Headlight refurbishment -recommendations?

Jason E

23 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Need to get my headlights refurbed on the 996.  Anyone had recent experience/ recommendations/ horror stories etc????

I've tried a couple of brands, best so far has been Meguairs, particularly the spray coating put on last.  Just make sure you mask properly around the headlight and paintwork!!

Watercooled are good with being able to easily remove the headlight to do it all, not sure about air cooled as I have no knowledge whether you can easily remove the light.

I had no luck with the Meguairs kit so sent them to a professional with good results. The headlight assembley is a very easy unit to remove and the cars toolkit contains the exact tool for the job.

Did mine with various items.

The Cerakoat system has a surface oxidization remover and used that, then wet sanding (1000, 2000 & 3000), final polish with GTechniq G4 Nanotech Glass Polish (good for perspex too), cleaning with H2O and IPA before final Cerakota ceramic coating.

Came out pretty good for a few hours work.

On 26/05/2021 at 05:26, Rod C said:

I had no luck with the Meguairs kit so sent them to a professional with good results. The headlight assembley is a very easy unit to remove and the cars toolkit contains the exact tool for the job.

Was this in Sydney, Rod? If so, can you tell me who did them?

On 01/06/2021 at 05:57, Rod C said:

No sorry in Melbourne back in the days when we could wonder around free to do as we please.

i remember those days.  i reckon we'll be in lockdown for another two weeks (21 days all up), but I'm a pessimist on what they will do here.

Who did you use Rod as i may need to have the lights done on my Cayman?

Has anyone upgraded the globes in the 996.2 non-xenon units?  The basic 996 units aren't much better than a candle.  I don't night drive enough to justify sourcing original xenons, and aftermarket full LED units are a bit naff to my eye. Wondering about using some modern tech LED units to replace the halogen globes, but would be interested in what others have done...

2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Wondering about using some modern tech LED units to replace the halogen globes, but would be interested in what others have done...

Same. I gave mine a massive sand and polish today. They’re looking great now, but the light they emit is still woeful.

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

Might take this path... http://mapw.co.uk/996blog/2019/03/30/philips-h7-x-tremeultinon-led-gen2-kit-review/

I did an upgrade like this to my VW Amarok which also has terrible standard lighting, the result was worth while.

Please keep me in the loop John.  I might get on this with you.

I've already replaced the standard globes with aftermarket LED's and the difference is substantial, however the older projector lens still gives a fairly average beam. Been looking at a few different options and upgrades people have posted on the internets..Thinking I might give it a try seeing I like to see where I am driving at night.

On 05/06/2021 at 22:11, Sherpa said:

Same. I gave mine a massive sand and polish today. They’re looking great now, but the light they emit is still woeful.

Its the old projector and lenses...You can replace the len or the whole unit...Changing the globes makes a big difference, but you're still limited by the old projectors..

On 07/06/2021 at 17:23, Sherpa said:

Which LED bulbs did you use @911CSR? Did it require any modifications to the housing?

I'll pull the lights and take a few pics when I get back home...I tried a few different bulbs -Misimoto (US) - 2 Stroke 3.0 LED / GTR Lighting Ultra LED (US) / Illumio (Aust) LED

I stuck with Mishimoto for low and GTR for high beam.

I've actually just bought a second set of headlights and I am going to rebuild with replacement projectors etc. Lets see how that goes...

Finally got home and time to pull the headlights:

The side by side is the current polished headlights next to the newly purschased units I am going to refurbish with replacement projectors, likely Mishimoto Bi-LED + High beam as well as totally rewire them given the usual issue of the early 2000 wiring cracking its insulation.

The other is the current LED fitting. I had to replace some of the wiring due to the wiring insulation cracking but all in all a simple and easy replacement

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

This is the end goal I am going to try and replicate/copy...

97998608_240635270711179_5083315054351220736_n.jpg

img_8036_7a42eda20872039aeca7f4e47f64df18f1100997.jpg

On 16/06/2021 at 09:52, 911CSR said:

This is the end goal I am going to try and replicate/copy...

I like the black surround rather than the silver, gives a much fresher look. Would like to do some reading on this to see if it's something I would tackle.  

Do you have any references/links you could post up?

11 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I like the black surround rather than the silver, gives a much fresher look. Would like to do some reading on this to see if it's something I would tackle.  

Do you have any references/links you could post up?

Yep...Here's the link to the build that I am going to follow: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/409915-high-performance-996-headlights-build-log-4.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed my LEDs this arvo, definitely brighter and whiter - I did the lot, parkers, fogs, low and high beams using the kit mentioned in my last post.  Very easy and relatively cheap - a couple of comparative photos supplied.  But watch out for the old brittle wiring, my right hand side wires were crumbling - I fixed them using shrink wrap, but may end up replacing the wire for peace of mind.

IMG_0660.jpeg

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg