1984 3.2

drmurugti

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. I am looking for seat options for a Carrera made in OCT 83. 

Was tartan ever a period correct option in 83/84. What other options were there for cars of that era? Pictures is the car currently and I want to spruce it up. I am toying between tartan/pinstripe/plain old nappa leather? Was leather even an option? If pinstripe was what I wanted, where would one sort this in Oz?

Thank you all!

One of the best books I purchased that has good original info on what these cars looked like in the 80's along with technical specs is The Last of the Evolution:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/porsche-911-3-2-carrera-the-last-of-the-evolution-p54013.html

Several sites offer it, I think I purchased through ebay.

I flicked through quickly and the most common would be leather tombstones, I was surprised by the amount of pin stripping also, no tartan to be seen.  There was a little Porsche script as I think that was bigger in the late 80's rather than the earlier years.

1 minute ago, Stepo said:

One of the best books I purchased that has good original info on what these cars looked like in the 80's along with technical specs is The Last of the Evolution:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/porsche-911-3-2-carrera-the-last-of-the-evolution-p54013.html

Several sites offer it, I think I purchased through ebay.

I flicked through quickly and the most common would be leather tombstones, I was surprised by the amount of pin stripping also, no tartan to be seen.  There was a little Porsche script as I think that was bigger in the late 80's rather than the earlier years.

@drmurugti- I am about to list a brand new copy of this book in the for sale section here, let me know if interested. I am in Melbourne.

There’s options and options . And if you are being Ubermenscht correct then probably almost anything goes as special wishes decreed so

if You  desire Tartan and pepita and perforate your heart away without fear guilt and shame 

I will post pics of my car once I do decide where I am headed. I am thinking tartan inserts...and keeping the original leather and getting it re foamed. As some of you who know me will know, I am a very confused individual. I took 15 mths to decide on a car.

Anyone else have any inspiration for me, please do kindly post pics. The steering wheel is gone, and I have purchased a period correct 84 steering. Next on my list is a wooden knob. (anyone have one for sale?)

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-08 at 19.25.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-08 at 19.25.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 13.54.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-08 at 19.25.49.jpeg

1 hour ago, drmurugti said:

I will post pics of my car once I do decide where I am headed. I am thinking tartan inserts...and keeping the original leather and getting it re foamed. As some of you who know me will know, I am a very confused individual. I took 15 mths to decide on a car.

Anyone else have any inspiration for me, please do kindly post pics. The steering wheel is gone, and I have purchased a period correct 84 steering. Next on my list is a wooden knob. (anyone have one for sale?)

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 13.54.19.jpeg

Looks good Muru.  You'll be right for a bit of doof doof with those speakers 🙂 

I'm surprised the rain has stopped in Hobart long enough for you to take the roof off, or were these pre-purchase photos?

56 minutes ago, Stepo said:

Good move on the steering wheel change 👌

I had too, I also just got a momo prototip just in case. Interesting journey, I first bought a steering for a carrera, only to find that the first year of the carrera had the same steering as an SC. That will be going up for sale soon.

9 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Looks good Muru.  You'll be right for a bit of doof doof with those speakers 🙂 

I'm surprised the rain has stopped in Hobart long enough for you to take the roof off, or were these pre-purchase photos?

These were pre purchase photos Peter ha. Rain here is horrendous! Yes the speakers and sound system were uprated by a previous owner to David and apparently pack a punch. (also has an amp if i am not mistaken). I am not sure I like them but given they cost a fair bit apparently, I may just keep them and paint the silver surrounds black.

7 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Interior still looks really good! Just needs a little tidy up such as the bases re padded rather than going to town?

Agree with the steering wheel change. Will be much better!

Thanks mate. I may consider that. Maybe it just needs a good detail too. However, if i did go with tartans am unsure were they just the front seats? I may just need to redo the centres 😜

6 minutes ago, Dalai said:

No harm in changing it if you want. But is a clean interior as it stands. :cool07:

Yes I think i also need to wait for the car to arrive here. I am just getting too itchy and wanting to do a million things to her.

I'll be getting just the inners of my bases redone soon, one seat is lifting and they could do with new support.  I was quoted $1200 for leather which I will do, vinyl was $600.

Talk to @Philbee if your interested in tartan.

50 minutes ago, Stepo said:

I'll be getting just the inners of my bases redone soon, one seat is lifting and they could do with new support.  I was quoted $1200 for leather which I will do, vinyl was $600.

Talk to @Philbee if your interested in tartan.

Thank you! I have just messaged him.