Nice weekend's work

Merv

It IS matching numbers but not a 90, they now say.  A huge amount of work for someone.  Adam Wright suggests it is fair value for a RHD car. 😮Not sure I would even think about it.

27 minutes ago, Merv said:

It IS matching numbers but not a 90, they now say.  A huge amount of work for someone.  Adam Wright suggests it is fair value for a RHD car. 😮Not sure I would even think about it.

No gearbox & many years of sitting in a carport near the water - so maybe that $$ estimate isnt too far off??

This could probably be exported back to UK for a fare old profit, without doing anything. This is like the starting point for many cars that get restored in UK - not so much here. 

7 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

No gearbox & many years of sitting in a carport near the water - so maybe that $$ estimate isnt too far off??

This could probably be exported back to UK for a fare old profit, without doing anything. This is like the starting point for many cars that get restored in UK - not so much here. 

I hadnt read the gearbox was missing. 

That would kill a bit of value. Saying that, a very knowledgeable 356 owner I was talking with on the weekend said many cars aren't matching numbers, so it's not that unusual to see engines and gearboxes swapped 'back in the day'. 

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:53, Troubleshooter said:

I can see the value in this as a long term hold … I would not even wash it, just open the wallet for $30 or $40k to fly out and make it a good reliable goer mechanically, touch Fuch all else and have the coolest heap of shit around!

Surely you would  lighten the wallet a little more than that and show off the the patina by investing in some clear coat. 

12 hours ago, Airhead said:

12-15K for a gearbox. Chuck another 100-150K to pay someone to do all the work and you've got a 200K 1960B 1600 normal.

Hmm. Might be a LOOONNNG term investment.

After my 30 or 40k that's where the value ends for me for the moment ..... not everyone wants the long haul and pain of full resto to lose $$$$$$ or polishing cars endlessly

11 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Surely you would  lighten the wallet a little more than that and show off the the patina by investing in some clear coat. 

Clear coat doesn't stick to dirt n dust:cool07: 

9 minutes ago, Merv said:There is no gearbox/transaxle.

The owner of this T5 tells me it was in similar condition when he got it.  Now it is superb.  He is a machinist and decent welder however. 

Thanks Merv, the last one I saw (in photos) in similar condition, maybe worse, the stands supported the body to stop it bending and snapping apart because it was so rusty. 

Looks like some of the rear suspension has been removed as well.