Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

Ian, Niko is right. Tyres do have a use by date, especially when they are subjected to spirited driving. It's normally 5 years. There is a deterioration in the physical properties of rubber as it ages. Tensile strength and elongation etc all deteriorate and as Niko says the rubber appears to become hard and micro cracks can start to develop in the side walls leading to blow outs.

Given the type of driving we subject our cars to, I would be replacing them as soon as possible.

What brand do you currently have on your car?

C

Ian, Niko is right. Tyres do have a use by date, especially when they are subjected to spirited driving. It's normally 5 years. There is a deterioration in the physical properties of rubber as it ages. Tensile strength and elongation etc all deteriorate and as Niko says the rubber appears to become hard and micro cracks can start to develop in the side walls leading to blow outs.

Given the type of driving we subject our cars to, I would be replacing them as soon as possible.

C

Beautifully said Chris, they are the words I was looking for... :D You have explained it nicely.

C

Probably should move this somewhere else but what the hell...

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 18's

Front 235/40 Z

Rear 265/40 ZR

Found a marking on the front which I believe could be the year of manuafacture (2006) - which would make sense for a'07 build car

But the only thing I can find on the rears is 2506 which I'm not sure about

As they are the same manufacturer the formatting of the date doesn't seem consistent.

I have to say that on the GOR SMT I was really impressed with the way it was holding grip in corners

But just a little surprised at the level of under steer and tail wagging this morning. (5000kms later)

Because I'm a McBafe I'll probably keep going with these for a bit longer and see.

Also I've not checked the tyre pressures for a few months (shhhhh) so I'll have a look at that and see...

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

Appreciated as always....

Probably should move this somewhere else but what the hell...

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 18's

Front 235/40 Z

Rear 265/40 ZR

Found a marking on the front which I believe could be the year of manuafacture (2006) - which would make sense for a'07 build car

But the only thing I can find on the rears is 2506 which I'm not sure about

As they are the same manufacturer the formatting of the date doesn't seem consistent.

I have to say that on the GOR SMT I was really impressed with the way it was holding grip in corners

But just a little surprised at the level of under steer and tail wagging this morning. (5000kms later)

Because I'm a McBafe I'll probably keep going with these for a bit longer and see.

Also I've not checked the tyre pressures for a few months (shhhhh) so I'll have a look at that and see...

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

Appreciated as always....

I was finding my car was a bit 'lively' in the rear when I first got it. Some of it was me treating the accelerator like a switch and some was the tyres. 32psi front and 36PSI in the rears I'm running now and the car is much better.

They would be the DOT indented manufacture stamp date Front 20th week/06 year, Rear 25th week/06 year.

Hope that answers the question.

This mornings temperatures of 38C would probably have changed your tyre pressures and tyre compounds do harden over time.

Cheers,Mark.

Dont mean to be rude, but of all the places to have a monthly car show, Bunnings???? isnt there a better car park?? somewere that serves beer or coffee?

Maybe McDonalds  :D Better yet, the one next to the Golden Guitar! (Historic Monument and National icon)  ;)

I do miss Tamworth.............and doing laps of Peel Street in my Ford Lazer.  B)

Dont mean to be rude, but of all the places to have a monthly car show, Bunnings???? isnt there a better car park?? somewere that serves beer or coffee?

Not rude, surprised me too.  Thought it was just a gathering of the local ricers, but is organised by the local car clubs.  Bunnings has huge car park and a cafe where participants get a surprisingly good large coffee and two slices of raisin toast for $4.  The "show" goes from 9am to 11am then a drive is usually arranged. (optional)

Maybe McDonalds  :D Better yet, the one next to the Golden Guitar! (Historic Monument and National icon)  ;)

I do miss Tamworth.............and doing laps of Peel Street in my Ford Lazer.  B)

No room at Macca's. Too small and the area around the Golden Gittah is built out. 

You didn't really "chuck Peelies" did you ?

• 2 weeks later...

What a stunning day in Melbourne today!  I drove to Romsey and then to Springfield (via Wallan unintentionally - if a 10 yr old says he knows where he's going, don't believe him!)  the Romsey/Darraweit Guim Road is quite stunning to drive at the best of times. The fire jumped the road in a few parts and locals have lost buildings/homes etc :(  pretty rough in that part of town at the moment. But a good drive nonetheless :)

I am agree. But I haven't drive my P to country road yet, any route can recommend?

Have a look in for ideas Eddy 

Yesterday I drove this route:

Towards Melbourne International Airport >  drive straight past and keep going

Turn right into the Melbourne Lancefield Road >  keep going until you get to Romsey

Turn right into Romsey Road (aka as the Romsey Darraweit Guim Road) follow all the way to Wallan

Once at Wallan, turn right into the Northern Highway and keep going back into the CBD OR

You could drive from Wallan to Whittlesea and onto Kinglake and head back from that direction to the CBD or wherever you live. 

Depends how long you want to be out.

You could do a day trip to Lorne down the GOR - leave super early in the am and have bfast in Lorne.. or

Dandenongs...

Mornington Peninsula...

The world, or should I say Victoria is your oyster :)

I am agree. But I haven't drive my P to country road yet, any route can recommend?

Hi Eddie,

Where are you located?

PM me and I might be able to send you some navigation instructions for a few "fun runs"  through the Dandenongs

Drove along beach road this morning. Very pleasant day and lots of cars and bikes around. Had an unfortunate incident unfold right in front of me when a land cruiser had to brake hard to avoid running into a car turning into the south road beach car park right behind and too close was a Harley with old bloke ( my age :) ) and his partner. They slammed straight I to the back of the land cruiser and ended up under the Harley. People came from everywhere and lifted the bike off them. Ego's hurt but no physical damage. Both the land cruiser and bike a little worse for wear. Cannot understand why people travel so close to each other....

Anyway apart from that I had the pleasant experience of being followed by a Cayman R. Looked great sneaking along behind me...

C