers............

Having said that I have bought great gear & sold good gear through Scumtree & been satisfied with both.  As you say it is an experience that must be weathered.........

All very true Jason! I have all but given up on scumtree due to the mostly morons on there....

I've bought and sold some pretty specific car parts over the years on Gumtree as well as a number of cars. Need to have your bullshit detector on high alert and be prepared to sift through the listings to find the diamonds in the rough.

On 26/03/2018 at 1:52 PM, AdRock said:

I know VW's well and would know exactly where to look for rust, what to look for in the engine bay, etc... 

Same thing with 911's basically. Rust in sills, pan, under the battery area left front corner, bottom of A and B pillars, parcel shelf etc etc. All that stuff is available to replace, yet the engine and gearbox is what you need to check 100%. If they're knackered, it ain't VW money to fix! 

The hunt is over!! Deposit has been paid! Pick up this weekend!

More details once it's in my hot little hands... but found something that I'm pretty happy with!

I have to send a massive shout out / thank you to @symsy for all the advice along the way!

What everybody has said above is 100% correct - the best cars and deals are not advertised.  ;)

Photos to come soon.

41 minutes ago, AdRock said:

More details once it's in my hot little hands... but found something that I'm pretty happy with!

I have to send a massive shout out / thank you to @symsy for all the advice along the way!

What everybody has said above is 100% correct - the best cars and deals are not advertised.  ;)

Photos to come soon.

Well done and so true about non advertised cars!

1 hour ago, AdRock said:

Photos to come soon.

Enabling complete !!!  Enjoy ! 

On 26/03/2018 at 3:34 PM, Coastr said:

The strength thing might have been a getto fix for a door spring.  Or maybe flexes it to punch the next person who declares it a 'hairdresser car'

That is actually a boys/girls grip trainer.

The man's device goes by the name of Captain's of Crush. quality tools indeed

57 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Hopefully it’s not the car he bought! Or I’ll have to back peddle pronto!

Haha. Definitely not that car!  Unfortunately mine is missing the grip strength accessory. 

1 hour ago, AdRock said:

Haha. Definitely not that car!  Unfortunately mine is missing the grip strength accessory. 

Let us in on it Rocky -- is it an AC? WC?

""I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about finding a nice lobster now!"" Guards red?, Tangerine?:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Let us in on it Rocky -- is it an AC? WC?

""I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about finding a nice lobster now!"" Guards red?, Tangerine?:rolleyes:

Early 80's 911. Guards Red. 
Will reveal all once it's in my garage. :)

On 20/03/2018 at 6:00 PM, OBRUT said:

At that budget, you will be looking at the stuff that most others won’t - targas ( they are awesome trust me), cabs, left to right converted cars and sportos. Maybe even all of the above.   Who cares, drive and have fun and upgrade later on if and when you can. 

Well,... not all of the above.... but 2 out of 4. ;)

34 minutes ago, poetry911 said:

Targa Manual high mileage needs TLC and has aero wing? With Turbo twist rims?

Is that the gunmetal grey one out in the industrial estate north of Melbourne? I did look at one out that way....
Thought I was going to need some OC spray to get out of there alive.

Just now, AdRock said:

Is that the gunmetal grey one out in the industrial estate north of Melbourne? I did look at one out that way....
Thought I was going to need some OC spray to get out of there alive.

Haha no I was getting onboard the guessing game for what you bought :) We are always eager bunnies here. 

2 minutes ago, poetry911 said:

Haha no I was getting onboard the guessing game for what you bought :) We are always eager bunnies here. 

Haha... Ok... Well... does have a spoiler.

No turbo twists - but does have Fuchs.

Archived