LeeM

That's looking very special Lee, nice work from your "fussy" mate.

Congratulations on 1000 posts too. Your contributions to the forum are always a good read.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A THOUSAND? JEEBUS!!

Reckon the last time I checked it was 500ish!

See what happens when ya waiting for a car to.come home!

Thank you anyway. I'd like to thank my sponsors Mr Jack Daniels, Emptygarage.com.au etc etc ;-)

Yep, its turning out better than I had anticipated (yet kinda hoped it would).

My mate Mick has become more OCD than he usually is by his own admission.

He did want to do 2pac paint, but I talked him out of it due to the hassle of future touch ups from stone chips or minor chips n scratches repairs.

The thing I am mostly gobsmacked about (apart from it actually being close to completed) is the attention to detail with the bodywork.

Mick is not a panel beater or painter by trade, and he even looked up how to do it all properly on Youtube!

He's done his own panel work on his own cars before, and works in a crash shop, but not to this level of finish.

If people had seen the doors, roof, hood, decklid and 2 guards prior, you'd understand why I am so happy.

We knew it was going to be a tough ask with the black paint, but I would challenge any panel beater to do a better job.

Micks mate Pietro has replaced the floor pan, and you can't see the welds anywhere too.

If these 2 joined forces on their own, they'd have a lot of work.

I have had inquiries on Stalkbook with who did the work, and would they be keen to take on another Porsche. 'Maybe' is the answer, as they dont have their own facilities, and all work ( except using the paint booth) was done in a basic home garage where its small enough that you cant open the doors fully.

Sorry to bang on about it, but its just an outstanding job by the pair of them for what they have achieved.

I know painters and beaters that used to do work like that.

Years later, processing the jobs they're in a rut and over it. So over it, they don't even wish for the goodoldays. Sad because they are masters of their crafts.

It's an added bonus then that you've been able to benefit from your mates devotion, and they yours. Not to mention another P car resurrection. :)

Cheers mate

Mick has got to the point of wanting to learn the old school process even more since starting my car.

Both my doors were practically throw aways (we very nearly did, and I nearly bought another set. Thankfully Chris/9er, got in when I snoozed on them)

There is hardly any bog, just very light skims here n there, so its all down to Mick and his patience and obvious OCD!

We couldve finished the car mid last year if we painted it White again, yet due to Mick, Mark (JNR356) Steve (Wasserkuhl) and the people of this forum and many Porsche enthusiasts around the globe (and Youtube!), it is turning out far better than i had expected.

I have the car I have dreamt of for 38 years, and its awesome.

A big thanks to all for your encouragement and advice to a Porsche newbie, it IS appreciated.

And the polishing continues!

Getting there gradually. The doors, decklid and hood needed to be repainted, so as you see this pic, the door has not been polished due to my impatience and wanting a photo with it on

20141227_140155.jpg

This is the repainted door after it was stripped and repainted (clear over base by the way. Think it was 7 coats of base and 4 of clear)

It hasnt been polished yet, and even my mate was amazed how well it came up straight off the gun

20141227_100812.jpg

This panel infront of the rear wheel was what could only be described as rooted!

Mick learnt the metal shrinking a few weeks ago and had a go at it. A very good result I reckon

20141227_132015.jpg

I was going to order new carpet, but for originality, I am using the old stuff and dying it with vinyl dye (good ol Youtube again!) and using the original rubber mats that I cleaned up and came up a treat.

I'm making some door trims this week, so I'll see how that goes

Cheers.

Yeah Hugh, I've seen a few 912's n 911's with the rubber mats. Most people restoring them fit it out with carpet. Mine looked knackered, but I have some Meguiars dash cleaner foam that brought them up nice. Good for originality I reckon.

Just need a bit of rubber mat behind the seats.

I wasnt going to be too particular with this car, yet its evident now that I'm being a bit more pedantic, which is a good thing really. It will still become a bit of a hot rod style car, and I MAY drop in a 6cylinder or hot 4cyl in the far off future, yet for now, I just wanna drive the sucker!

Cheers guys

Lots done today now that its not 4000 degrees in the shed!

Both doors fitted up with glass and rear popouts, and little nick nack things. Man it looks good!

Will try n post a pic from this tablet thingy I got for my birthday.

Just waiting for bumpers to be repainted again and few other bits fitted. The boxes of parts are nearly empty, so thats a good sign.

Getting there  :D

Both sides done. Love the factory tinted windows!

In hindsight, I should have rechromed everything, but honestly, I couldnt be bothered. Will probably do it in the future though.

Still have to adjust the door gaps, but theyre not far off.

Hood needs new gas struts and few little bits n pieces that I'll probably order this week, yet a mate's 911 project has stalled indefinately, so he's bringing some bits over for me to use in the meantime

9b717c04-1618-439e-a187-e9c94d8b4e8d.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the large pics

Nearly there. test fitting bumpers this time.

Just waiting on my door trims to come back, fit up the steel wheels and I'll be starting the roadworthy process

20150216_155514.jpg

I also scored some rare Ronal 5.5 alloy wheels that I will fit when it's on the road.

I wanted something different to Fuchs, yet I have the stock 4.5in and some 5.5 steel wheels as an option

10922594_10152663891162984_6984900240265

Cheers all, I appreciate your comments  ^_^

I was going to get into a few things today (refitting the front bumper and fitting tyres to the stock steel wheels), but it's 40 degrees here, and the shed is probably 9000 degrees!

I have a gig to play at a bit later, and one tomorrow, so I'll get back into it next week.

I gotta say, once I drove it out of the shed for the first time, the natural light really makes the thing pop (after I dusted it off)

Reckon I sat and just looked at it for an hour! I love this thing.

My mate has done a helluva job on the bodywork (except for the paint chips yours truly has added being in a shed the size of a Vegemite jar  :rolleyes: )

As mentioned, I only have door trims to fit, and some little annoying things that I'm not overly happy with, then its drill coupla holes in the door for the RH side mirror for rego requirements (I'm gunna hate doing that. Measure thrice, drill once!)

I'll be sending it to a local shop to give it the once over with a tune and service, and check everything. 

I'd rather do that before inspection, than having them reject it on a $3 part.

Regarding the LHD experience. It's weird!

I drove it around the block which was ok, yet getting it back in the shed, I was paranoid I'd clip the bumper on the roller door post.

I'll get used to it eventually, as I'm planning a big long drive as soon as it's rego'd. Can't wait

• 5 months later...

For those that have asked, this is how it looks now with 4.5inch steel wheels I painted silver

I have 2 5.5's I will eventually clean up with the original grey paint colour, as well as the Ronals.

I havent touched the car for a while for various reasons, yet I'm HOPING to have it ready for rego in a few weeks

20150321_141042.jpg

For those that have asked, this is how it looks now with 4.5inch steel wheels I painted silver

I have 2 5.5's I will eventually clean up with the original grey paint colour, as well as the Ronals.

I havent touched the car for a while for various reasons, yet I'm HOPING to have it ready for rego in a few weeks

20150321_141042.jpg

no wonder the Japanese have taken notice. Nice car lee

Archived