LeeM

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I finally took the 912 for a bit of a drive early this morning, just to check that everything works prior to rego inspection (in a controlled environment ofcourse!) 

It drives so nice for such an old car, (especially now that I have full throttle not half, and thanks to Buik's), and its a bloody shame that I have to sell it. I'm so glad I didn't do what I had originally planned, and I love the way the things I have done to preserve it's history are still evident, and that its not a perfect concourse car. It feels, drives and smells like a 50 year old car and it's not perfect which is what it's all about when owning a classic car.

I'm not expecting it to pass rego inspection first time, as they're very picky here, yet that will just prolong the agony of letting it go to it's new owner in the coming weeks.

Yeah I'm getting another Porsche, but in all honesty, it will be a sad day when this old one leaves my shed for the last time

Promise this is the last one! Excuse the crap pic. Looks a bit different with the hubcaps on. Thought I'd clean them up a bit on the polishing wheels fitted to my bench grinder

20160428_220452.jpg

1st stage of vehicle inspection is an I.D check, and I've played a gig infront of a couple of thousand people, but I've never been this nervous in my life!

Nice thing to drive once I got the hang of not trying to change gears with the window winder! Rides the bumps and steers well for an old car. I haven't given it the beans yet, as its still running in, but I reckon it'll be a quick little thing. Was smoking blue for a while, yet that seems to have gone, or atleast very minimal, yet is now not idling very well.

Bought some new hood n decklid gas struts, they were useless, so I had mine regassed. Well they worked for 2 days! Ugh! 

Once I.d is done, then its off to roadworthy to see how that goes

Edit!

Well that didnt go as expected!

Seems my car doesnt exist in Vicroads, or any government records, even though there is a Vicroads rego sticker clearly on the windscreen dated 2008 with the correct chassis and engine numbers to suit the car!

If they cant I.d the car I can't do the roadworthy,  so I have to take another day off work, pay another booking fee and permit! Dickheads

As brief as possible

SA I.d inspector says my car doesn't exist as per my post above.

After waiting for an eternity, I had to cancel the roadworthy. Got home and rang Vicroads, and they asked why the inspector didnt check the archives? I was on the pjone for less than 2 minutes and got the answer I wanted, so I rang the inspector with the above info that my car does actually exist, as do all the numbers!

'I was just about to call you mate'! Yeah sure numbnuts.

Rush to email rego mob for a LHD exemption to get another day permit, fly down to the rego office, and they can't find the fax that was sent to them by the inspector to say all is good. 10 minutes looking, and where did they find it? In the ' International registrations' file! More morons to deal with.

Go to counter to get new permit.  'Sorry sir, I need the hard copy of the the LHD exemption. An email doc is not acceptable'. Me. Heres the numbers, can you fill it out on that form infront of you? 'Yes, I can do that'. So do it, heres the cash, and I'm going home to relax and not punch someone in the throat!

A full day of nothing but frustration at the hands of completely idiotic government employees who don't give a toss that it has not only cost me money, but now 2 days off work instead of 1. 

And now I have a gig to play at from 8.30 till 12.30. 

That wasnt very brief. Sorry

Yeah, its a bit more relaxing playing a gig. I was 38 or 39 when I picked up my first guitar bud. I'm 50 now, and been a muso for 4 years. Its never too late to learn

Very true Stew, very true

See how Monday goes

I think you should all move south. Things are pretty cruisy down here. I can get most things "done" if you need them. It's a small community , even though the number of heads exceed the number of shoulders.

2 heads are always better than 1 Tazzie ?

Sitting at the inspection station (more like sh....ng myself), and a young bloke pulls up in a near new Corolla.

It was like watching a train crash with how many attempts he took to get it in the parking spot that one could have parked a semi trailer in! He still got it parked on an angle too

LeeM - have you seen the Porsche 912 book? - I have a spare copy if interested - sensational book dedicated to only 912's.

Congrats on getting her on the road.

Lee - below is the book link so you know which book it is.

Best 912 book ever.

I bought 2 - looking at $150 shipped to SA.

They both arrived with a small crush in the corner packets - not in shipping - in original packing it seems.

Will shoot you a picture of the actual book - tomorrow - just lat home from work.

They are selling for big money on ebay.

Amazon $110 usd ( $149 au) before shipping.

Murf

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-912-50-Years-Targa-Coupe-912E-Design-Data-Motorsport-book-limited-/361504558910?hash=item542b59cf3e:g:GtgAAOSwwE5WU7G2

I think you should all move south. Things are pretty cruisy down here. I can get most things "done" if you need them. It's a small community , even though the number of heads exceed the number of shoulders.

yeah.  Seen the weather, no thank you.  Other non-city parts of oz are just as nice without being assaulted by ice!

Lee - below is the book link so you know which book it is.

Best 912 book ever.

I bought 2 - looking at $150 shipped to SA.

They both arrived with a small crush in the corner packets - not in shipping - in original packing it seems.

Will shoot you a picture of the actual book - tomorrow - just lat home from work.

They are selling for big money on ebay.

Amazon $110 usd ( $149 au) before shipping.

Murf

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-912-50-Years-Targa-Coupe-912E-Design-Data-Motorsport-book-limited-/361504558910?hash=item542b59cf3e:g:GtgAAOSwwE5WU7G2

No worries Murf. Have sent you a message

yeah.  Seen the weather, no thank you.  Other non-city parts of oz are just as nice without being assaulted by ice!

It's only icy above 1000m! It's nice to have ice and chill after months of hot and dry. At least no massive post apocalyptic storms and hailstones.

There must be latitudes where the climate is "perfect". Unfortunately , everybody wants to live there - which is fine is you like crowds , and crowds of visitors!

Archived