Washing 911

Hey everyone, 

Decided to wash the car today and remember a few tips I recieved like not to get any water up in the vents above the rear screen, as it will likely end up on the rear seats. 

I've also been advised to use a garden hose on the older 911s and not a pressure washer, as the seals might not be what they used to. 

I gave the whale tail a thorough clean too, using quite a bit of water. Is there any potential of damaging anything in the engine bay by hitting the whale tail with alot of water? 

Also are there any other parts of the car that you should be careful around with water? 

56 minutes ago, wangan said:

Hey everyone, 

Decided to wash the car today and remember a few tips I recieved like not to get any water up in the vents above the rear screen, as it will likely end up on the rear seats. 

I've also been advised to use a garden hose on the older 911s and not a pressure washer, as the seals might not be what they used to. 

I gave the whale tail a thorough clean too, using quite a bit of water. Is there any potential of damaging anything in the engine bay by hitting the whale tail with alot of water? 

Also are there any other parts of the car that you should be careful around with water? 

Just drive to Sydney and park it on a street. You will soon find out where the leaks are🙂

I've heard of puting a towel in the engine bay before a wash and removing it after. Not sure if you'd need to go to that extent. The whale tale kind of collects water if it were to be raining, so you'd think if it wasn't doing any damage in the rain, you'd be fine giving it a wash.

I also use a garden hose. Not confident with the Gerni around the sunroof and whale tale vents. 

I wouldn’t use a pressure washer in general.  Sponge and bucket still best.  Don’t worry about getting engine wet they were designed to do that. But then don’t specifically hose it either.  I use hose water sparingly up top and liberally underneath to get out trapped dirt and rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I wouldn’t use a pressure washer in general.  Sponge and bucket still best.  Don’t worry about getting engine wet they were designed to do that. But then don’t specifically hose it either.  I use hose water sparingly up top and liberally underneath to get out trapped dirt and rubbish. 

Thanks for the reply guys. 

It's hard to remove the soap suds from the whale tail vents without using a decent amount of water, so I was just worried i might do some damage. 

14 hours ago, rminc said:

I've heard of puting a towel in the engine bay before a wash and removing it after. Not sure if you'd need to go to that extent. The whale tale kind of collects water if it were to be raining, so you'd think if it wasn't doing any damage in the rain, you'd be fine giving it a wash.

I also use a garden hose. Not confident with the Gerni around the sunroof and whale tale vents. 

Haven't heard of the towel before.. Thanks for the tip. 

Hand, hose wash every time. Spray the car first with reasonable pressure to remove abrasive particles from the surface, and then hand wash it.  Use the pressure device, if needed, in the wheel arches but take care around brake callipers .  For drying around grilles and window edges where water seeps in and stays there (and possibly the 'tail) use your lawn/leaf blower in a sideways manner - really works and gets all the water out that normally stops in there. Dry with microfibre towels or a quality chamois. Check weather forecast first as it is a well known meteorological fact that washing cars makes it rain.

4 hours ago, Merv said:

Hand, hose wash every time. Spray the car first with reasonable pressure to remove abrasive particles from the surface, and then hand wash it.  Use the pressure device, if needed, in the wheel arches but take care around brake callipers .  For drying around grilles and window edges where water seeps in and stays there (and possibly the 'tail) use your lawn/leaf blower in a sideways manner - really works and gets all the water out that normally stops in there. Dry with microfibre towels or a quality chamois. Check weather forecast first as it is a well known meteorological fact that washing cars makes it rain.

This is great advice, I use a RYobi workshop blower on older cars to remove standing water from trouble spots.  e.g. window corners on a 3.2 carrera.

4 hours ago, cyberpunky said:

that's what I have used for last few years. I honestly didn't expect it to last long with what it cost and yet its still going strong

My 'trade quality' AEG drills shat themselves within 6 months of light use drilling holes in 16mm melamine, so whilst they were in being fixed, I needed spares to use (AEG wouldn't supply temporary replacements), so I bought some $70 Ozito drills which have the same torque and speed as an AEG. I flogged them for 2-3 years, dropped them from the tops of ladders and yet never a problem even now and are in my van. The batteries are still going strong and hold charge a lot longer, when 5 of my AEG batteries are unable to be used after a year or so. I also still use an Ozito multi tool, l.e.d lamps, blower and a small $90 cordless Ozito drop saw for trim and skirting work instead of the $550 AEG which has stopped working more times than I care to remember, and the handle broke twice through normal use with no chance of warranty repair. 

27 minutes ago, Merv said:

Interesting Lee.  I have had a great run with Milwaukee drills, torque wrenches and grinders, but Ozito will be on the list!

I now have mostly Dewalt tools Merv, and mates have Milwaukee, and some $400-500 tools I'd love to buy, but I'd rarely use them onsite so I grab Ozito at a quarter of the price. If anything dies, you just take it back and swap for a new one (unlike most other tool brands) 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I now have mostly Dewalt tools Merv, and mates have Milwaukee, and some $400-500 tools I'd love to buy, but I'd rarely use them onsite so I grab Ozito at a quarter of the price. If anything dies, you just take it back and swap for a new one (unlike most other tool brands) 

I understand the thinking of this, but as I have mostly Makita stuff, I'm tempted to buy the blower skin as linked above, at only slightly more cost than the Ozito for a couple of reasons - nice short nozzle (I actually have the long nozzle garden blower skin, wonder if you can just buy the short nozzle??), and one less different charger and battery configuration.

Bingo, $9.30 for just the Makita rubber nozzle at Total Tools, score!!  I'll call in on the way home......

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Bingo, $9.30 for just the Makita rubber nozzle at Total Tools, score!!  I'll call in on the way home......

Cheap as...!

Makes sense to buy into whichever tool eco system you already have invested in.

I find that the rubber nozzle is worth its weight in gold in not having to worry about it scratching the duco when waving it around.

The Makita is on sale every now and then - I picked mine up when on sale a while back for $69.

Geeze l think i must be tighter than a Scotchmans wallet, Because I brought the Aldi 20 v 4 ah drills , Saws when building my house, which i am still finishing and all the tools are still going strong today , Must admit , Spent a bit more than usual the other day, Got thier 13 mm steel chuck hamer drill for 79 bucks :)

23 hours ago, LeeM said:

I have the Milwaukee hand tools (“dremell”, torque wrench and cordless drill) as all run on the same batteries.  Lots of use and 3-4 years of no problems.  My heavy duty grinder, drill and so on are also de Walt.  The Milwaukee 14.4 volt cordless drill is just brilliant. Lots of grunt and flexibility.