3.0 SC engine build suggestions

Cheshire Cat

I’m told that from where I am, to get near 300 crank hp would require bigger cams and head work. Remember that’s from a 3.2 and how close to 300 is a guess until it goes on the dyno. I’ll do it, but not now as I’m still digesting the bill for getting this far. My car is plenty fast. Does good skids. Has a wall of torque but runs out of breath at the top end. Everything. Everything must be working in your favour to get 100hp/litre and possibly it won’t be as nice as a car with less power that is more tractable.

Good luck George.

14 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

I’m told that from where I am, to get near 300 crank hp would require bigger cams and head work. Remember that’s from a 3.2 and how close to 300 is a guess until it goes on the dyno. I’ll do it, but not now as I’m still digesting the bill for getting this far. My car is plenty fast. Does good skids. Has a wall of torque but runs out of breath at the top end. Everything. Everything must be working in your favour to get 100hp/litre and possibly it won’t be as nice as a car with less power that is more tractable.

Good luck George.

Yeah exactly what I thought. Your numbers are really desirable for me, to be honest I'd be pretty happy with them. Especially with the torque figures. To make more powerful you need rpms and it's neither easy nor cheap. 

Thanx Nick, I will need it for sure. 

So far it's unclear with a couple questions like who is able to perform twin plug machining or to bore the cylinders. I need names and not just yellopages. :)

25 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Yeah exactly what I thought. Your numbers are really desirable for me, to be honest I'd be pretty happy with them. Especially with the torque figures. To make more powerful you need rpms and it's neither easy nor cheap. 

Thanx Nick, I will need it for sure. 

So far it's unclear with a couple questions like who is able to perform twin plug machining or to bore the cylinders. I need names and not just yellopages. :)

Tony knight engines (recommended for porting as well but may be a wait), mark at dhm maybe, I'd ask people like jhh racing also. 

There are plenty of others I'd say!

43 minutes ago, MFX said:

While you have the heads off, machining them for twin plugs is not that hard. even if you don't do the rest for a while, you can just put dummy plugs in them until you are ready for the rest.

The rest is just another set of COPs, spark plugs and wiring. Simple as

24 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

Tony knight engines (recommended for porting as well but may be a wait), mark at dhm maybe, I'd ask people like jhh racing also. 

There are plenty of others I'd say!

Now we're talking business:) thank you

On 5/26/2018 at 10:15 PM, Coastr said:

i do find it funny that some of us drop 20k on an engine with pretty modest power outputs in the scheme of things. 

If I wanted horsepower, and I've been down that road several times before, I'd be building a killer Chevy small block for half that, and putting it into a Commondoor.  Cheap as chips.  My measly 204 HP is enough to satisfy my Porsche fix.

27 minutes ago, Stew F said:

If I wanted horsepower, and I've been down that road several times before, I'd be building a killer Chevy small block for half that, and putting it into a Commondoor.  Cheap as chips.  My measly 204 HP is enough to satisfy my Porsche fix.

Wonder how a Cayman would go with a small block ?

2 hours ago, Stew F said:

that is very much plan D

2 hours ago, FL7 said:

Would the chev small block last another 300,000 kms b4 another rebuild? I wouldn't think so. German engineering and quality hands down.

so, broken head studs on <100000 km`s or oil leaks from number of places it`s that german engineering?:)

Back to the topic. I'm getting a bit closer with this build and I'd have some more info. 

Seems like I'm gonna use my 3.0 cyl with 10.1 pistons etc, so, what should I do with the cams, heads (apart from twin plug)? What would you do gents?

Here are General HP improvements for 3.0L which a few of engine experts go for. 

High Comp Piston and Rings - Say Comp to 10.1 (+20% HP) - 30-40HP

No need to Change Cam unless you want to go to PMO's. Using existing Fuel injection OK - If PMO's and Cam this will add another around 30-40HP. $6-$7k+ labour.

SSI's and High Output and flow exhaust (Peter Starr does the best around) - 10-20% extra HPP. Say 30HP. Will sound awesome and no drone like a Monty.

If using an Oz Engine - Base is 185-190HP. Above will get you to around 250HP.

Twin point distributor maybe another 10HP or more. Not sure of cost.

If I wanted around 250HP for minimal cost I would go for High Comp Piston/Rings, SSI and Exhaust - Say $7-$10k plus labour - Best bang for buck for sure. At least it will be easy to drive and not too wild.

4 hours ago, FL7 said:

No need to Change Cam unless you want to go to PMO's.

he has ITB's so i would go for a mildly sportier cam to utilise them a bit- especially if the head has to be refreshed anyway. the ECU will keep it better behaved than the CIS would with the stock came, most likely. 

with the ECU and maybe twin plug i agree the high comp pistons are a must, so easy to keep safe with modern management.

8 hours ago, FL7 said:

If I wanted around 250HP for minimal cost I would go for High Comp Piston/Rings, SSI and Exhaust - Say $7-$10k plus labour - Best bang for buck for sure. At least it will be easy to drive and not too wild.

I will gladly bet a carton of your favourite beer that those modifications alone won't get you that sort of Hp on an otherwise standard SC engine. Certainly agree that it will be easy to drive and not too wild though!?

I recall Pork's recently built and not inexpensive 3.2SS with ITB'ed, 10.5:1, DC43-102 cam, headers and sport muffler made 221RWHP.  With Carrillo rods and stronger valve springs he is probably safe to 7,500rpm too.

I recall Al posted about a 3.0 with ITB's, E cams, 9.8:1, headers and sport muffler that made 220RWHP.

If you are expecting more than 220RWHP from a streetable 3.0 I think you'll be disappointed or very broke!  However I'd expect even 220 would be plenty fun in one of these cars.

Less than $10k is pretty cheap to get 20-30% added HP. without too much internal work. I just got a decent exhaust for my 996 and I reckon have got 10-15% added HP not alot of $. Sounds better than my GT3 and nearly as much fun. Good luck on engine rebuild.  

1 minute ago, FL7 said:

Less than $10k is pretty cheap to get 20-30% added HP. without too much internal work. I just got a decent exhaust for my 996 and I reckon have got 10-15% added HP not alot of $. Sounds better than my GT3 and nearly as much fun. Good luck on engine rebuild.  

If you can get 20-30% extra hp out of these aircooled engines for under $10k, I think you would have a lot of takers, me included! I am not sure where your estimates are from, but they don't match with any figures I have seen. Happy to be proven wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, Peter M said:

I recall Al posted about a 3.0 with ITB's, E cams, 9.8:1, headers and sport muffler that made 220RWHP.

If you are expecting more than 220RWHP from a streetable 3.0 I think you'll be disappointed or very broke!  However I'd expect even 220 would be plenty fun in one of these cars.

yep just to update this for a ballpark- my old girl in for a health check;

3.6L stock internals, stock intake, 964 cup cam (for mid range), fabspeed exhaust, steve wong chip. 240rwhp

XjPe7rm.jpg

a 3.0L obviously has to work harder to get there, would need a bit of work all over.

• 4 years later...