My 1st Boxster Advise please

Hi boys and girls

I am looking for a week end Porsche and narrowed down the search to a 3.2S in manual if that matters and found this little number here

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-boxster-2001/sse-ad-6495041/?utm_campaign=interest-alert&utm_source=notification-centre&utm_medium=browser-push-notification&csn_atid=c9c712d8-f2ed-4216-81af-d8a14db7f44e

Does anyone here know of this car as I like this colour combo and looks low mileage.

Thoughts on price, I know the dreaded IMS has not been done but not a huge issue.

Thank you

I have no knowledge of this car but the two things you'll need regardless:

1. Service history

2. A PPI

At that price point though you could step up into a 987 2.7 or a high km "S".

Don't discount the non "S", personally I reckon the 2.7 suits the car better. I'll probably get shot down for that last statement 😁 

36 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

I have no knowledge of this car but the two things you'll need regardless:

1. Service history

2. A PPI

At that price point though you could step up into a 987 2.7 or a high km "S".

Don't discount the non "S", personally I reckon the 2.7 suits the car better. I'll probably get shot down for that last statement 😁 

I'm also bias but I concur.

There might be a bit of difference at the limits but for the majority of driving even spirited, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

S and 6 speed is a great combination.  It's perhaps more the gearbox I'd be buying rather than the engine.  But @Dave986 made a very good point about pricing.  We sold our '05 987S manual 18 months ago for basically $29k with 132000 kms on it.

Be alert but not alarmed about the IMS, regular oil changes with cutting open filter to check for metal fragments, change the IMS if you need to do a clutch or have the engine out for any other reason.  If you worry about it all the time you'll never drive the car and enjoy it to the fullest. We had the 987 first, and I then bought a 996.2 C2 which was even more susceptible to IMS issues, so If I was paranoid about the very small % of cars affected, I never would have bought the 996......

Seal grey is a great colour, black interior combo per my 996.2, excellent combo, coloured wheels are a personal choice, black not for me 🙂 

Dont know the car but it presents well, and its a nice colour combo that you dont always see... its got what most Boxsters these days dont; service history/provenance 

On face value it seems a little steep on asking price, but you can quickly burn cash on a bad example, so as the saying goes, they're all $30k boxsters, its just how you part with that money... :lol: 

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Thanks Dave

It has full history and PPI(Pre purchase inspection?) would be done.

Cheers

Yes, PPI is pre purchase inspection. My advice here would be to get one NOT AT THE PLACE THAT REGULARLY SERVICES IT. 

Why am I shouting this in bold type? Well, let's just say that my 997S had some issues missed during it's PPI that should have been picked up. I am dissappointed to say the least.

Thank the road gods for @Dave Brennan and his meticulousness 

10 hours ago, Frank said:

Hi boys and girls

I am looking for a week end Porsche and narrowed down the search to a 3.2S in manual if that matters and found this little number here

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-boxster-2001/sse-ad-6495041/?utm_campaign=interest-alert&utm_source=notification-centre&utm_medium=browser-push-notification&csn_atid=c9c712d8-f2ed-4216-81af-d8a14db7f44e

Does anyone here know of this car as I like this colour combo and looks low mileage.

Thoughts on price, I know the dreaded IMS has not been done but not a huge issue.

Thank you

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Dont know the car but it presents well, and its a nice colour combo that you dont always see... its got what most Boxsters these days dont; service history/provenance 

On face value it seems a little steep on asking price, but you can quickly burn cash on a bad example, so as the saying goes, they're all $30k boxsters, its just how you part with that money... :lol: 

I think Edgy is correct, little bit steep on the price even though it looks the goods.

FYI

I tried the $25k offer but rejected and has keen parties, that’s ok, I might look for a 987 with a 2.7 that has nearly as much grunt as the earlier 3.2 and not the fried egg head light.

all good, if anyone notices a good one under $30k, please drop me a line.

Danke

15 minutes ago, Frank said:

FYI

I tried the $25k offer but rejected and has keen parties, that’s ok, I might look for a 987 with a 2.7 that has nearly as much grunt as the earlier 3.2 and not the fried egg head light.

Danke

I'd go back in a couple of weeks and see whether those other keen parties have turned into a sale........

9 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'd go back in a couple of weeks and see whether those other keen parties have turned into a sale........

Indeed.  That particular car has been there for a couple of months.  Are you in WA?  If not you need to factor in another $1500 for transport too...

26 minutes ago, Frank said:

FYI

Danke

Even better since you're flexible. Something will pop up.

27 minutes ago, Frank said:

FYI

Danke

This one has been at Autohaus for a couple of months so they should be negotiable on the price. 1 owner and looks pretty mint.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-Boxster-987-Manual-MY05/OAG-AD-18588798

I think a base 987 is a great choice, still amazing cars!

1 minute ago, Fishcop said:

Indeed.  That particular car has been there for a couple of months.  Are you in WA?  If not you need to factor in another $1500 for transport too...

I am in SA, we get good cars here just none atm.

had quote for transport at $1100 incl.Patience is fine by me, ready to pounce when one pops up.

5 minutes ago, rego said:

This one has been at Autohaus for a couple of months so they should be negotiable on the price. 1 owner and looks pretty mint.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-Boxster-987-Manual-MY05/OAG-AD-18588798

Ha

i send them an inquiry tonight and awaiting response.

cheers

15 minutes ago, Frank said:

had quote for transport at $1100 incl.Patience is fine by me, ready to pounce when one pops up.

Ha

cheers

"What"!!!   transport $1100, buy a cheap air ticket and drive it home, you will be smiling all the way.

Don't much about the 2.7 but the 2005, 3.2s engine needs to be split to replace the IMS, I did mine last year as insurance after I spun a big end bearing.

21 minutes ago, rego said:

Heaps better option.

10 hours ago, Frank said:

Ha

cheers

I'm happy to help with transport, happy to do a Thurs, Fri overnighter to Wagga Wagga or Tooleybuc for delivery, note, i will be driving it $1100 bucks for delivery?. $300 for my expenses will do:D

32 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

I'm happy to help with transport, happy to do a Thurs, Fri overnighter to Wagga Wagga or Tooleybuc for delivery, note, i will be driving it $1100 bucks for delivery?. $300 for my expenses will do:D

The issue is not the drive but our borders are closed and only essential workers can enter which I can arrange via work but a sports car is not exactly a work ute.

Thanks for the kind offer.

I heard back from Autohaus, very professional set up and replies.

As I am new to this Boxster game, by the looks I am up for discs all round, pads, some switch gear, new tyres and some wheel arch cover.

Guessing a clutch is due soon as they don't last for ever.

Thoughts on costs? 

10 minutes ago, Frank said:

I heard back from Autohaus, very professional set up and replies.

As I am new to this Boxster game, by the looks I am up for discs all round, pads, some switch gear, new tyres and some wheel arch cover.

Guessing a clutch is due soon as they don't last for ever.

Thoughts on costs? 

Boxster.PDF 154.95 kB · 2 downloads

Looks ok from where I sit, but before you put your $$ down I'd consider having an independent look at it... 

1mm to min on the rears would last quite a while with moderate use... I think they only have a few mm wear anyway from new. 

A lot of what is noted you'd probably call cosmetic, with I think priorities tyres, bump stop and fuel cap replacements. We did 60,000kms in our 05 manual S, and the clutch didn;t give any sign of needing replacement, and it had been in a while before we got the car (possibly the original), so that may not be a "soon" replacement.  Rotors into the future depending on how hard / much you drive it.

So, I don't think you'd be up for a huge immediate cost.  I don;t think they'd sell you a car that isn;t well and truly roadworthy - when I bought my 996.2C2 from AH they insisted on putting new rotors all round on it, which was part of our negotiated price