996 Tyre Recommendations

AndrewM

TL;DR: For day to day drive plus occasional track days, recommendation from everyone below is Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - regardless whether 17" or 18" wheels

---

I am looking for replacement tyres. I wasn't able to find an existing thread so I thought I would start one.

My understanding is that the default tyre sizes for 996s are:
* 205/50R17 - 255/40R17
* 225/40R18 - 265/35R18

I personally have 17" rims so will start by focusing on those, and wanted to start with Michelin:

* Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - 205/50 R17 89 Y, 255/40 R17 94 Y
* Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 205/50R17 89W ZP, 205/50R17 93W XL  - 255/40R17 98(Y) XL

For my 2 track days per year plus driving around country roads, I am currently favouring the PS2, but happy to hear anyone else's thoughts or a pointer to a more complete list.
Thanks!

35 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

I am looking for replacement tyres. I wasn't able to find an existing thread so I thought I would start one.

My understanding is that the default tyre sizes for 996s are:
* 205/50R17 - 255/40R17
* 225/40R18 - 265/35R18

I personally have 17" rims so will start by focusing on those, and wanted to start with Michelin:

* Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - 205/50 R17 89 Y, 255/40 R17 94 Y
* Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 205/50R17 89W ZP, 205/50R17 93W XL  - 255/40R17 98(Y) XL

For my 2 track days per year plus driving around country roads, I am currently favouring the PS2, but happy to hear anyone else's thoughts or a pointer to a more complete list.
Thanks!

I just put PS2's 18's  on my car.  Very good.

I have 18" PS4 on my car and have done a couple of track days and a week of hard driving through Tassie on them. They are fantastic in the wet, but definitely lack grip in the dry. If you only drive your car for weekend fun driving I would recommend PS2's. They are fantastic in the dry and less good in the wet, but they are still ok and not super sketchy like some track focused tyres. 

PS4S is the compromise between PS4 and PS2 which gives you the best of both worlds. 

I have seen the performance difference written;

PS2    100% dry  75% wet

PS4S    90% dry  85% wet

PS4     75% dry 100% wet

I have experience with the following on 18 inch (225/40/18 front and 285/30/18 rear), noting my car does not get used as a daily so my experience is based on country roads and predominately good conditions:

Continental Sport Contact 2

- They were by no means a terrible tyre and gave decent performance in dry and wet in terms of grip.  However they gave the least grip of the tyres I have tried but longest life so I would say that they are more balanced towards length of life then grip.  TBH I think I would rather not get them again but they were not terrible by any means.

Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimetrico 

- These provided better grip then Continentals and I was happy enough with them.  The trick is they make a number of different P Zero tyres (Rosso, Corsa, Nero Gt, Dragon etc) so always remember to check which tyre you are buying to ensure you are getting the level of performance you are after.

Michelin PS2 

- Definitely provided best grip, however trade off for me was shorter life span.  I think in this pandemic world there is a shortage of PS2's in certain sizes so whether these are readily available in your preferred size may help decide.

Toyo Proxes R888 (in 17 inch)

- On the track once warmed up they were great and for driving in dry warm conditions they provided a surprising amount of grip and they were predictable and surprisingly grippy in wet conditions when new and with decent grooves however not a lot of fun on the highway with standing water.  Porsche strongly advises against semi slick tyres on the 996 as the car can suffer oil starvation but you pays your money and takes your chances.

From my personal experience the PS2's are my preferred option closely followed by Pirelli with Continental a distant third if I had no other option.

I went from the standard 18" 225 and 295 Michelin PS4's to 19" 235 and 315 Continential Sport Contact 6's.

Can't speak to the Conti Sport Contact 2 but the Contact 6's are damn good. Obviously hard to directly conpare NVH etc seeing I went up a rim size and width etc., but in the wet, long distance and even on a weekend drive the grip and performance was excellent. Certainly wasn;t a step back against the PS4's

If there was a negative it would be road noise on some surfaces, but again it could simply be the lower profile tyre.

1 hour ago, 911CSR said:

If there was a negative it would be road noise on some surfaces, but again it could simply be the lower profile tyre.

I reckon the 996 is simply a noisy car (NVH speaking) - it's very apparent if you're normally in a modern quiet daily and then take the 996 for a spin.

But NVH has never been something to consider when driving a 911 :D

26 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I reckon the 996 is simply a noisy car (NVH speaking) - it's very apparent if you're normally in a modern quiet daily and then take the 996 for a spin.

But NVH has never been something to consider when driving a 911 :D

John, have you gone any further with the exhausts upgrade after selling the MM's?

1 minute ago, Jason E said:

John, have you gone any further with the exhausts upgrade after selling the MM's?

Yes - located and fitted a pair of unbranded Cargraphic copies.  So far I'm really happy with them, but I haven't done a decent 110kph free way cruise to check out any 'drone' factor.

45 minutes ago, Merv said:

My P Zero Rossos are nothing like that.  Pretty pleased with them on the Turbo.

Never been happy with them on the cars we've purchased that had them.   They were diabolical on my wife's 981, but they might have been getting a little hard.   I believe there are different treads and compounds, all known as P Zeros within their range, so might be a matter of getting the "right" one.......

21 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Never been happy with them on the cars we've purchased that had them.   They were diabolical on my wife's 981, but they might have been getting a little hard.   I believe there are different treads and compounds, all known as P Zeros within their range, so might be a matter of getting the "right" one.......

Maybe the AWD on the Turbo and how I drive  has something to do with it. However, most tyres have a 'half life' in my experience as they wear and become harder and offer less grip, especially in the wet. The ones shown in the RedRacn's post must have had a real beating that most tyres wouldn't survive. 

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Maybe the AWD on the Turbo and how I drive  has something to do with it. However, most tyres have a 'half life' in my experience as they wear and become harder and offer less grip, especially in the wet. The ones shown in the RedRacn's post must have had a real beating that most tyres wouldn't survive. 

The photo I posted is not a one off. I have seen a number of Pirellis suffer to a similar extent and some PS2. Yes the cars were driven hard on very twisty roads but In my experience PS4s stand up to this treatment far far better when driven on the same road same day same speed.  It’s horses for courses the Pirellis my be overheating in this particular case  but they could be superior in much colder conditions or on a less course surface (not found in Australia). Just my 1cents worth. 

Interesting. The rubber has melted on the eyes in the picture.   I didn't buy these tyres as they came with the car. On the '88 Carrera I have the RE003's and they are great.  I guess that the options are fewer for a 996 Turbo when the time comes?

25 minutes ago, Merv said:

Interesting. The rubber has melted on the eyes in the picture.   I didn't buy these tyres as they came with the car. On the '88 Carrera I have the RE003's and they are great.  I guess that the options are fewer for a 996 Turbo when the time comes?

I have Dunlop Direzza ZIII's on my 996 GT3, think they are same / similar size wheels.  They are a hybrid track / road tyre, but depending on your annual mileage could be an option worth looking at.  I've found them to still be very good for wet road driving

A friend had a new set of tyres put on her 996 Turbo when she bought it last year, and the PC put on Super Sports (no specific designation eg PS2, PS4S etc).