Alternative ways to find my first Porsche

Hi team,

I'm a fairly new member here and have only posted a couple of times so far - so hopefully this is the best location for my question. Apologies to the mod's if not.

After a recent trip to Japan driving my dream car around Mount Fuji and surrounds (Porsche 911 Turbo 964) I came home and decided I finally wanted to try and purchase my first Aircooled Porsche.

My problem is that my budget isn't huge and in terms of 911's it's right at the bottom of the scale - it's pretty much $45k. To spend this much, it would involve selling off my current 2 vintage cars and even then, chipping in some additional funds.

I know at this price point - it's going to be challenging finding something decent - but reading around on this forum and keeping an eye on what has been happening on the various mainstream car websites, I am hopeful that something might show up.  

I have seen some Aircooled Porsches pop up on car sales recently and then are marked as sold in a matter of hours. Same on gumtree. So, I know they are out there.

I put a wanted ad on a Facebook group and have been offered a few cars privately which aren't currently on the market. Unfortunately however,  they haven't been quite was I was looking for, eg full blown projects or cars with some questionable history.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a 70's / early 80's Targa.  From reading the posts on this forum I was surprised to learn that Targa's are a less desirable model. Which is funny, because they have always been my favourite! However, from what I can tell they are becoming more sought after. I'm happy to do some work on a car, I can do anything mechanical, including rebuild an engine (have done on my VW's) however, I'd prefer to not have to rebuild a Porsche engine. But mechanical work is ok for a potential candidate.   I can do a bit of welding, so am not scared of a LITTLE bit of rust. I'm also Ok with a little bit of paint / body work, but would prefer something I could enjoy immediately and work towards fixing up as I go.  I would prefer not to get into the VW state of mind where I'm working on the car more than I am driving it and enjoying it.

I'm after some suggestions of other places I can look than the mainstream websites, eg. Car Sales, Gumtree, eBay, etc.  Obviously everybody is across those and there's not a great deal popping up on there.  It seems the hidden market is the most likely place I would find something within my price range.  I've even thought about driving through country towns and placing wanted ads up on community noticeboards in the hope that someone had one stashed away in their shed that they wanted to sell.

Would love to hear about the offbeat places where people have come across their beloved Porsche!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be the asshole who is blunt, and tell you, your budget isn't there to be picky for Air-cooled, you are absolutely going to need more than that to get a good car with good provenance, however I don't think too much more... @OBRUT was recently hunting I.B. cab/targas and can probably share you some stories in getting his one. 

Realistically the best way to have your finger on the pulse is to be active in the community! i.e. get to meetings & social events, build some relationships/friendships, and believe me, once they work out you're here for all the right reasons, people will do what they can to help you , including letting you in on a lead! ;)

Don't get me wrong, there are people who (in these circles too) who will want to take advantage of you, but you will work those guys out pretty quick, take your time to find the right car, but make sure you're ready when it comes to the crunch, have that cash ready, and be willing to drop everything and do whatever it takes to get the deal done, fast. That is how you buy good cars well, oh and you almost always buy the owner.  

For me, with that money I'd be locked and loaded to shop for 996.1 Carrera 2 manual... just a thought. 

37 minutes ago, edgy said:

I'll be the asshole who is blunt, and tell you, your budget isn't there to be picky for Air-cooled, you are absolutely going to need more than that to get a good car with good provenance, however I don't think too much more... @OBRUT was recently hunting I.B. cab/targas and can probably share you some stories in getting his one. 

Realistically the best way to have your finger on the pulse is to be active in the community! i.e. get to meetings & social events, build some relationships/friendships, and believe me, once they work out you're here for all the right reasons, people will do what they can to help you , including letting you in on a lead! ;)

Don't get me wrong, there are people who (in these circles too) who will want to take advantage of you, but you will work those guys out pretty quick, take your time to find the right car, but make sure you're ready when it comes to the crunch, have that cash ready, and be willing to drop everything and do whatever it takes to get the deal done, fast. That is how you buy good cars well, oh and you almost always buy the owner.  

For me, with that money I'd be locked and loaded to shop for 996.1 Carrera 2 manual... just a thought. 

Thanks @edgyI completely agree. Don't worry, you're not the only person to suggest the same thing.  I had a wanted ad on gumtree for a while and I had an endless list of people telling me I was dreaming.  :)
From what I've seen so far already - there's definitely no room to be picky with my budget. However, after only a couple of months of actual searching I have probably seen about 8 cars come up within my price range and of those 2 I would have purchased.  Like you said - I need to be really ready to go with the money.  The first one I missed out on because I had to get my finances sorted and by the time I did, it was sold! I had practically booked the plane ticket to get there to check it out. The second one, I stupidly sent a link to a friend to ask for a second opinion and by the time he got back to me it was sold.  So, whilst I'm not being too picky, I also don't want the first car that becomes available, just because it's an Aircooled 911. 

I've learned my lesson and have the cash ready to go for the right car. Also willing to jump on a plane myself and pick it up if it was interstate (I'm in Melbourne).

By 'questionable history' I wasn't so much referring to provenance, it was more that the background / history that I was given on the car wasn't quite adding up and I got the gut feel to steer clear. There were a lot of signs.  ;)

I dont mind the 996 cars... however, I much, much prefer the earlier aircooled cars.  Plus the air-cooled engines is what I know and understand and enjoy working on.

Thanks for the advice!

59 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Dare I suggest? You get to keep your current cars too.

Hehe, I actually dont mind the idea of selling my current cars... I'm happy to consolidate. However a Boxster was never really the 'dream car'.  :P

24 minutes ago, jakroo said:

You just haven't had THAT dream yet.   It will happen.....

Is that the 'watercooled wet-dream'? :D

There are some really nice 944's out there. If I was going to go non-aircooled, I would head down get a 944 for sure.
But for the time being I'm hanging onto the air-cooled dream.

I found my current car by putting an ad on Gumtree a few years ago.  Someone contacted me saying they had logged on to gumtree because they had logged on to see how much they were selling for because they were considering selling their car.  That weekend we drove up to the bush about 3 hours from home to find a car tucked away in a carport where it had been for 10 years. It had developed a knocking in the engine. I purchased it, got it towed home and I rebuilt the engine myself! My first engine rebuild and it's still going strong (touch wood!) So... I know that the dream can happen. :)

10 minutes ago, ANF said:

I have to agree with @edgy for your $45k I would be straight for a 996.1 or possibly even a 987 Cayman?

Although someone on here recently bought I think it was an SC Targa for the $$ you have......

Problem is - I don't just want a Porsche for the sake of having a Porsche. If I did, I'd go buy a 944 this afternoon. 
I actually want an air-cooled version.

I understand that I'm at the very low end of the scale in terms of budget - but I know that a 'decent' car isnt actually out of the question.  If I had $35k then I would say yep... I dont even have a chance - but there are some A/C models out there for close to what I have.
There was the Green Sporto Targa in Brisbane that was recently advertised for $46k - which I would have been more than happy with had I not missed out on it by about a day I reckon.

I get where you are all coming from, but I know they are out there... I just think I need to be patient. I'm in no rush.

I was just hoping for some ideas on where else to look other than mainstream websites.

A friend told me his idea on the car hobby- putting 10k each year towards it. (He has done so rebuilding a car over many years now) Never though of it like that.

I bought and sold my way up, moreso because i would get a project and due to cash flow issues sold on with a fire sale. A couple of times couldn't sell a complete car for 1500 and ended up parting it for 8000! Go figure!

What i suggest is to wait. If you think about it, you never buy a car and simply not spend money on it- that would be boring and obviously any maintenance. 

So you have 45k, call it 100 a week for another year you will have 50k. Get sorted, sell anything of no use (i am a minimalist) and you would be surprised what you can come up with. Beg, borrow or steal- well i wouldn't do any of those, but if you really want something go without something else.

Go buy Russ's sporto , and save for manual gearbox if thats your fancy...  He aint sold it .. I  think he last  advertised 45-47k last look 

I have seen that car , driven in the road to cars and coffee etc.. I think if these are cars are worth that dosh.. thats a fair call.

Hes an enthusiast , part of PFA .. tinkered and loved it like most of us do wit the car.. I think you will find he will want to uphold his reputation for being a good guy. 

Green retro targa..

You guys can buy me lunch to celebrate the sale , give each other a hard time and im sure there is a middle ground

2 minutes ago, symsy said:

Go buy Russ's sporto , and save for manual gearbox if thats your fancy...  He aint sold it .. I  think he last  advertised 45-47k last look 

I have seen that car , driven in the road to cars and coffee etc.. I think if these are cars are worth that dosh.. thats a fair call.

Hes an enthusiast , part of PFA .. tinkered and loved it like most of us do wit the car.. I think you will find he will want to uphold his reputation for being a good guy. 

Green retro targa..

You guys can buy me lunch to celebrate the sale , give each other a hard time and im sure there is a middle ground

I would have bought that car in a second. But I already contacted him and it has sold. :(

It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for - but instead of calling him and putting down a deposit or something smart like that - I waited for all my ducks to be lined up and missed out. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, AdRock said:

I was just hoping for some ideas on where else to look other than mainstream websites.

My 928 was not advertised, was from info from a friend (a PFA member). A lot of cars change hands this way, get to know some local car/ Porsche guys and the ones on here.

This is the one I was talking about, similar $$ to what you have and was also not advertised.... http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/12753-looking-to-purchase-a-911-sc-questions/

At that budget, you will be looking at the stuff that most others won’t - targas ( they are awesome trust me), cabs, left to right converted cars and sportos. Maybe even all of the above.   Who cares, drive and have fun and upgrade later on if and when you can. 

If you see a car outside of your budget that has been sitting for a while - go and check it out. The seller may have had no interest and could be ready to deal. However, don’t just sms or email - physically go and see it and take a cash deposit just in case. 

And tell everyone you know that you are looking - you never know where a lead will come from.  

I would say take out a 996 for a drive you won't be disappointed, for the sort of money you are looking at spending you would end up with if you bought an air cooled something that would probably need money spending on it.Good luck with the search.

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

I would say take out a 996 for a drive you won't be disappointed, for the sort of money you are looking at spending you would end up with if you bought an air cooled something that would probably need money spending on it.Good luck with the search.

The heart wants what the heart wants .... nothing else will do ... B)

9 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Try telling the budget that, dollar for dollar at that budget 996 wins for me.

Remember that at 45k you will probably have to spend a ton of $$ on it. 

I looked & looked for my 944 S2 (at the peak of the market) & ended up grabbing the first one I could actually secure (i missed out on about half a dozen - as I was waiting to inspect interstate cars & closer buyers were getting there first).  I bought mine sight unseen with a PFAer giving it a once over for me.

I had to spend lots sorting it out (more than 3 times the purchase price so far).  What's the old saying - "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche".

As long as you're prepared for LOTS of work - the reward is YOU KNOW what's been done & that it's been done correctly.  I'm really happy with mine now (sadly).

Air cooled was my dream too however my budget was the same as yours.  996s/ Caymans & well sorted late model 944s ended up as my only realistic hunting ground. 

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

At that budget, you will be looking at the stuff that most others won’t - targas ( they are awesome trust me), cabs, left to right converted cars and sportos. Maybe even all of the above.   Who cares, drive and have fun and upgrade later on if and when you can. 

I'm completely Ok with Targas, in fact they are my preference. cabs not so much... but would go there.... Left hand drive isn't a problem at all. The only porsche I have driven was LHD and that was an experience on snowy, icy mountain roads! definitely have the hang of it now! Sportos are OK too. I'm really not too fussy!

2 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Gorgeous looking car. They do suggest any serious offer considered...  :) 
Yellow isn't at the top of my list, but as we have already decided - who am I to be picky.... Yellow isn't at the bottom of the list either.  :)

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

:)

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

Remember that at 45k you will probably have to spend a ton of $$ on it. 

I looked & looked for my 944 S2 (at the peak of the market) & ended up grabbing the first one I could actually secure (i missed out on about half a dozen - as I was waiting to inspect interstate cars & closer buyers were getting there first).  I bought mine sight unseen with a PFAer giving it a once over for me.

I had to spend lots sorting it out (more than 3 times the purchase price so far).  What's the old saying - "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche".

As long as you're prepared for LOTS of work - the reward is YOU KNOW what's been done & that it's been done correctly.  I'm really happy with mine now (sadly).

Air cooled was my dream too however my budget was the same as yours.  996s/ Caymans & well sorted late model 944s ended up as my only realistic hunting ground. 

I had exactly the same experience when I bought my Kombi... I paid $8500. It was freshly painted, looked amazing. I was so nervous about driving a kombi, i let the owner drive it during the test drive. It all seemed great, I bought it and then it broke down on the way home! I've probably spent about $20k getting it all correct mechanically and now I'm in the process of doing the body and the paint so I can sell it. But why am I doing the paint, you might ask? Well a year after I got it, the paint job started cracking, flaking away and all the rust showing through. I was sucked in! 
Anyway, i'm not as dumb as I was back then and blinded by 'shiny things'. I have worked on everything mechanical on my cars, except for the transmission. I'm learning to weld very quickly and how to do body work - very slowly.  I'm 100% expecting that any a/c 911 I would buy would require a decent amount of work. This does not scare me. However, hopefully I have learnt enough in my 6 years of vintage car ownership to know what is reasonable and when to walk away. 

You should be able to find a registered LHD Targa for that kind of money.  There are a few around - a lot of sellers won’t advertise the ‘oddballs’ because of the torrent of crap that comes with the listing.  So your approach of feeling out the market is the right way.

its not going to be easy ... take a look at the USAtoAus site where they’ll bring in a car for you.  Most of them land in the 55k+ market but you might find something.

...just looked, ha, this one is in your budget

http://www.usatoaus.com/Information.aspx?id=110823&keyword=Porsche&description=false&minprice=&price=&cid=0&sidx=0&eidx=8

Archived