F1 2018

LeeM

1 hour ago, Raven said:

must say I am not a fan of the shower curtain rail they have added to this years cars ............looks silly 

racefansdotnet-20180323-064450-28.jpg

racefansdotnet-20180323-064458-25.jpg

I've followed F1 for decades and I don't think the halo looks that bad. Prefer to get off the media bandwagon for this one........F1 has more important things to worry about and that's the racing.....Take a roll cage for example there not pretty by any means though they serve a purpose. Same deal here. If it could of saved Jules Bianchi's life in Japan than all the better and by simulation tests it would of, not to also mention it would of saved Henry Surtees as well. 

All the teams had there smartest engineers over the last 2 to 3 years to develop a safety device and this is the end result for now......we'll get used to it.

The only reason the media have been bashing the halo is because of the public, team and driver backlash. Sure, it would have saved the lives of the drivers you mention and probably a LOAD more drivers in F1(Senna, Ratzenberger etc), yet why hasn't it been implemented in IndyCar, F2, F3, Formula Ford, Karting and any other open wheeler sport if the officials are so concerned about the lives of the world's drivers?  That's motorsport, and they all know and accept the risks of being killed whilst driving, as it is a dangerous sport after all

I'm now waiting for the day when I see some ricer in a civic with a halo looking thing up the middle of the windscreen and across the top of the roof.

Its ugly yes but it's surprising how quick people will get used to it.  I'm sure they can improve the design over time.   Everything since Sennas MP4 Mclaren has been ugly really.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

The only reason the media have been bashing the halo is because of the public, team and driver backlash. Sure, it would have saved the lives of the drivers you mention and probably a LOAD more drivers in F1(Senna, Ratzenberger etc), yet why hasn't it been implemented in IndyCar, F2, F3, Formula Ford, Karting and any other open wheeler sport if the officials are so concerned about the lives of the world's drivers?  That's motorsport, and they all know and accept the risks of being killed whilst driving, as it is a dangerous sport after all

Simple answer Lee, it's full titanium and costs a small fortune, most categories can't afford the research and development. It will flow into the other categories very soon enough.

1 hour ago, GregAx said:

I've followed F1 for decades and I don't think the halo looks that bad. Prefer to get off the media bandwagon for this one........F1 has more important things to worry about and that's the racing.....Take a roll cage for example there not pretty by any means though they serve a purpose. Same deal here. If it could of saved Jules Bianchi's life in Japan than all the better and by simulation tests it would of, not to also mention it would of saved Henry Surtees as well. 

All the teams had there smartest engineers over the last 2 to 3 years to develop a safety device and this is the end result for now......we'll get used to it.

I understand the reasons for it and agree it most likely would have save Jules Bianchi's .............I just think it looks silly ,,,,,I am sure in time I will get used to it ,like all dramatic changes to things I tend to dislike them first off...

I wanted to write something nice and positive.......

It's nice how the teams are all co-ordinated in uniform. Little red pants and shoes, even matching belts! Hardcore. 

I'm telling you, bent screens and middle dividers are going to be a thing in a few years.  Don't believe me?  At one point road cars didn't have wings or stripes or ground effects or mid engines either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2018 at 4:07 PM, Redracn said:

To have a wide vertical beam in front of the drivers vision in this day and age is just plain loopy. But then again this is F1 where loopy rules are the norm. 

It’s in the middle because generally the driver is always looking towards the next turn, or up the straight he’s checking his mirrors. 

Plus, stick a finger a foot in front of you head Dead centre and look at something in the distance, it’s see through because your left eye sees left and your right eye sees right.

Have it to the sides and you block cornering vision, and you will end up with a blind spot. 

I don’t think it looks amazing but it’s not horrible either. 

F1 developed it. I bet next year you’ll see it in indi carts. 

Go karts don’t need it, it’s to stop a stray wheel or debris hitting the driver. Go karts don’t decintegrate on impact. 

24 minutes ago, reddahaydn said:

It’s in the middle because generally the driver is always looking towards the next turn, or up the straight he’s checking his mirrors. 

Plus, stick a finger a foot in front of you head Dead centre and look at something in the distance, it’s see through because your left eye sees left and your right eye sees right.

Have it to the sides and you block cornering vision, and you will end up with a blind spot. 

I don’t think it looks amazing but it’s not horrible either. 

F1 developed it. I bet next year you’ll see it in indi carts. 

Go karts don’t need it, it’s to stop a stray wheel or debris hitting the driver. Go karts don’t decintegrate on impact. 

Are you sure they can keep their heads vertical?

They are only effective against some large debris like entire cars and wheels. Lots of the smaller long and thin stuff can and will get past it. Over the top reaction to what was essentially a non problem. Seems they have an entire department to keep employed and they were short on good ideas for this season. 

This is racing and some risk at this level should be acceptable and remain acceptable until F1 is nothing more than a high tec video game with the players wrapped in cotton wool and a medic on standby incase they get a blister from the controller or their egos damaged. 

Yep the sheeples are will follow. F1 put the dash on the steering wheel due to no space when knees up extraction was introduced. There were lots of followers including touring cars. Racing is full of so and so did it so it must work/be better without thinking it through themselves. 

2 hours ago, reddahaydn said:

Some spy pics of some recent uber secret testing of the new safety regulations to be implemented for 2034. Also, the new Tesla power plant was tested for 4 autonomous laps (not pictured), yet testing was cut short due to the engineers forgetting to bring a charger

20180405_214056.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seems the halo did the trick in F2 last week. Watched the race but at the time there was no good replay until now. Seems everyone is starting to change their minds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, GregAx said:

Seems the halo did the trick in F2 last week. Watched the race but at the time there was no good replay until now. Seems everyone is starting to change their minds.

I think the halos don't detract one bit from the cars, already so many bits n pieces hanging off them all over, and if its a no brainer safety measure for the head well it's a no brainer in my book

Congrats to Danny Ric for Monaco! Couldn't fit his smile on the screen.... and Will Power wins Indy 500 - has there ever been a cooler name ....

Archived