911SC project - What's it worth

Hi, looking for some guidance of what my project 911SC is worth. Info is as follows. No doubt values will vary. It has been in storage since 1996. 

The good

- matching numbers

- low miles (need to check but I think less than 50,000)

- excellent interior

- excellent Targa roof

- has import approval

- all panels are straight, not dints with the exception of the rear quarter panel which has a dint but it's an easy repair. 

- fully rebuilt suspension including new shocks all round, bushes and wheel bearings

- plenty of spares including two steering wheels

- currently on dolly

The bad

- California import, converted to RHD in the mid nineties looks like a cut n shut job. In saying that it looks like a pretty good conversion.

- engine manually cranks fine (currently not in car) however has not been running since 1996. It will need a compression test at the very least to see if it is OK 

- light rust in battery tray however I have a replacement 

- stripped down to chassis ready for restoration

- dint in rear quarter panel

- rear sway bar bracket damaged. The bracket has been reomved but it ill need a bit of work to fit the new one (which I have).

A bit rough in places but all the parts are there except the windscreen. Photo attached before I stripped it back to the shell. 

As stated it's a project car. Anyway let me know what you think it's worth. 

SC on trailer.jpg

I'm not a buyer, and it's only my opinion as someone who's done a couple at home; but this car will be most valuable to the guys that can do a lot of their own work.  A buyer is also going to have to presume everything will need to be refreshed or rebuilt and consider what a similar car in good driving condition is currently worth.  If you're paying a tradie an hourly rate, these projects are cost prohibitive.

If it is genuinely complete, rust free and just dings to deal with, and a running engine (or you can prove it was running prior to you stripping the car down) it might be worth up to $40k - there might be some subjectivity depending on the original colour and options.  Otherwise if everything needs doing there is $8+k in the body work and paint (and the problem with fresh paint, is you need to cosmetically refresh everything else to match - despite it being complete), $3-4k gearbox rebuild, $15-20k engine rebuild, and probably $20k in bits and bobs you don't factor in (seatbelts, headlights, windscreen need to be RHD and ADR compliant - fresh tyres, and brake rebuild).  For me a lot would come down to how well the RHD conversion has been done.  Were original RHD panels used anywhere, are the pedals original RHD or also cut/shut etc...? If it hasn't been registered here before I'd like to see documentation/engineering or something traceable as to who did the work (some states are gunna want to see it for rego or it's possibly going to need an engineer's sign off). 

58 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I'm not a buyer, and it's only my opinion as someone who's done a couple at home; but this car will be most valuable to the guys that can do a lot of their own work.  A buyer is also going to have to presume everything will need to be refreshed or rebuilt and consider what a similar car in good driving condition is currently worth.  If you're paying a tradie an hourly rate, these projects are cost prohibitive.

If it is genuinely complete, rust free and just dings to deal with, and a running engine (or you can prove it was running prior to you stripping the car down) it might be worth up to $40k - there might be some subjectivity depending on the original colour and options.  Otherwise if everything needs doing there is $8+k in the body work and paint (and the problem with fresh paint, is you need to cosmetically refresh everything else to match - despite it being complete), $3-4k gearbox rebuild, $15-20k engine rebuild, and probably $20k in bits and bobs you don't factor in (seatbelts, headlights, windscreen need to be RHD and ADR compliant - fresh tyres, and brake rebuild).  For me a lot would come down to how well the RHD conversion has been done.  Were original RHD panels used anywhere, are the pedals original RHD or also cut/shut etc...? If it hasn't been registered here before I'd like to see documentation/engineering or something traceable as to who did the work (some states are gunna want to see it for rego or it's possibly going to need an engineer's sign off). 

Hi, great feedback. I am thinking of setting up the engine on a test stand to see if it runs OK. Its the original paint as far as I can see (Metallic black). I have the headlights, in fact I think I have two sets and also 4 mirrors and the tea cup spoiler (probably should have mentioned that in my post). There is also a couple of boxes of spares I need to sort through. Thanks again for your feedback.

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Otherwise if everything needs doing there is $8+k in the body work and paint (and the problem with fresh paint, is you need to cosmetically refresh everything else to match - despite it being complete), 

Reckon you are a bit light on there John for paint and body work, would be likely more than double that in today's pricing which can also depend on whether you use a restorer with classic car experience vs. the local commuter car panel beater...

3 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Agreed = from past experience at least 4 times 

Porsche tax mate 👍

@Deesta you could ask $50-60k which is very optimistic and see how ya go. What's the worst can happen, people tell you you're dreaming and call you names, then end up selling it for what its probably worth? 

What's retail for a half decent converted Targa, $60-70-80k? Who knows until a seller tests the market, as its common knowledge people will pay whatever if they're desperate to buy an air cooled, as they're pretty thin on the ground sub $100k, especially right hand drive regardless if its converted or not.

I reckon advertise it for $10k more than you want (be realisitic) and see what offers you get, coz there will be a few knocking on your door I imagine

In the current market for SC's - I think an enthusiastic buyer would pay min. $45 K + , if it was genuine low miles good  under-structure with minor battery corrosion &/or rust.

This is about half what a good running example seems to bring these days, so there is potential for a car with good bones.

2 hours ago, crsedge said:

Reckon you are a bit light on there John for paint and body work, would be likely more than double that in today's pricing which can also depend on whether you use a restorer with classic car experience vs. the local commuter car panel beater...

I realise you're right - I haven't paid for a paint job in a very long time.  I know I spent nearly $4.5k on just Glasurit product alone 10 years ago.  And I know there was some pretty strong Porsche Tax back then!

To be fair I don’t think it’s a $60k car. After resto costs you’ll be over $100k for a converted SC 3.0. There’s an Australian delivered 3.2 Targa for sale at under $100k that has been for sale for a little while

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much apprecaited. I was considering selling it as I just don't have the time at the moment and then buy another project in the next 12 or 18 months time, when I have more time, however I think I am better of keeping it as they are few and far between. 

Anyway thanks again for all the feedback.