993 PROJECT COMPLETE

WB997.2GTS

12 months, a little heartache, sore fingers (no tears) and my little 993 Covid project is complete.

I bought the car sight unseen from an auction in Tasmania last year (thanks for the tip-of Two-heads).

Its a 1996, Varioram tiptronic Targa, (yeh! I know its a tipper, but after driving it for a week its starting to learn my driving technique and its getting better every day).

The car looked good on arrival but on closer inspection it was very unloved and neglected, paint was faded & scratched, interior was stuffed and required replacing. 25 yrs of under-car oil, crud and that dreaded delivery wax needed to be removed. The car had a problem in that the central locking would not operate, the car would start but not run for more than a minute. The ECU, immobiliser and central locking controllers were sent to the US for servicing, on their return they were reinstalled, battery replaced and the car ran and purred like a kitten.

I removed the engine, rebuilt the alternator, blower fan, replaced all visible oil seals & gaskets etc, the case was not leaking oil and as the car has only done 113,000Klm I decided not to split the engine, I rebuilt the steering rack, replaced all rotors, pads, sensors, dust caps etc etc, changed all lamps to Led & HID high beams.

All of the vinyl interior was replaced with black Nappa leather, Nappa leather seat covers were purchased from Lakewell, Black carpet mats and door cards were made by Prostitch who also supplied the carpet that I trimmed and installed.

The original interior was grey and in my opinion does not go with Adventurine green which was the original delivery colour. After much thought I decided to have the car painted Forrest Green Metalic. The interior colour was changed to black leather seats/trim, black & silver carpet and saddle door and rear side panel inserts and front knee bolsters.

All work was carried out in my garage, (I am exhausted) except for the painting which was carried out by Mona Vale Smash whom removed every external panel and a complete external shell repaint. please enjoy the photos

Things to do, labels, misc adjustments, paint detailing, the paint as shown is straight of the gun and needs final detailing and wax

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

14 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

12 months, a little heartache, sore fingers (no tears) and my little 993 Covid project is complete.

I bought the car sight unseen from an auction in Tasmania last year (thanks for the tip-of Two-heads).

Its a 1996, Varioram tiptronic Targa, (yeh! I know its a tipper, but after driving it for a week its starting to learn my driving technique and its getting better every day).

The car looked good on arrival but on closer inspection it was very unloved and neglected, paint was faded & scratched, interior was stuffed and required replacing. 25 yrs of under-car oil, crud and that dreaded delivery wax needed to be removed. The car had a problem in that the central locking would not operate, the car would start but not run for more than a minute. The ECU, immobiliser and central locking controllers were sent to the US for servicing, on their return they were reinstalled, battery replaced and the car ran and purred like a kitten.

I removed the engine, rebuilt the alternator, blower fan, replaced all visible oil seals & gaskets etc, the case was not leaking oil and as the car has only done 113,000Klm I decided not to split the engine, I rebuilt the steering rack, replaced all rotors, pads, sensors, dust caps etc etc, changed all lamps to Led & HID high beams.

All of the vinyl interior was replaced with black Nappa leather, Nappa leather seat covers were purchased from Lakewell, Black carpet mats and door cards were made by Prostitch who also supplied the carpet that I trimmed and installed.

The original interior was grey and in my opinion does not go with Adventurine green which was the original delivery colour. After much thought I decided to have the car painted Forrest Green Metalic. The interior colour was changed to black leather seats/trim, black & silver carpet and saddle door and rear side panel inserts and front knee bolsters.

All work was carried out in my garage, (I am exhausted) except for the painting which was carried out by Mona Vale Smash whom removed every external panel and a complete external shell repaint. please enjoy the photos

Things to do, labels, misc adjustments, paint detailing, the paint as shown is straight of the gun and needs final detailing and wax

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

can you please explain how  the tiptronic " it adapts to your driving style" ?

Love the Targa and the Tiptronic. I find with the Tip you have to learn how to drive it properly.  You always have both hands on the steering wheel and can change on the buttons before corners, when braking and so on and keep on the throttle.  Very useable car.