Porsche production and delivery delays

5 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

PCSS told me today that they are quoting a one year delivery time for a new 911!

I was told by a valuer for a large vehicle auction house that these are the strangest times he's ever seen, this was over a month ago. He said used cars have gone up the first half of the year because of the delays in new car deliveries. He also said that it's going to get a lot worse in the second half of this year! Seems he was on to something

I have two cars on order - a Cayenne GTS coupe and a Boxster GTS. Cayenne is on track for delivery next month. Boxster delayed until late July at best. I am also in the queue for a 992 Touring but was offered a 992 GT3 allocation yesterday as an alternative because of delays to the GT3 Touring release. Most likely no Tourings in the country until next year.

I was told today if I place my order for my Cross Turismo today, I should get it March next year. First deliveries are expected to start in October.

They also said orders are split 50/50 over Taycan and Cross Turismo.

1 hour ago, WGA said:

I have two cars on order - a Cayenne GTS coupe and a Boxster GTS. Cayenne is on track for delivery next month. 

Presumably the Cayenne has already been built and is on the water.  You timed it well, since the Cayenne plant has just been shuttered due to lack of the necessary microchips.

44 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

Surely it can't be that hard to ramp up production of microchips after Covid shutdowns?

There are only two factories in the world producing chips, and one in China had a fire and had to make repairs. The Taiwan factory is at full 24 hour production trying to keep up with demand. 

38 minutes ago, JLD said:

There are only two factories in the world producing chips, and one in China had a fire and had to make repairs. The Taiwan factory is at full 24 hour production trying to keep up with demand. 

Thanks for clarifying. Talk about a choke point!

5 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

Thanks for clarifying. Talk about a choke point!

It takes about $3 Billion and more than 3 years to build a new chip factory as well, so no one is brave enough to build one because the concern is that by the time it's finished this hype might be over

7 hours ago, JLD said:

It takes about $3 Billion and more than 3 years to build a new chip factory as well, so no one is brave enough to build one because the concern is that by the time it's finished this hype might be over

Not to mention the potential shortage of salt and vinegar. Tough times

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

So what did you choose to do?

Decided to pass on the GT3 and wait for the Touring even though it will probably be sometime next year. In the meantime, I bought a new M3 Comp which is due early July to keep me amused.

And I got an update from PCM today on the Cayenne GTS and the Boxster GTS. Cayenne GTS will be arriving at the dealer next week and the Boxster GTS has been confirmed for early July rather than late July.

Looks like the production holdups are trickling through to the used car markets:

Porsche Brisbane has only 3 used cars in stock - 1 x Boxster & 2 x Macan's.

Porsche Gold Coast only has 6 used cars in stock - 1 x Cayenne & 5 x Macan's.

Thin pickings indeed. And looking at the pricing, they seen to be much more expensive than this time last year too....

29 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Looks like the production holdups are trickling through to the used car markets:

Thin pickings indeed. And looking at the pricing, they seen to be much more expensive than this time last year too....

Porsche Australia now has an app that values your car and ads asking to buy your car outright. Lots of ads on Facebook for this

1 hour ago, Stephen Tinker said:

When having discussions at Brighton and Doncaster about a possible replacement of our 981 they both wanted the 981 right or wrong. Lots of other brand vehicles (mainly SUVs mind you) in their pre-owned lot......

• 7 months later...
On 07/05/2021 at 19:56, WGA said:

I have two cars on order - a Cayenne GTS coupe and a Boxster GTS. Cayenne is on track for delivery next month. Boxster delayed until late July at best. I am also in the queue for a 992 Touring but was offered a 992 GT3 allocation yesterday as an alternative because of delays to the GT3 Touring release. Most likely no Tourings in the country until next year.

Just wanted to know how long it took for your Cayenne GTS Coupe to arrive from the time of placing the order to delivery?

I have ordered one in the beginning of December 2021 and yet to receive a delivery date.

Will greatly appreciate your response. 

Hot off the dealership news press (my friend just came out of the sales meeting), no 2022 production for the Cayman GTS 4.0.

Hang on to your flat 6 Caymans if you have one. The next production run is not until 2023 with 2024 expected delivery.

Given the rampant spread of omicron, wouldn’t be surprised if they finish up the 4L in favour of pushing out GT4 RS. Lots of rumblings in the US that both Spyder and GT4 will end production once they start deliveries of the RS and Spyder equivalent.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Given the rampant spread of omicron, wouldn’t be surprised if they finish up the 4L in favour of pushing out GT4 RS. Lots of rumblings in the US that both Spyder and GT4 will end production once they start deliveries of the RS and Spyder equivalent.

I did wonder after reading that huge thread on rennlist about the “Spyder RS” if it will just be the Spyder, but with ‘that’ 4.0L in some other state of tune …

Maybe then the GTS 4.0 twins will get it as well, in a lower state of tune again …? 

Don’t know if I can really see Porsche borrowing a HSV / Holden strategy for the end of 718 flat sixes … but maybe 😂