I bought a Porsche for my genuine accessory; and not the other way around

Inspired by @JWM 's "long distance relationship" thread, it's time for me to share my similar experience last month.

Long story short - I'm now a Boxster owner... again!

Long story - Earlier this year I made a (late night) purchase of a Genuine Porsche Roof Transport System (RTS) for a 986 Boxster. These are super rare and I've never seen one for sale in Australia before so why not? Only problem was I didn't own a Boxster to put it on... So I started looking at cheap Boxsters, but stumbled onto what had been described as a flawless OG 2.5L Manual in silver with black interior down in Melbourne. Bad ad, bad photos, but only 12,700km... and full service with Porsche Centre Melbourne. I put a (low) offer in which the owner politely declined and then I forgot about it. Fast forward a few weeks and he contacts me on a Friday afternoon saying he needs to move it on and a rather good deal was done. I ran to the bank just before closing, grabbed a bank cheque and booked the first flight in the morning to Melbourne. By 8:15am the next morning I was rather apprehensively knocking on the owners door ready to drive away in a mint Boxster, or book a flight straight back home (I've had mixed results buying cars sight unseen so this one could have gone either way). Fortunately, he rolls it out of the garage... and it's absolutely perfect!

Needing to be back in Sydney by 6pm for a dinner date, I go straight to the closest 7-eleven for a servo service; check oil colour and level, coolant, water, tyre pressures (it's still running the original Conti's which are now 21 years old 😬, they look good with plenty of tread and no cracking but who knows what the rubber is like internally...) feed and water myself and I'm on the freeway to Sydney by 9am. A couple of quick stops, nine hours and two years worth of km later I pull into Sydney with ODO showing 13,600km. The day was super hot and fortunately the A/C was ice cold and the car did not skip a beat. I'm sure with a new set of tyres the ride quality will improve somewhat but even on the 21 year old ones it was great. These things must be one of the best bang for buck cars out there right now! Having never driven a 2.5L before I was actually surprised at how sprightly it was.

Back in Sydney I clean off all the bugs and @OBRUT and I give it a look over struggling to find even one mark on the paint or interior. So now it's just passed it's rego inspection and I need to fit the RTS and some new tyres. I have no idea how long I'll keep it, but I will enjoy it together with the other cars for a while, and maybe stick it in the PCNSW Concours later this year for a bit of a laugh!

IMG_7868_zpsfembq5es.jpg

IMG_7864_zpsvvd30cpt.jpg

IMG_7869_zps0kcoucmd.jpg

IMG_7870_zps4udiyocw.jpg

IMG_7873_zps2enbzsgz.jpg

IMG_7877_zpspvvr4vrt.jpg

IMG_7964_zpsavkzwoen.jpg

IMG_7969_zpsfqmu1vdw.jpg

IMG_7970_zpsf62xqkts.jpg

IMG_7971_zpsquusq0vq.jpg

IMG_7973_zpshndezrod.jpg

IMG_7978_zps6zdtkdqv.jpg

IMG_7979_zpskhextghj.jpg

IMG_7980_zpsshd9woj0.jpg

Well done. She is in mint condition. They are great fun to drive and you're right they go a lot harder than most people think.

Now if I can just get mine out of the garage😀

31 minutes ago, 3legs said:

They are great fun to drive and you're right they go a lot harder than most people think

When they're not dumping coolant 😁 

(Sorry mate...couldn't resist)

Well done, what a little ripper. I did the same with a very low mileage 996 around the same vintage a few years back, such a great feeling. Might not be a bad idea to check the plastics especially cooling and heating, low mileage cars can have a tendency to become a little brittle due to little use... and please don’t change the amber lights, so classic 👍

8 minutes ago, 3legs said:

You're a harsh man Lee, true but harsh😋

Nah the "other" project is in the way of both Porsches 😁

That's how I roll mate 😉

I'm sure the other project will come up great 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

When they're not dumping coolant 😁 

(Sorry mate...couldn't resist)

Know what you are talking about Lee.

Picked up my sight unseen 986S from CEVA car carriers rather nervously, drove it to car rego office.

Phew, all legal- its mine now, bolting the new SA number plates on(the man behind the counter asks what model my Porsche is. He rummages around for a while and presents me with 986 plates) A public servant who enjoys his work!!!

I go to drive off and notice a puddle under where the car was parked!!! Open up the "boot"-  check coolant level- nothing visible between high and low mark. @#$%&!!!

What was I expecting without a PPI, idiot!!, Drive to nearest servo carefully while monitoring temp. Pull up at servo, check coolant level, still nothing visible.

After a while, remove lid gingerly and happy to see it full of coolant to the top. It hasn't used a drop since, so all in my head.

Emotional roller coasters, I'm over them.

29 minutes ago, Tips said:

Awesome story and having seen the car it’s a cracker , well done. Just a tad disappointed there is no photo of the RTS....

As soon as I have time to work my way through the instructions and the millions of fixings I'll get it on. There will be photos, many photos 😀 

@Rob H

I was just giving Alex ( @3legs  ) shit for when he came out on a run with us that lasted about 7 corners before his Boxster decided to urinate :D

My SC died on the way home from Ceva with an electrical problem, so I know the feeling well mate

Cracking write up! I saw that one on Carsales but like you said the pictures were terrible, looks ten times better in the ones you've taken... What a find!!

We'll have to get a photo of them together one day. Maybe I need to find some amber lights first...

I admit to being an enabler in this transaction. I answered a firm Yes to the question regarding accessory purchase before car purchase. 

This thing is beyond mint, it’s basically brand new.

I humbly offer my garage for RTS install.

On 09/04/2019 at 19:00, Tintin Audio said:

Well done, what a little ripper. I did the same with a very low mileage 996 around the same vintage a few years back, such a great feeling. Might not be a bad idea to check the plastics especially cooling and heating, low mileage cars can have a tendency to become a little brittle due to little use... and please don’t change the amber lights, so classic 👍

Absolutely, the ambers are definitely staying! Will have Autohaus give it a once over and check all the hoses, bushings etc when I have it serviced.

Archived