Speed Yellow 996.2 GT3

PIC

Great video. I remember watching it back when the car was launched.  One bit of information stood out.  Everything about the 996 GT3 was a significant improvement over the 993 Carrera RS.

Yes, the 993 was the last hurrah of an outdated engine technology and the “traditional” body silhouette but on any objective view, both the 996.1 and 996.2 are superior on all fronts.

I have the promo brochure that Porsche put out when the .1 was released and it has whole sections comparing the 993 RS with the GT3.  There may be a couple of exceptions but on all key measures the GT3 was (and in my view is) the better car.  By a mile.  

Don’t get me wrong, the RS is a great thing.  It’s just that the 996 GT3 is a whole better.  The thinking persons choice and given what people are asking for RS’s, quite simply the smartest buy around if you’re in a position to have it on your list of options for a Porsche.  

Also, “rarity” is not a strong counter argument.  The fountain of all truth (Google) tells me that 1104 993 RS’s were made.   996.1 = 1868.  996.2 = 2589.  Still extremely low volume.  Also, I think that of the 996.1 GT3 something around 300 were RHD, we’re getting into seriously low numbers.  I accept that these numbers may be open to conjecture but my point is that the 993 is rare but so is the 996 GT3.

The current market price of these presents an opportunity to own a car that you can drive when you want without guilt (But really, why feel guilty about driving even the rarest?  My experience is that if you leave Porsches sit they need more work and maintenance than if you drive them - perhaps I’m ”rationalising”!). 

They’re good buying but more than that, a great drive.   

So,  @PIC i think you’ve done very well.

8 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Great video. I remember watching it back when the car was launched.  One bit of information stood out.  Everything about the 996 GT3 was a significant improvement over the 993 Carrera RS.

Yes, the 993 was the last hurrah of an outdated engine technology and the “traditional” body silhouette but on any objective view, both the 996.1 and 996.2 are superior on all fronts.

I have the promo brochure that Porsche put out when the .1 was released and it has whole sections comparing the 993 RS with the GT3.  There may be a couple of exceptions but on all key measures the GT3 was (and in my view is) the better car.  By a mile.  

Don’t get me wrong, the RS is a great thing.  It’s just that the 996 GT3 is a whole better.  The thinking persons choice and given what people are asking for RS’s, quite simply the smartest buy around if you’re in a position to have it on your list of options for a Porsche.  

Also, “rarity” is not a strong counter argument.  The fountain of all truth (Google) tells me that 1104 993 RS’s were made.   996.1 = 1868.  996.2 = 2589.  Still extremely low volume.  Also, I think that of the 996.1 GT3 something around 300 were RHD, we’re getting into seriously low numbers.  I accept that these numbers may be open to conjecture but my point is that the 993 is rare but so is the 996 GT3.

The current market price of these presents an opportunity to own a car that you can drive when you want without guilt (But really, why feel guilty about driving even the rarest?  My experience is that if you leave Porsches sit they need more work and maintenance than if you drive them - perhaps I’m ”rationalising”!). 

They’re good buying but more than that, a great drive.   

So,  @PIC i think you’ve done very well.

A while back when I was wondering which GT car to track, you said 991 GT3. I went against the grain and jumped back into an RX7 which Is great fun.  But I miss the weekend drives.

I assume the same logic as above prevails, just as a 996 is better than a 993 (aside from the AC emotional hook), a 991 is “better” than a 996 in every measurable way?  I’ve driven a 991 GT3 at Spa and next year will do it again.  It was head and shoulders above and faster than my old 996 GT2 and was much more lively and less sterile than I expected.

i reckon I will again be looking for a track pig 991 road reg cup car wannabe for cheap $.

5 hours ago, DJM said:

A while back when I was wondering which GT car to track, you said 991 GT3. I went against the grain and jumped back into an RX7 which Is great fun.  But I miss the weekend drives.

I assume the same logic as above prevails, just as a 996 is better than a 993 (aside from the AC emotional hook), a 991 is “better” than a 996 in every measurable way?  I’ve driven a 991 GT3 at Spa and next year will do it again.  It was head and shoulders above and faster than my old 996 GT2 and was much more lively and less sterile than I expected.

i reckon I will again be looking for a track pig 991 road reg cup car wannabe for cheap $.

The 991 GT3 is a more sophisticated car than a 996 GT3 or 997 GT3 in a similar way to a 993RS or 964RS are a more sophisticated car to the 73RS. 

Just depends on what type of driving experience you are chasing or if you are just wanting to chase lap times. 996/997 are a great sweet spot and in the right hands no doubt keep a 991GT3 honest, just like a 73 can still keep up with the best of them (again in the right hands).

Both offer a great driving experience but I’ll admit I’d take a 73 over a 993RS just cause I’m a sucker for the drive. Same rational applies to my view on the water cooled side of the divide. 

15 hours ago, DJM said:

Definitely 991 GT3 is better than those that went before it.  Would be great track car.  I took the .1 RS I had out for blat at the Island.  Crazy good on road tyres and set up.

In reality, I cant think of any new generation of car that Porsche has released that wasn’t a vast improvement on the model it replaced.  

Even the hand wringers who thought the world would end at 993 are probably eyeing of the new “classic” (996 - what a purity of shape, still demure, clean lines and that forward thinking  interior treatment I hear them murmur) as a good thing.

Anyway @PIC how are you enjoying the yellow peril?

996.1 GT3-308 RHD cars,  1858 worldwide.

It  was never released to the American market, due to of all things, too low a ride height!!! Hence the lower number of the MK1.

I have a print out of the Australian delivery figures....see attached pdf

The interesting thing is-996.1 only 13 Touring vs 77 Clubsport, which makes the touring a much rarer car in Australia, with Arctic Silver and Speed Yellow being the most popular.

I guess most were bought to track, rather than commute!

They are being held onto in increasing numbers and in my perusal of Autotrader UK, which I consult monthly, there have been occasions where NONE are listed for sale in the UK.

Presently, there are  around 5940 Porsche's for sale in the UK, with 2 Mk1's for sale and 6 MK2's.

Every new generation produces a better/faster car and the MK2 is undoubtedly a better car than the MK1. Better suspension, better brakes, more power etc..etc... Porsche's mantra is constant evolution and its easy to quantify that with numbers...power...lap times... 1/4 mile etc...

But how do you quantify feel and connection to car? This is purely subjective and is like asking- 'Whats your favourite colour...and why??' 

I have had 7 Porsche's now- 77SC targa,  2 X 944's, a Boxster,  964 carrera 4 cab, 996 Turbo and lastly the 996 GT3.1. I have also driven a couple of 991's- Carrera and GTS ( in Germany) Each have their strengths and weakness', but the one that makes me feel the best, the one that gives me a sense of achievement every time I nail a corner and get it just right......is that old GT3. And, if I screw the corner up, it lets me know about it.....even if it is in a very forgiving way for a 911.

This is a cheesy and slightly inappropriate analogy, but here goes-

Its kind of like the 'Hot IT' girl from high school. Everyone wanted to date her, but only the coolest and wealthiest guys did. Then you bump into her a few years later, your more of a man now, so you get up the courage to ask her out. Shes says yes. You take her out a few times and your a little rusty, not as suave as you think you are.... But you keep at it, trying your hardest to make it work. Slowly she comes around and you form a bond that you have never had before. It grows to point that you start hearing yourself say' This is it, I'm never breaking up, I'm in it for the long haul, learning and growing together- I'm keeping her forever!'

That just about sums up the last 3 years with 996.1GT3 for me...

996GT3.pdf

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

Definitely 991 GT3 is better than those that went before it.  Would be great track car.  I took the .1 RS I had out for blat at the Island.  Crazy good on road tyres and set up.

In reality, I cant think of any new generation of car that Porsche has released that wasn’t a vast improvement on the model it replaced.  

Even the hand wringers who thought the world would end at 993 are probably eyeing of the new “classic” (996 - what a purity of shape, still demure, clean lines and that forward thinking  interior treatment I hear them murmur) as a good thing.

Anyway @PIC how are you enjoying the yellow peril?

Absolutely loving it @Skidmarksfrom it's street cred, the way I looks, how it sounds and of course how it drives...... it's very rare that you find a car that satisfies all of the emotions, I also like that you don't have to drive flat out to enjoy it, to me it's a perfect SMT car. 

Took mine for a run yesterday. The 911 sweetspot. Raw like an air-cooled, but refined for driving anywhere. Especially on the open road. Now I have seen 3 996.2 speed yellow clubsports. 7 in total (CS & touring) I believe delivered to Australia. I get free McDonald's burgers with this colour scheme!!!

profile_pic.png