3.0SC Engine Rebuild

Mike D'Silva

Let's see if photos are working for me...

tuz8rn3.jpg

OK, so photos now seem to be working.. 

This is a 3.0SC motor that has travelled enough kms to go to the moon (and start its return journey). Owner reported at least one broken stud and lots of oil leaks. There was no history of a prior rebuild so I went exploring. 

qs3EdzZ.jpg

Look at all that crud.. surprisingly not as bad as I would have thought for over 400,000kms??

AKJPMKj.jpg

Blocked oil cooler..... "normal"....

Air injection tubes still attached but blocked off... what's my screwdriver pointing to???rvzj4WB.jpg

yep, chain box stud working its way loose.. never seen that before? gdYZVXh.jpg

That's a lot of oil running down the side of the case

Apj6cZm.jpg

jYslDoZ.jpg

rocker shaft leaksWl1Msw3.jpg

Y2y2MNO.jpg

iHp3U7y.jpg

pinched oil cooler o-ring... lKqUkCn.jpg

Valve stem seal halfway up the valve stem!gAFgpyI.jpg

xHYmY4N.jpg

bits of old chain rail found throughout timing gear

2rjxGOR.jpg1a0jagv.jpg

rod bearings8JxSTaF.jpg

removing original head studs9vanH4q.jpg

HQfdMy7.jpg

After a LOT of cleaning we have

xty3G1Y.jpg

Still, several more hours are required to get to...pLUbm8R.jpgvjYTLYN.jpgOvNEWYM.jpgNhNdoT1.jpgpPmhz24.jpg

pLUbm8R.jpg

Now time to start assembly... MtkWyTM.jpg

yyykmzS.jpg

Crankshaft measured well with spec. 

The pistons and cylinders had obviously been replaced before.. some of the cross hatching was still evident in the cylinders and there was no obvious wear at the tops of the cylinders from the rings as you normally feel with high mileage motors. All piston skirts still had their machining marks and were not polished smooth. 

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Crankshaft measured well with spec. 

The pistons and cylinders had obviously been replaced before.. some of the cross hatching was still evident in the cylinders and there was no obvious wear at the tops of the cylinders from the rings as you normally feel with high mileage motors. All piston skirts still had their machining marks and were not polished smooth. 

Good stuff Mike , Been awhile since you have shared a build 👍

I'm a bit of a stickler for measurements... bolted all rods together with bearings... all clearances except one were good... Pulled the bearings out of the suss rod.. measured the rod... it was sized perfectly.. suspected the bearings... turned out one of them differed in thickness across the face of the bearing, by 0.12mm  !! Yep, that's a lot... into the bin and got a new set. 

HKyUGc5.jpg

2gaTPu4.jpg

QwrT238.jpg

cc'ing heads. 

If you've ever worked out the actual compression ratio for stock pistons from Porsche, 9.8:1 pistons do not measure anywhere near 9.8 in reality!

obzbXti.jpg

Getting the case ready for assembly.KRtNOAf.jpg

pf2JcPV.jpg

click your fingers and hey presto!

Tt5QHOj.jpg

23 minutes ago, Coastr said:

So what was this 400k motor running like?  Pulling strong or rattling and smoky?

Somewhere in the middle of those two options!

Bruce, I didn't drive it much before tear down.. just enough to get a feel for the gearbox and warm the oil to drain it all.. it didn't appear to blow much smoke but did have a leaky sounding exhaust.. possibly from the broken headstud. I didn't lean on it much on the drive, so cannot comment on if it was down on power much.

I'm certain that the cylinders and pistons have been replaced not that many kms ago, but several years at least as it was before the current owner possessed it.

I'm looking forward to getting it running again.