996 suspension options

In need of some feedback please...

Has anyone with a 996 had any experience with Koni sport shocks?

I'm tossing up between them or Bilstein B6's (which I have on my other car), however the Koni's offer the addition of dialing in the dampers soft or hard.

Dont want coilovers & not tracking the car but some feedback from anyone who has them or used them on the 911 would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers  

@davidgalea76@gmail.comYep put them on my 996.1 about 8 weeks ago.  Dave at east coast in Taren point fitted them along with top mounts and all other bushes.
I can’t give you the comparison as I have only ever had koni sports in previous air cooled. My choice was purely availability and price as bilsteins were in short supply and Dave found the last pair locally available at the time.  Not sure if it’s just which camp you sit in or true differences between the brands, as I know Autohaus prefer bilsteins. I watched a few YouTube comparisons and for my type of daily driving, Koni’s were the pick.

Similar to others I can only comment on the Bilsteins and have had them in the car for the last 8 months. They totally tranformed the ride and handling..As you mentioned they are not adjustable like the Koni's but I've never needed them to be for the road as they are good the way they are.

I too am not far away from needing to change out shocks on my 996.

In addition, I was keen to drop the height ever so slightly but in my reading to-date this appears a slippery slope and would require me to go down the coil over pathway as well as other set up requirements which I am not keen to do...

Guys thanks for the comments.

These shocks will be for front and back with 25mm lower Eibach springs.

I'd be really interested in hearing from the guys who have them on their 996 and how they found the setup from soft to hard.

Is it softer than standard when set to full soft?

Do they greatly improve the ride when on firm?

Apologies for all the questions. I just wanna get this right and not make a mistake. 

5 hours ago, davidgalea76@gmail.com said:

Guys thanks for the comments.

These shocks will be for front and back with 25mm lower Eibach springs.

I'd be really interested in hearing from the guys who have them on their 996 and how they found the setup from soft to hard.

Is it softer than standard when set to full soft?

Do they greatly improve the ride when on firm?

Apologies for all the questions. I just wanna get this right and not make a mistake. 

Maybe @JWM can jump in here as he did bilsteins and lowered eibach springs. My guy moved me away from lowering for a daily. I’m pretty happy with the stance sitting on 18’s

‘if not already done I would also recommend engine mounts at the same time if not before, transforms the handling as well

42EAF415-132A-4193-AC77-031C9712EDA4.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Tips said:

Maybe @JWM can jump in here as he did bilsteins and lowered eibach springs. My guy moved me away from lowering for a daily. I’m pretty happy with the stance sitting on 18’s

‘if not already done I would also recommend engine mounts at the same time if not before, transforms the handling as well

That stance looks great, I agree that it doesn't appear to require dropping any further.

I will wait for my 18" rims to arrive and reassess when the 17" are off.

On 18/06/2021 at 21:22, Tips said:

I go back and forwards on the lowering.

In terms of ride, ironically, I think it would be ok as a “daily” on smooth suburban roads and the motorways… Occasionally I’ll drive it like that and it’s fine. Mine’s really a Sunday car, so I went with the lowering, but the times I find it too stiff are on the not-so-smooth parts of the various weekend drive roads it gets to…

Definitely lower than you’d want as a daily in terms of clearance though I think, I have to be pretty careful there… Photo below for comparison to Tips. Side on honestly I think it looks a bit “too low” but it does look awesome from 3/4 rear profile.

If I did it again I think I’d try it without springs first and see if I liked the handling. I may yet try and find something “half way” between the  Eibach’s and standard. I was wondering recently if M030 springs might provide that?

Definitely handles fantastically though. I remember the first decent drive I did afterwards and I couldn’t stop smiling, transformed the car. 

I second what @Tips said about doing the mounts too! Your car is looking very sweet now mate!

8DD2B415-1AC6-4C3E-93F0-F1D5AB2F8AAB.jpeg