11 hours ago, donR said:

My impression is in Australia the high $ caymans are not really a value proposition, unlike say US, so whilst there might be initial demand I would have thought you'd be able to get one towards the end of the production cycle.

I priced one up and my config came to $371k which in the big scheme of things is not too far off a new GT3, which really has the technical improvements including suspension, better LSD, rws, etc. So I suspect a lot of Porsche enthusiasts in this price point will lean towards the GT3, unless they are specifically Cayman fans or budget constrained. So I think the real attraction here is the GT3 engine and PDK gearing. 

Having turned my 718 GTS into a track car over the past year or so with still more to spend, I would be very tempted to get an RS oneday which I'm sure is one of the best track cars out of the box, but just need some financial wizardry to get me there. 😎

If I was betting on future values, I would guess that the 'RS' moniker would keep the GT4RS higher than a similar RRP 'regular' GT3 down the line. Interesting to see how it actually plays out in the years to come.

10 hours ago, MFX said:

If I was betting on future values, I would guess that the 'RS' moniker would keep the GT4RS higher than a similar RRP 'regular' GT3 down the line. Interesting to see how it actually plays out in the years to come.

I think one of the things holding up values (other than low rates) is the rate at which Porsche Cars Australia are increasing prices here. 13% uplift between the 991.2 and 992 on a no options car doesn't sound like much but it translates to almost $50k. When it comes time to sell all of a sudden the price of the previous generations hold up because the price of entry with the newer model is $50k or more higher than the previous car was to buy new.

^^^   doesn't seem limited to Porsche. The Italians also hiking by double digit percentages between models. It's getting mighty pricey chasing the latest and greatest toys irrespective of your branding. At least P-cars are still "reasonably priced" to service compared to other brands.

Just on Pricing I remember the 991.2 GT3 base price was around $330k mark and we now see the new 992 GT3 starting at $415K , Considerable price rise between the two models ..

Certainly is the case of paying a premium for the lastest sought after GT models , on the plus side the previous model 991.2 GT3 cars from 2018 and 2019 are priced well and there are some stunning well optioned examples out there ,and as we all know they are a Cracker of a car ..

In NSW at least base drive away price was $353k for 991.2 - I don't remember 991.1. Redbook is inaccurate unfortunately.

5 hours ago, HWY said:

^^^   doesn't seem limited to Porsche. The Italians also hiking by double digit percentages between models. It's getting mighty pricey chasing the latest and greatest toys irrespective of your branding. At least P-cars are still "reasonably priced" to service compared to other brands.

Very true. Cheap to service our trusty Germans. The first 7 years of a new fezza servicing is free for comparison... but it'd want to be for the price differential.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

In NSW at least base drive away price was $353k for 991.2 - I don't remember 991.1. Redbook is inaccurate unfortunately.

Very true. Cheap to service our trusty Germans. The first 7 years of a new fezza servicing is free for comparison... but it'd want to be for the price differential.

Probably banking on the fact that Ferrari owners don't use their cars for fear of devaluing them ;)

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HWY said:

I think the whole hard to get thing is over-done. It may be the case in USA, but not in Australia.

It depends on the model and how early you want to be in the queue. Early is important for a lot of people because it means they can dip in, have a go, and then dip out without losing too much money. People who buy further down the track don't usually have that luxury - although covid has changed things somewhat.

Limited editions are generally hard to get, badge engineering aside.

I still think barring some issue in production (or component supply) we'll see similar numbers of 4RS cars to the first GT4 (240ish). Two and a half years of production is a long time.

The 4RS is the new hotness, the second the 3RS comes out there will be a bunch of people jump ship. You've also got the rumours that there will be a Spyder RS, and also a 718 R and Spyder R - all these models will soak up demand.

I’m guessing this is the only way that VW can raise the money to meet their electrification goals. It’s a huge gamble though as Porsche is VWs best asset. On track to be 40% of profit for the group this year. VW on its own has lost $US450 per car this year. Porsche on the other hand is running at a 15% margin.

Could also be that the wider group doesn’t want to fight the synthetic fuels angle that Porsche is likely going to want to fight while VW itself is moving to full electrification. Hard to rehab its diesel-gate stigma in the US while owning a brand that is ostensibly trying to find a way around EU emissions laws.