Fuchs RSR finish ruined after car wash

blue_ixxi

Hi all,

Took my classic to the car wash today and they sprayed something on the wheels that ruined the annodised finish on the lips 😔😔

They then tried using metal finish to clean it up, but it's not clearing up and the finish isn't the same annodised look.

Any suggestions what can be done to fix it? The thread describing the wheels restoration on PFA by the previous owner is here 

9D745A17-7F26-4A4E-9C2A-4CA1BD8145D5.jpeg

F0CF5D36-15B9-42ED-A7E3-9F119ACD9B5B.jpeg

That sucks - so frustrating when this type of thing happens. I had a tire shop put a deep scratch in one of my rims back when I lived in the US. I had it restored by http://porschewheelservices.com/ in California and was really happy with the result (the tire shop paid the bill). I just wanted to drop their name in here in case you end up looking for a place to fix this. Rick is much faster than the popular Harvey Weidman/Weidman's Wheels, and has loads of positive comments on his work on the Pelican Parts forums. 

Friend had her Macan detailed a couple of years ago and whatever they used caused a similar reaction on the window surrounds.  She was so disappointed as the Macan was her pride and joy (named Romeo).  He's since been bumped down the list slightly by the addition of Juliet, a 996 Turbo 🙂  Anyway, back to the story, our best detailer around town had a look and was able to largely recover the situation, but couldn't get it perfect 😞 

Thanks for the responses. Spoke to David from Classic Road & Track, and he had refurbished this wheel in the past for the previous owner. According to David, they must have used a wheel wash with caustic in it, and that damages the anodised lip for good. Only way to fix is refurbish them again 😕

Sadly the car wash didn't take ownership. According to them they had never even heard of anodised wheels, and they wash 100s of cars each day. Decided to file a claim with my insurer and cop the excess. Price to pay for being stupid taking a classic to a car wash (as good and as highly rated they might be)

Sorry to hear about your mishap @blue_ixxi.  Part of Porsche love is washing your pride and joy yourself, you'll get some strange looks as you start to drift into a feeling of bliss spending way too long guiding the most expensive microfibre sponge you can afford over those hips, I call it therapeutic  :D

3 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

😕

Sadly the car wash didn't take ownership. According to them they had never even heard of anodised wheels, and they wash 100s of cars each day. 

Bullshit. They know for sure

I'll add that they ARE responsible whilst the car is in their care regardless if they 'didn't know', as that's their 'profession', so if they damage your car in any way, that's their problem.

Don't just take it on the chin mate, let your insurance company hunt them down and force them to cough up, as these car wash mobs just pay a bunch of clowns $5 an hour whilst they're raking in the cash

Sorry to see this but that is why I stay away from car wash,s I can only imagine the peanut brains that work there , looks like what ever they put on the wheels had sodium Hydroxide in it and that strips anodize , like others have said if that is the case they need to be stripped back and re anodized .

What Dummies there are a number of wheels on the market that are anodized , not as common as paint or powder coat but they are still out there ..............Peanut brains :wacko:

The only person who washes my cars is me.  I have found that the Stainless Steel cleaner/ polish you can get at Coles give good protection on anodised wheels.  Give it a try

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/product/hillmark-stainless-steel-kleen-cleaner-250ml?uztq=46abcbb7e16253b0cdc3e6c5bbe6a3f0&cid=col_cpc_Generic|ColesSupermarkets|PLA|Household|Australia|Broad&s_kwcid=AL!12693!3!495221477975!!!u!296700385613!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6O_wZbQ9AIVSKqWCh3cYg87EAQYASABEgLLbPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

sounds like they used a caustic based product on your wheels.