LeeM

Lee, start a build thread with a catch up on what you've done so far. This sounds interesting.

And where's the photos?!

Ask and it appears. Or reappears. Obviously I didn't see this a year ago.

It looks like most of the dirty work is done and you're on the way back to having a car you can drive and enjoy. I'll be following this.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Harvs, it's 95% bare metal now. Only the front guards are still white, as I lost interest real quick doing anymore paint removal in my garage! Thats a job for both of us to do when it goes to mates house next weekend and he can clean up afterwards!

The doors, hood, decklid and bumpers are all ready and in primer, so it's just the body prep and pan done, then paint.....probably!

First time out of the shed in 18 months! 

20140808_092146.jpg

And off it goes for body prep and paint!

We did some dent removal and welded up the sill trim holes for a nice smooth look, so it's just replacing the pan and not much more!

My mate's bodywork mentor went over the car and he was pretty impressed with it's condition which was nice to hear.

We've agreed on a time limit of the end of October, so I can try to attend the Victorian Day of VW show, or the local Volksfest here in Adelaide, so we'll see how it goes. Here's hoping it all goes well!

20140808_093941.jpg

:D He (LSK Transport) actually does all the transport for one of the wealthiest families in Adelaide with their 2 Porsche cup cars and all their other cars, A Mclaren, Ferrari's etc etc

He takes the cars to Mallala for the open days the Shahin famliy hold for his franchise owners.

Usually Dean Canto and another well known V8 racer is hired for the day to take the managers around for a few laps. Tough life!

• 1 month later...

Some good progress over the long weekend.

90% of the bodywork done and in etch primer, just the front guards needing some very small dents removed.

Hoping for the pan to be replaced this weekend

• 2 months later...

And it's time to paint!

20141213_133056.jpg

And now it's finally back home

20141215_155148.jpg

I've changed the wheels over to the Fuchs I have here, yet they are too wide, so I'll use them until I have my steelies painted and possibly widened

So happy right now though!

I'm making the list (checking it twice!) of things to do in the next couple of days, and ordering some bits.

I'll be doing bits n pieces here and there over the next month or so, and the paint needs to be polished after a week or so of curing.

We couldnt control the spray booth temperature last Saturday (34 degrees outside and inside. Needed low to mid 20's in the booth apparently) so the base coat and clear was nearly drying off the gun.

We could only use the booth that day, and the next opportunity was a couple of months away,and as I wanted to work on the car over the Xmas break, so we had to paint it then. 

My painter mate was very annoyed, as he knew the finish would be less than satisfactory, so we'll deal with that when he polishes it and see how it turns out. He is quietly confident though.

Will keep ya updated when I can

Cheers

I hope the paint comes up for you. Same thing happened to me many years ago and the paint would never come good. The jambs were done the day before and were great, but he rest of the body never took a shine like it should have. But that was a lo time ago and paints have moved on - if your painter is confident then you should be good.

My mate said the same thing, yet my only small gripe was that it was supposed to have been painted weeks ago.

Oh well, it is what it is now, and I have to keep my fingers crossed.

It will be polished and assembled, and no matter how it comes out, it will go for rego inspection, and driven around no matter what.

If there are paint issues, we'll sort them out mid next year, as I just want to get in and enjoy it. I've watched too many videos of Porsche's over the past year or so that has driven me nuts that I'm not out there cruisin, so there will be NO more waiting.

I still have to get the motor checked to make sure there are no dramas, yet as I have had it running months ago (and it was apparently rebuilt 5000 kays ago) it should be ok.

I know this may sound sad, but to have a black Porsche sitting in my garage is one of the best days of my life

A bit more done the past 2 days

I had some Dynamat that was I scored from Ben at Dadak Garage (cheers again fella), so i thought I'd throw it in here.

Easy stuff to work with.

Also started installing the old carpet bits and rear seat backrests. Carpet is still ok to use, yet I will make up some carpet for the floor.

The original rubber mats are still ok too.

I have one day to go, then I'm off for 4 weeks, so I'll have plenty of time to get stuck into it. Hoping to have the thing polished too

20141216_183755.jpg

Ha! I noticed that the other day,and it's annoyed me ever since, so I'm doing that Friday among a shedload of other bits that need a polish!

I have a new front bumper deco trim, but I just polished one rear bumper trim, but it's too dinged up, and the rubber insert is chipped here n there, so I'll order new ones.

I was polishing the chrome sill trims, and even they had dents on them, so I've smoothed them out as best as I could and came up pretty good.

The Nardi steering wheel was thanks to Chris (PFA member 9er) 

I've been looking at that hanging on the wall for months, so it got fitted 10 minutes after the car was delivered home

I have some issues with the throttle linkages thats driven me nuts for a while, and after HOURS of trawling the net to find a cure (usually bell crank problems) I'm still stumped! Oh well, it'll get sorted eventually

Oh don't worry, I have a list of 'Must do' being outweighed by 'Must have' at the moment!

Just came back from Bunnings, and their charcoal marine carpet is nearly identical to the old original stuff, just a bit cleaner! 

Still deciding whether to buy a full carpet kit. It's cheap at $450 US landed, when the quotes I had here last year were over $2500! Good old P tax!

I had fun refitting the carpeted bits last night.  I'd install one bit, then realising 'Ah shit, that goes in first, THEN that bit!' Ugh. Only floor carpet to go and thats done. Door seals were in great nick, as were the sill protector rubbers, so theyre back in.

Keep in mind that this is a budget 'resto', not a mega buck 100 point nut n bolt concours jobby.

There are bound to be enthusiasts that will pick on a few things, and thats cool, each to their own. I wouldnt have a whinge to them that their $2000 stereo isn't original equipment.

So far, everything but the Dynamat thats going back into the car was from the factory in 1966, and I reckon thats pretty cool for originality

I'm doing enough for it to pass an inspection with the rego mob, and drive it as much as possible and enjoy it for what it is.

Yes, I am being a bit pedantic with a few things since seeing some members cars here and Porsche resto's on the internet, and I could have spent many thousands more, but honestly, I don't see the value in doing that (except for bidding on 4 nos Porsche crest gearknobs, expecting not to win any of them, but winning 2!)

If I can't fix it, bash it, paint or polish it, I'll buy a new one.

One thing for sure, I'm enjoying the hell out of putting it all back together myself

Oh, and re the Nardi wheel. Chris (9er) had a Porsche crest made as the horn button, so it's pretty cool.

A guy I know said he can 'woodgrain' the original wheel for me, as he does custom airbrush stuff on cars and is a tattooist, so I'll get that done eventually.

I'd actually like to find one of those old leather lace up wheel covers too. My dad who is in hospital at the mo with a heart operation  says 'Why do you want that, to match the cheese cutter hat, safari suit, sandals and long oatmeal socks you'll have to wear'?

Always the smartarse my old man  ^_^

(sorry its a bit long winded)

Kicking goals today! Started polishing it all up

Massive credit to my mate that did the bodywork,

The roof was pretty wavy, yet he spent hours on it for this result.

20141222_220040.jpg

Both fenders had some little dings, yet the rear had some very bad repairs by the previous owner, and my mate learnt how to shrink metal on Youtube a month or so ago

Absolutely outstanding job. I really can't believe this is the same car!

20141222_161424.jpg

He's repainting the doors, hood and decklid this week, as he's fussier than I am!

This was wavy as buggery! It's only machine polished here though

20141222_135846.jpg

Archived