Sign in to follow this  
scb

Service history vs Porsche approved

Hi All, hoping to get some advice from the community, I'm still progressing towards owning my first Porsche. 😃

Over the previous couple of months I've seen a number of cars with periods of say a few (or more) years without a service when the car did very low kilometers over the period.  Now being new to buying this type of vehicle I looked at that as a major negative and moved on.  Now I'm looking at a Porsche Approved car being sold be an official dealer and i notice the car has these same types of "holes" in the service history (again with very low ks during the period), although the dealer assures me it's not an issue now as they've done a major service to bring the car up to scratch and it is now Porsche Approved with Porsche warranty etc.

How is this type of car likely to be viewed at resale time, does the Porsche Approved status cancel out the previous holes in the eyes of the community?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you can provide.

It really depends on how big the "holes" are and who did the servicing between the gaps....

And I'm sure the dealer says its not an issue , but I bet he dropped his trade in price to the previous owner because of the missing stamps - after all, he just wants a sale and your money!!

When it’s a Sunday car, at best, I’ve seen and heard of the basis of kms travelled rather the June yearly. I’ve never been in that situation personally, where I’ve bought new or close to, and not driven the car barely a couple of hundred kms in a year. 

Does fuel go bad? Do spark plugs die? Does oil break down? Would pay to have a major service done prior to purchase, but yes I dare say the log book will tell the story moving forward, and may reflect on a lower price. 

I guess size it up on age of car and it’s kms. 

Every car has a story, try your best to find out. Was the owner in a club or on a forum etc.

Sometimes owners have several cars, put them in storage to work overseas etc. 

Ideally buy it from the owner, a lot of weight should be based on the owner, your trust level with them and the story.

Good luck

I've noticed it's a very common occurrence for these cars to have missed time based services due to their lack of use.  It appears after the initial excitement has worn off they often get less and less use and spend more and more time in the garage.  Throw in some flat batteries and they see even less use occurring.   This also often results is other minor jobs being ignored as well.  Be aware that the cost of putting right this deferred maintenance can be considerable so suggest you check everything works how it should.

How much does missing time based servicing effects resale?  I don't think there is an simple answer as it depends on so many other things as ultimately I think it comes to giving confidence to potential buyers that it has been looked after.  If the car is pristine in all other aspects and the right price, grab it!  If the owner's tardiness is reflected in other ways and the price isn't that keen, keep looking.

Also consider how long you intend to keep it as that may change your thinking too.

Good luck and take your time.

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.  The gaps aren't so much an issue for me personally, i'm happy with how the car feels etc, my concern is more around resale value.  The car's only done 15,000 kilometers all up over 8 years, and by gaps I mean a period of like 3 or 4 years covering a few thousand kilometers.

I understand it's not ideal as i would have loved to see yearly stamps, but does a few years basically sitting idle really hurt a Porsche that much?

The dealer has just done a major service on the car.

Do i run for the hills?

Thanks Peter, I missed reading your post before sending mine.  The car is in very nice condition excepting the logbook, best i have seen for it's age by a decent margin.

It doesn’t sound like a problem to me. I’m also a believer of enjoying your car and not worrying about the next bloke and Possible re sale price down the road. Each to their own.

29 minutes ago, scb said:

Do i run for the hills?...…..The car is in very nice condition excepting the logbook, best i have seen for it's age by a decent margin.

Nah, keep doing your due diligence as you are obviously smitten!

I'd suggest you download the full service schedule for that model and check off to make sure everything is up to date.  For example, has the brake fluid been changed as part of the major service?  Are the tyres more than 6 years old?

Also suggest you find a trusted "sensible adult" not emotionally involved to give you fearless advice.  If you can't find one, maybe an independent PPI may be worth the cost.

Also don't over think it either! 😁 

I would also consider that the car is Porsche approved and has a warranty with them. I figure if they are are backing the car, then that is a good sign. I hope that it works out however if this one doesn't there will be another.

4 hours ago, scb said:

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.  The gaps aren't so much an issue for me personally, i'm happy with how the car feels etc, my concern is more around resale value.  The car's only done 15,000 kilometers all up over 8 years, and by gaps I mean a period of like 3 or 4 years covering a few thousand kilometers.

I understand it's not ideal as i would have loved to see yearly stamps, but does a few years basically sitting idle really hurt a Porsche that much?

The dealer has just done a major service on the car.

Do i run for the hills?

Thanks Peter, I missed reading your post before sending mine.  The car is in very nice condition excepting the logbook, best i have seen for it's age by a decent margin.

15k over 8 years! I would buy it in a heart beat. Think what a dealer actually does when a car is serviced. 1) change the oil, 2) check the  brakes, 3) check water levels etc. if you owned it and only did a K or two that year and there was no oil or water on the floor why would you service it

I really wouldn't be so distracted by the long periods between services. Just buy the car on what it is, if its priced well, all things considered.

I am with everyone else on this, that is super low km's, so I can't see the problem, the things that are typically done on time basis are usually rubber if you want to lump it into one category, belts, hoses, tyres etc can perish with time, and if you check the owner manuals, they usually stipulate tyres to be replaced on time basis too (4-6 years depending on the model) so check the date codes on those, the belts and hoses will usually just be a visual inspection item, whilst I do not agree with it, these modern ones are usually "filled for life" with regards to the coolant... its absurd I know, but they almost want you to wait till there is a problem.

The fact is after the 8 years and service history etc if they will still offer it as a Porsche CPO car (that should come with a manufacturer warranty) this will reflect well long term, and the warranty should cover any potential items that could cause issues from lack of use (i.e. the rear main seal can leak when they are not run often)

Good luck and let us know how it gets on for you 

Another tip is to try and track down previous owners. I did for a vehicle I was looking at recently and the guy was happy to talk about his usage patterns and why he sold it. 

The original owners details should be in the books. Might need to do a bit of searching to find them.